Costco Prime Top Sirloin Cap Off Steaks

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
A sporting clays shooting friend gave me a tip the other day. He had grilled some steaks from Costco and thought they were "da kine". I went to Costco a couple days later and was looking for something to bbq. I recalled my friend's recommendation on the steaks. I picked the most marbled steaks they had.

I usually do my steaks on charcoal and mesquite wood on a komado. That's how this was done. Grilled over red glowing coals within a couple inches of the steak. Mesquite wood chunks in a triangle around the 10" charcoal basket. Good smoke and lots of heat. Grilled to 100F in the core of this 1 3/4" steak, then immediately place on a plate, covered with foil and a dish towel for 10 mins to finish cooking. It came out a perfect medium rare.

The steak itself was so tender it surprised me. Somewhere between a filet minion and prime ribeye. Incredible big beef flavor and so tender. You have to try these.
20210222_144242.jpg
20210223_182913.jpg

Last edited:
My wife came home late lastnight after caring for her elderly mother. I had saved half of that steak for her. I carefully warmed it in the microwave (without cooking it further) and served it to her with nice cabernet. She really liked it and said it was one of the best steaks we've had.

One of my all-time favorite steaks is the inverse of this found at Costco. They have a steak called the "pinwheel steak" which is the cap or spinalis dorsi from those cap-off steaks (technically the ribeye, not the strip but you get the difference). They truss them together and for the longest it was among the cheapest per-pound "steaks" you could get at Costco. I use the term steaks loosely here since it's technically not a whole-muscle meat the way a traditional steak normally is. That said, it's close enough and is one of the most flavorful steaks you can eat. I think the secret got out because they became more difficult to find and when you could the price had skyrocketed. They went from the cheapest per-pound steak that Costco had to the most expensive in short order and now they're just impossible to find at our local Costco anyway. If you can find one, I suggest trying it. They're delicious!

One of my all-time favorite steaks is the inverse of this found at Costco. They have a steak called the "pinwheel steak" which is the cap or spinalis dorsi from those cap-off steaks (technically the ribeye, not the strip but you get the difference). They truss them together and for the longest it was among the cheapest per-pound "steaks" you could get at Costco. I use the term steaks loosely here since it's technically not a whole-muscle meat the way a traditional steak normally is. That said, it's close enough and is one of the most flavorful steaks you can eat. I think the secret got out because they became more difficult to find and when you could the price had skyrocketed. They went from the cheapest per-pound steak that Costco had to the most expensive in short order and now they're just impossible to find at our local Costco anyway. If you can find one, I suggest trying it. They're delicious!

These?
20210222_144319.jpg

Rib cap is hands down the best steak on the animal...it's a shame everyone else found that out too and the prices have skyrocketed

That's them. The $19.99/lb price is lower than what I've seen lately (when I was able to find them) by about half. There was once a time when you could get those very same cuts of beef for about a quarter of the per-pound price pictured here. Those were the days...
That picture was from Monday this week.

I did a marinade on mine to get them extra tender. Then hit them with St. Elmo's rub and on the 700.

Finished off in riot mode on the Bullseye for reverse sear.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back