Bull Couple pork butts!

BigButtSmoke

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Couple pork butts I put on yesterday at 2 pm. Meat church honey hog and hot honey hog. 12lb and 8 lb. 16hrs on xtreme smoke. Now time for wrap and bump to 225 untill i.t. Of 203. Going to be feeding the whole shop around noon!

Attachments

• FFEFC555-A8E9-4C19-9187-E67747E9AF38.jpeg
    FFEFC555-A8E9-4C19-9187-E67747E9AF38.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 224
Shockingly I've had my bull since Christmas last year and still haven't cooked any butts on it, or ribs for that matter. Cooked lots of other stuff but not the typical bbq items.

Shockingly I've had my bull since Christmas last year and still haven't cooked any butts on it, or ribs for that matter. Cooked lots of other stuff but not the typical bbq items.
Nothing wrong with that! I like cooking butts because it’s easy and it feeds a lot of people, I also don’t really have to pay attention to it so that’s a plus! I’ve started experimenting with various sandwich meats. Just did some roast beef out of an eye of round that came out pretty darn good!

Interesting! 16 hours on extreme smoke is something I've not tried on mine. The constant fan cycling makes me wonder about wear and tear on the motor. But, those temps would be a lot closer to what I used to do on my old Traeger, which would run in the 180 range. How did it turn out?

I did two butts on mine this last weekend too. Started at 2130 at 225--it was about 35 degrees outside--and ran them naked until about noon, then wrapped them in paper. Heated to 205 internal after that. Other than the app not working, as usual, it was a great cook.

Interesting! 16 hours on extreme smoke is something I've not tried on mine. The constant fan cycling makes me wonder about wear and tear on the motor. But, those temps would be a lot closer to what I used to do on my old Traeger, which would run in the 180 range. How did it turn out?

I did two butts on mine this last weekend too. Started at 2130 at 225--it was about 35 degrees outside--and ran them naked until about noon, then wrapped them in paper. Heated to 205 internal after that. Other than the app not working, as usual, it was a great cook.
They both turned out really great! I was a bit lazy on these ones and left the fat cap. I usually trim it all off as there is so much fat in the butts to keep the meat moist and you get much more bark without it. The 16 hours on xtreme gives the bark a real deep smoke flavor that i really like when I’m doing a sweeter cook. These particular butts were rubbed with honey hog and I used pure honey as a binder. Splash a little hot sauce on top of the pulled and it makes for a great flavor profile. I actually let these go for about 24 hrs total on the bull as I was busy working and couldn’t run home. Very juicy and damn near pulled itself!🤣

I used the Honey Hog last week and loved it. I really want to do the Hot Honey Hog, how was it and how hot? Not everyone in my family can take as much heat as myself.

I used the Honey Hog last week and loved it. I really want to do the Hot Honey Hog, how was it and how hot? Not everyone in my family can take as much heat as myself.
It was very good! Personally I didn’t feel like it was hot at all. My entire family ate it, kids and all and not one of them said anything about it being spicy. I personally would like more heat but the flavor is very good!

I love doing butts. I have noticed they cook much faster and seem more tender on my 340 vs the 700.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back