Costco Run

Look fantastic! So what is your preference Baby Back or Beef ribs?

Prob would not have sauced either but just wondering what was the sauce you used on beef ribs?

They do look good.. even if they were lean on the meat it looks enjoyable.
My wife likes KC Masterpiece, a sweet sauce. I sometimes add a bit of rub and Frank's Hot Sauce for me.

I went to costco on Thursday and picked up a full packer 18lb brisket and a slab of pork belly. Now the decision is do I cook the brisket tonight or cook the pork belly tomorrow and make burnt ends for sundays meal?
20211023_160814.jpg

Went again today.

Found a flat that looked like it had a lot of marbling for a choice cut. Trimmed it up clean on both sides as I'm intending to make brisket chili with it later in the week. I added a smoke tube with straight mesquite (LJ) pellets. The hopper has 50/50 LJ Mesquite/RT Blend (oak). I want that smoke to come thru in the chili. But it might end up too good to make chili with it.

20211114_142724.jpg
20211114_144008.jpg

I told the wife I was going for tritip. But the selection was poor in the choice stack. I shoulda just went to the prime cooler.
I'll make an au jus that should help it out.

20211114_145629.jpg

Well poop. I feel pretty silly posting that then. (I was not aware until a friend told me a year or so ago) Oh well, I guess I fall into that dreaded category from the quote: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."
I've noticed the same thing of some of the steaks at Wild Fork, which is a popular place to order meat.

No way I'm paying $11.99/lb for brisket. I've already noticed I'm grilling less now that meat has doubled in price the last couple of months. Hoping it is just a temporary spike or may have to sell some of my grills do to lack of use.

No way I'm paying $11.99/lb for brisket. I've already noticed I'm grilling less now that meat has doubled in price the last couple of months. Hoping it is just a temporary spike or may have to sell some of my grills do to lack of use.

Yeah I hadn't noticed that until I had it on the grill. I had bought a bunch of other stuff and didn't pay attention to prices. I would have just bought a whole packer instead. Live and learn. The hard way sometimes.

But it came out nicely. I sampled a piec and my wife had several slices.

The tritip also came out better than I would have guessed for such a lean piece.. I cooked it M-R and the smoke ring was visible. I'm not always able to get that much smoke and still keep it that rare..
20211114_211804.jpg

Last edited:

Well, I'll just say that it's going to be one expensive pot of brisket chili. :D:cry:

Well, I'll just say that it's going to be one expensive pot of brisket chili. :D:cry:
It's OK. I say something like that about the Whole Foods turkey my better half orders every year. Once it is on the table, no complaints from me. Maybe all the beers during cooking helps. I'm sure that will be great chili.

Chuck roast is better than brisket IMHO, easier/quicker to cook, and cheaper.........go with chucky's. :cool:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back