Costco Run

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I was at Costco today just browsing the meat cooler. I found something different for my store...beef back ribs. I won't say I never had them, but I know I never bbq'd them. Anyone give me some insight/advice?
20211021_134952.jpg
20211021_134955.jpg

I was at Costco today just browsing the meat cooler. I found something different for my store...beef back ribs. I won't say I never had them, but I know I never bbq'd them. Anyone give me some insight/advice?View attachment 13177View attachment 13178
I did some a month ago. I put some pepper steak seasoning on them. Started them at 225 the whole way until they hit 200-202 and probe tender. They were good. The strange thing is the meat between the bones swelled and grew, so there's plenty of meat on them. For ribs.

Beef back ribs are often from the same larger cut as prime rib. The meat will be between the bones and very tasty.
That makes sense. I recall doing a bone on Prime rib roast for Christmas dinner a number of years ago. I cut the ribs off just before serving the meat for dinner, then put the ribs back on the smoker with some additional rub. They were done long after everyone had left and were probably getting tucked in. Man were they good.

Beef back ribs are often from the same larger cut as prime rib. The meat will be between the bones and very tasty.
This is what I recall as well.
My only "warning" on Costco meat, is --- beware of the words "Blade Tenderized" They seem to do that to most of their "self-packaged" meats. (the exception being Fillet Mignon, and a few others I am sure) There is a chance of bacteria getting pushed into the meat, and therefore you would "need" to cook to 165+. (defeats the purpose of getting a Prime Rib.) I have purchased Prime Rib from there, and cooked it to my liking without issue, but there is always a chance (like eating raw chocolate chip cookie dough, I have done it all my life, and never had any issues, but there is a chance of getting salmonella.)
1634877332010.png

Thanks Hawk,
I've known about it for quite a while as it's been stated here many times and on other forums. No one could recall an ecoli outbreak from costco steaks and the most popular doneness is medium-rare 135F. Probably many thousands of steaks from costco are eaten medium rare every day. So, up til now, they've managed the risks well.

As for a prime rib roast, they are not blade tenderized. So, cook them without fear.

As long as you roast the beef back ribs nice and slow they come out great

I've known about it for quite a while as it's been stated here many times and on other forums.
Well poop. I feel pretty silly posting that then. (I was not aware until a friend told me a year or so ago) Oh well, I guess I fall into that dreaded category from the quote: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Well poop. I feel pretty silly posting that then. (I was not aware until a friend told me a year or so ago) Oh well, I guess I fall into that dreaded category from the quote: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."
nonsense. we are all here to communicate. i didn’t know about blade tenderizers. never noticed it on my meat before. sounds like a very unaggressive cube steak machine.

No sweat Hawk. I had looked over a bunch of steaks. But I can't recall of Costco blade tenderizes their Prime grade steaks.

On the beef back ribs, I just cleaned up the grates a bit from the last ribs 4-5 days ago and trimmed the fat and pulled the membrane on them. There was a lot of fat on the cavity side. I don't think it would have rendered completely.

The are on smoke at 275F with a mesquite pellet filled smoke tube and a mix of oak, cherry, and apple in the hopper (cause it was already in there from the pork ribs). They look like they should be great...as long as I don't screw them up.
20211022_131613.jpg

Actually, this is the first I recall reading about this so I appreciate your comment. I buy a lot of my meats from Costco, so something to look out for-thanks!

2 hrs down and its starting to look pretty good. I haven't spritzed (napping). I don't think I'm going to based on what I'm seeing. They have a nice glisten to them and they are starting to pull back from the bone. Still plenty tough though.

I'm using some Killer Hogs Steak Rub for the first time. Tastes like garlic, onion, black pepper, and a little salt. Should be good.

20211022_151955.jpg

At the 3 hr mark and they are almost tender. I'm starting to think about how to finish them...neat/no-sauce or sauced. I was leaning toward no sauce. I asked my wife and she said "sauce".

I think I'm going to have to do part "no-sauce" for me.

20211022_162024.jpg

At the 3 hr mark and they are almost tender. I'm starting to think about how to finish them...neat/no-sauce or sauced. I was leaning toward no sauce. I asked my wife and she said "sauce".

I think I'm going to have to do part "no-sauce" for me.

View attachment 13186
Looking Good! :cool:
I'm like you. No sauce please.

They finished up around the 4 1/2 hour mark. Meat was tender and smoky. I really like the flavor, but as my wife noted: lots of bones, not so much meat. Still, I'll put this down as a success. We ate about half the rack. So, more delicious ribs for later. Thanks to you guys for the help.

BTW, that Killer Hogs Steak Rub is great. The bark on these ribs was incredible.

Last edited:
They finished up around the 4 1/2 hour mark. Meat was tender and smoky. I really like the flavor, but as my wife noted: lots of bones, not so much meat. Still, I'll put this down as a success. We ate about half the rack. So, more delicious ribs for later. Thanks to you guys for the help.

BTW, that Killer Hogs Steak Rub is great. The bark on these ribs was incredible.

Prob would not have sauced either but just wondering what was the sauce you used on beef ribs?

They do look good.. even if they were lean on the meat it looks enjoyable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back