Corned Beef Brisket on the Bull tonight!

Devimik

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Had a great birthday/St. Paddy's Day celebration today - cooked a corned beef brisket with cabbage, onions, golden beets, and potatoes. Even grilled some polenta that we happened to have with it. Made a light gravy from the stock it was partly cooked in. Came out darned good - then, after eating dinner, cooked some Spam - smoked it, then grilled it on Full. Damned good. My wife made a killer cheesecake from scratch for dessert. The RT700 performed again!

Man, all of it looks great! Smoked polenta, never would have thought. It all looks like a good meal. What type of prep/debrine did you do for the beef? I debrined one a month or so ago for 12 hours with a couple water changeouts and it was still pretty salty.

Man, all of it looks great! Smoked polenta, never would have thought. It all looks like a good meal. What type of prep/debrine did you do for the beef? I debrined one a month or so ago for 12 hours with a couple water changeouts and it was still pretty salty.

Thanks, it was pretty good. We happened to have some leftover polenta from another meal and I decided it would be good smoked - glad it was as I would have otherwise thrown it out.

I actually started with a pre-brined corned beef brisket - you know the ones in the sealed packs - got it from Whole Foods - Wellshire brand. Was not too salty at all.
1584539486367.png

Had a great birthday/St. Paddy's Day celebration today - cooked a corned beef brisket with cabbage, onions, golden beets, and potatoes. Even grilled some polenta that we happened to have with it. Made a light gravy from the stock it was partly cooked in. Came out darned good - then, after eating dinner, cooked some Spam - smoked it, then grilled it on Full. Damned good. My wife made a killer cheesecake from scratch for dessert. The RT700 performed again!

I have not corn beef on the smoker yet, I have a pre-package corn beef packaged in brine. How do you suggest the best way to cook it?
Thanks Greg

I followed a recipe on the Traeger site, which I would modify next time. It said to smoke the brisket at 180 degrees for 2 hours, then add chicken stock and beer, cover and cook at 325 for 2.5 hours, then add potatoes and carrots and cook for 20min, then add cabbage and go another 20. I think the vegetables need more time and I would smoke it longer - maybe 3 hours and I'd cook mine longer - maybe 3 at 325 covered. Here's the recipe - check out the reviews for modifications to it that would be good.
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/beef/corned-beef-and-cabbage

Thanks! Yes, I guess it is like pastrami since it's smoked and corned beef is not usually smoked - probably a different cut than normal pastrami, but definitely tasted like a cross between corned beef and pastrami. :D

Thanks! Yes, I guess it is like pastrami since it's smoked and corned beef is not usually smoked - probably a different cut than normal pastrami, but definitely tasted like a cross between corned beef and pastrami. :D

In the past couple years, I made some corned beef/pastrami with tritip and when I finished the dry spice after curing, I smoked it to 150F internal (no steaming). It was great stuff.

Cool - will have to try that - I am just learning about all the good stuff I can cook with the RecTec. Thanks

It looks amazing. Im ready for the whole meal. As far as de-salting the corned beef, t takes a while, sometimes more than 12 hrs. Keep changing the water as often as you remember. Its a killer when the pastrami is too salty. Sometimes I cut a small piece off and pan fry it to see how salty it is. It seems to get saltier after smoking. I'm guessing its because its more concentrated.

For your pastrami, are you guys doing a wet cure followed by a dry spice. I did a 10 day wet cure then a 4-5 day pepper/coriander based dry spice (rub) marination on a yellow mustard base. Seemed a bit over the top for my tastes, but I got rave reviews.

I had a 4 lb corned brisket that I cut in half & used 2 lbs of this for some corned beef & cabbage that my wife did in the crock pot. It was not salty at all. I have a the other 2 lb piece of corned brisket that I would like to try making pastrami. Looking for recipe ideas. I have a Trailblazer that I have used quite frequently with good success but have not done a brisket yet.

If you can do over night in the fridge uncovered it may help the rub stick, but I have rubbed and then on to smoke immediately. I use a few juniper berries in my rub along with the black pepper, coriander seed, mustard seed, garlic, onion and mustard powders.
This is a tri-tip converted to pastramism.
0606042115_resized.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back