Cover for RT-340 Disappointing

marmadmax

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I have a new RT-340 which I just love. I also got the Rec Tec fitted cover. Based on the wear I am seeing in just 2 months of use, the cover will not likely last an entire season. Has anyone found a suitable cover alternative for the Rt-340?

Where is the wear? Mine seems fine but I'll check it if you tell me what to look for. It is a snug fit.

Where is the wear? Mine seems fine but I'll check it if you tell me what to look for. It is a snug fit.
I am in AZ so the sun is brutal on most all covers. That said, I put silicone corner guards on the hopper lid as without there would have been tears after the second use. The two top lid guards/supports appear might be an area that is going to be a problem. I have covered the tops of them with heat resistant felt like material. I just expected more quality product based on the quality of the smoker. I would like to find another brand of cover that fits the 340. Thanks for the reply.

Covermate, have purchased for BBQ Grillware grill and found a cart cover to fit a cart and griddle combination. Good quality on 4th yr for grill cover, Excellent yet.
Should be able to find something that will work, it's not going to be exact. Both purchased here.
https://www.the-cover-store.com

I am in AZ so the sun is brutal on most all covers. That said, I put silicone corner guards on the hopper lid as without there would have been tears after the second use. The two top lid guards/supports appear might be an area that is going to be a problem. I have covered the tops of them with heat resistant felt like material. I just expected more quality product based on the quality of the smoker. I would like to find another brand of cover that fits the 340. Thanks for the reply.

No problems in the spots you mention, I do see where the outer corners of the pellet bin could/will be a problem and may do like you did with the corner guards. Still, there is no issue with the cover at this point, got it whenever it was that Trump sent us a check for no reason, April I think, so 5 months +/-. Ask again after the winter.
I do see where it looks like it's discoloring a bit, compared to my year old KingKong cover on the Weber, it looks a bit shabby.

Of the 3 grills I have out in the elements, the gasser that has a Seasons Sentry by Atleisure on it looks the most heavy duty. No idea if they make one that'll fit the RT.

I wonder how long these things are supposed to last, seems every couple years I have to get new ones. Got 18 months on the Seasons Sentry so far. It replaced a Kingkong that lasted 24 months.

Try www.coversandall.com. While these aren't grill covers specifically, they do offer heavier weight materials that might stand up to the elements you're talking about. The covers are custom made too. All you provide is the measurements of your product. There's even a place on the order form where you can upload a picture of what you're wanting to cover for their reference. I ordered one for a mobile workbench that I use for a prep table next to my RT-700. I'm very pleased. Look 'em up...

I don't have the brutal sun, such as you but my cover is doing pretty good . I also put some 3M corner guards on too. I use those on all my cookers and they work well.

Goodness I hope my 590 cover lasts more than 24 months. I am not expecting it to last forever but for the cost I expect more than 2 years.

When the time does come to replace my 340 cover, I will go with one of the sites that do custom covers. There is really nothing stock that will fit and be of good quality. Just my thoughts.

I bought a Nexgrill heavy cover for my son-in-law's 340 from Home Depot. I believe it was 48" x 20" x 30". I think the price was somewhere around $30. Fit great. I wondered if the 20" depth would go over the grill, but is easy to put on & take off. No reason that it won't last for quite a while. He stores it outside (Detroit - so will have cold weather, but out of the wind), so time will tell.

Also got him a heavy plastic round garbage can with a tight fitting lid for pellets. It probably will hold 3 to 4 - 20 lb. bags. He keeps it outside. I have a similar one for my 590, but I added a 1/2" foam insulation weather strip to the top rim of the can, so there are no air gaps when the cover is on. I live in Florida, and mine is under a roof, so more of a problem with humidity & bugs.

I was at Home Depot earlier today. The size is for a 42 x 20 x 28 grill, but the cover is slightly larger. It doesn't go all the way to the ground, but it probably doesn't matter. $24.95. Nexgrill

I was at Home Depot earlier today. The size is for a 42 x 20 x 28 grill, but the cover is slightly larger. It doesn't go all the way to the ground, but it probably doesn't matter. $24.95. Nexgrill
I just registered today so I could reply to this post (and maybe to other future posts). THANK YOU for posting the details of this grill cover. I stopped by Home depot yesterday on my way home and picked one of these up, not knowing how it would fit my new RT-340. It fits perfectly and apparently is a much cheaper option than the OEM RT-340 cover sold by RecTeq.

I received my first recteq grill 12/24/21 I ordered the 340 with the upper interior shelf and the cover. I am not sure if the cover is new design or material but this is the best quality grill cover I have seen. Appears to be very well thought out cover not exact shape of the grill but it has air vents at the bottom 4 corner buckles really happy with the setup.

That's different from the one I got in early 2020. Can you post a pic of it on the grill? it's about time for a new one for me.

The best thing to do have one made at a boat canvas shop. They will make it out of Sumbella, it’s an acrylic fabric that is waterproof and will hold up in the sun for many years. If you are not picky about the color you can usually get a good deal.

I have the OEM Reqtec cover for my RT-340 and it seems to be holding up well after several months. The fit is snug, but not tight, on mine and I find that if you take an extra few seconds to make sure it is properly aligned, it slips on very nicely. I like the fact that it goes all the way to the ground (actually, about an inch above ground).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back