Costco Run

Do you cook it like a brisket just faster? Just slice & eat like brisket?

Yes sir same way, and just do coarse grain Kosher salt and course ground black pepper "50/50" for seasoning. I like to add a pan of water for some good humidity, I usually smoke about 250 for some smoke and a bit more heat than 225/230. My son and I love to dip any sliced beef in a good horseradish sauce.......OMG so good!!!

Yes sir same way, and just do coarse grain Kosher salt and course ground black pepper "50/50" for seasoning. I like to add a pan of water for some good humidity, I usually smoke about 250 for some smoke and a bit more heat than 225/230. My son and I love to dip any sliced beef in a good horseradish sauce.......OMG so good!!!

Sounds like it.. always looked at chuck roast as a crock pot kind of cook. Something else to add to my "to do" list :)

I actually just bought a chuck roast from WFF and also one from my local butcher, which was chuck flap meat. They told me chuck flap is same as chuck roast. Not sure I followed, but all of their meat is awesome.
Going to smoke one, low and slow and the other burnt ends.

However tomorrow we are having Beef Stew as it is going to be cold and windy in the ATL!

I've been trying more cuts on the RecTeq lately. I really like doing all different cuts. It's the exploring part of bbq. Maybe all this "meat shortage" stuff has driven me to try different cuts.

But, I'm still anchored to tri-tip. It's just such a great piece of meat and easy to do well. Still my favorite beef cut.

I've been trying more cuts on the RecTeq lately. I really like doing all different cuts. It's the exploring part of bbq. Maybe all this "meat shortage" stuff has driven me to try different cuts.

But, I'm still anchored to tri-tip. It's just such a great piece of meat and easy to do well. Still my favorite beef cut.

Have a tri-tip from WF waiting for me in the freezer. Only had one before and it was from Costo (not their brand) pre-seasoned package which was nasty... felt bad even feeding it to the pups. Looking forward to a real cut with our own seasoning. Do you cook hot & fast?

Have a tri-tip from WF waiting for me in the freezer. Only had one before and it was from Costo (not their brand) pre-seasoned package which was nasty... felt bad even feeding it to the pups. Looking forward to a real cut with our own seasoning. Do you cook hot & fast?
I have a complicated way of making it. I put my favorite rub on it generously. I get it really cold (not froze) by putting it in the freezer about an hour before grilling. I take it out of the freezer and put in on an extremely hot lump charcoal fire, where the coals are very near the grate. Sear quickly, without cooking internally (that's part of the very cold temperature), put it back in the freezer to cool down again. Set up for smoking with mesquite wood/rectec with mesquite pellets. Put it on the smoker at around 200F-225F and smoke until desired doneness (for a steak, medium rare, medium, etc.).

While all this is going on, I pour a quart of beef stock into a saucepan, add a 1/4 cup of the rub, couple tablespoons of Dale's Steak Sauce, tablespoon of Franks Red Hot Sauce, teaspoon of worchestershire sauce, heat to a boil and simmer for 10-20 minutes to get the rub mixed in well. Cool the mixture to below the meat doneness temperature (below 130F for med-rare, etc.).

When the meat is done and rested, slice it thin using a carving knife, across the grain. I cut my tri-tips into two chunks to maintain the cross-grain rule. Put the sliced meat in a deep tray and pour the beef stock mixture (Au Jus) over the meat. If you have time, the longer it sets in this mixture, the more the smoke and au jus flavors marinate into the meat.

I like to chill the meat overnight before slicing, so I can get nice thin cuts about 1/8" thick, consistently. If you keep this sliced meat in your fridge, you'll find yourself getting a few slices out of the fridge while it's cold. Even cold, it's soooo gooooood.

Here's what I use. That brand of beef stock is rich and dark. Swanson beef broth is like water in comparison.
20220312_062358.jpg

I have a complicated way of making it. I put my favorite rub on it generously. I get it really cold (not froze) by putting it in the freezer about an hour before grilling. I take it out of the freezer and put in on an extremely hot lump charcoal fire, where the coals are very near the grate. Sear quickly, without cooking internally (that's part of the very cold temperature), put it back in the freezer to cool down again. Set up for smoking with mesquite wood/rectec with mesquite pellets. Put it on the smoker at around 200F-225F and smoke until desired doneness (for a steak, medium rare, medium, etc.).

While all this is going on, I pour a quart of beef stock into a saucepan, add a 1/4 cup of the rub, couple tablespoons of Dale's Steak Sauce, tablespoon of Franks Red Hot Sauce, teaspoon of worchestershire sauce, heat to a boil and simmer for 10-20 minutes to get the rub mixed in well. Cool the mixture to below the meat doneness temperature (below 130F for med-rare, etc.).

When the meat is done and rested, slice it thin using a carving knife, across the grain. I cut my tri-tips into two chunks to maintain the cross-grain rule. Put the sliced meat in a deep tray and pour the beef stock mixture (Au Jus) over the meat. If you have time, the longer it sets in this mixture, the more the smoke and au jus flavors marinate into the meat.

I like to chill the meat overnight before slicing, so I can get nice thin cuts about 1/8" thick, consistently. If you keep this sliced meat in your fridge, you'll find yourself getting a few slices out of the fridge while it's cold. Even cold, it's soooo gooooood.

Wow!! That is quite the process! I was thinking of a meal during the week LOL.. certainly will bookmark this for when time permits. You are very creative :).

Just checked our local Costco. Brisket is $4.67/lb and chuck roast is $6.42/lb! Looks like I'm eating chicken again this weekend.

I checked my Costco Thursday, Prime Brisket $3.99 per pound. Moving in the right direction, c'mon $2.99 (y)
With diesel prices and gas prices going up so much the last month or so I doubt the $2.99 will be seen again.

I checked my Costco Thursday, Prime Brisket $3.99 per pound. Moving in the right direction, c'mon $2.99 (y)

Dang, nice! I paid something like $4.79/lb for prime brisket at that same Costco two weeks ago. Might have to go back for a cheaper second one.

This is what I recall as well.
My only "warning" on Costco meat, is --- beware of the words "Blade Tenderized" They seem to do that to most of their "self-packaged" meats. (the exception being Fillet Mignon, and a few others I am sure) There is a chance of bacteria getting pushed into the meat, and therefore you would "need" to cook to 165+. (defeats the purpose of getting a Prime Rib.) I have purchased Prime Rib from there, and cooked it to my liking without issue, but there is always a chance (like eating raw chocolate chip cookie dough, I have done it all my life, and never had any issues, but there is a chance of getting salmonella.)View attachment 13180
My local Costco butcher told me that they sterilize the tenderizer machine at 4 hrs of use. Hmmn I assume that is continuous use? I usually vac seal and age them for 20-30 days, I would expect the bags to swell a little by then, but never have they done so. The main contamination that I fear is from the hands of the many shoppers who pick up the package to look at it and the one below etc. So I usually spray the wrapped package with a safe food disinfectant i.e. Lysol, before I remove the meat to vac seal it. If you want to do some eye opening research on food contamination, just go into the restrooms of most supermarkets and see how many people wash their hands after leaving the stalls. It will shock you. And for those that stop at the sink for a dash of water and drying!!. Also worth the effort to pick the packages that have been put out closest to the day of packing. Picky, picky but worth it IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back