Costco Wagyu Corned Beef

Could we get a bit more detail: temp and time parameters, etc. I like what I see and would like to give it a shot some time.

Could we get a bit more detail: temp and time parameters, etc. I like what I see and would like to give it a shot some time.
I gave some details in post #10 regarding soaking to remove some of the salts and a general idea on cooking times. I pretty much wing it depending on how much time I have. But this is what I did specifically for this cook:
Put the meat on at noon @ 200
2:00 pm went to 225
5:00 pm went to 250 to speed things up a little (meat temp was about 150-155).
6:30 pm wrapped in butcher paper. Meat temp was 165ish but more importantly the bark was were I wanted it.
8:00ish pm I went to 275 because it was getting late.
Took the meat off at 195. The first one at 9:00 pm, second at 10:00 and the last @ 11:00.
You could start @ 180 for a couple of hours for more smoke then jump up to 250 until the wrap, then 275-300 to finish after wrapping. I really think it would be hard to screw these up.

I had forgotten we still had 2 SRF wagyu corned beef rounds in the freezer from last year. We fixed one on St Patrick's day. We changed it up with fried cabbage instead of boiled. That was great. We decided that is how we are doing it from now on. Highly recommend it. Add garlic, onion, bacon, etc., to your liking.

Today I started soaking the next one for smoking (pastrami).

20230326_111319.jpg

Last edited:
Took it out of the de-sal bath and trimmed the fat, whipped up an ad-hoc pastrami rub from black pepper, coriander seed, mustard seed, garlic and onion powder.

It's running at max smoke for now. I'll run there until I can't stand it, then crank it up to get some bark before wrapping and finishing in the oven. It's already 1 1/2 hours into smoke.

BTW, this is the first time I've run the recteq since last fall, IIRC. Same pellets that were in the hopper since then too. I did scoop them out and ran the auger to make sure it wasn't locked up. It's rained here about every week for months. I did notice that some of the pellets were crumbling on top of the hopper. But very few. I just sifted them around the bucket and scooped the pellets back in.

20230327_135923.jpg

Looking good! Do you mind sharing the rub recipe? I’m still not totally satisfied with mine.

Looking good! Do you mind sharing the rub recipe? I’m still not totally satisfied with mine.

WB,
I started out using the recipe here https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci.../home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe/ (theres a link in there to the rub recipe)

But for this cook, I just whipped up the rub based on what I had on hand and eyeballed it. A combination of of a few tablespoons total of crushed black peppercorns (ziplok and hammer), and coarse ground black pepper, a tablespoon or so of coriander seed crushed, maybe a teaspoon of mustard seed crushed, maybe 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and about the same onion powder.

20230328_094522.jpg

I too have used the amazingribs.com rub recipe (as well as his technique for corning the beef in the first place). I pretty much follow his rub recipe depending upon what I have on hand at the moment of truth. I may tweak some day, but at the moment, it's a good starting point for sure.

I too have used the amazingribs.com rub recipe (as well as his technique for corning the beef in the first place). I pretty much follow his rub recipe depending upon what I have on hand at the moment of truth. I may tweak some day, but at the moment, it's a good starting point for sure.

I've used his curing recipe 8-10 times over the years and the rub recipe several times. I used yellow mustard as a binder for the rub. I loved the spicy, tangy flavors. But there was something about that rub that upset my stomach just a bit. I'm still not sure what it is. So, I dropped the mustard this time, as well as deviating on the rub.

I had some yesterday in a sandwich and it was great stuff. No adverse reactions.

But there was something about that rub that upset my stomach just a bit.

I pull back out the coriander powder and just use the crushed coriander seeds as I thought it might get a little too astringent/harsh. I have not used a binder as I think the corned meat is tacky enough to hold on to the rub.

I pull back out the coriander powder and just use the crushed coriander seeds as I thought it might get a little too astringent/harsh. I have not used a binder as I think the corned meat is tacky enough to hold on to the rub.
Yeah, I didn't put much mustard seed in it and no mustard powder, coriander powder, or paprika. Seems to be compatible with me. Just had a half a cold pastrami sammich. So guuuuuud! .... as one of the sushi chefs, at a joint we frequented used to say.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back