Corn on the Cob

Mlmurrah

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have been cooking corn on the cob for years on charcoal and gas grills. I like to cook it until it chars slightly. The only time I have tried corn on the Bull I did not get a char, and we may be forced to fire up the gas grill for corn. Any ideas on how to get a char on corn on the cobb on a Rec Tec?

Last edited:
I have only cooked it on the Bull once, and it didn't work out well (had to finish on the Weber grill)... I will be interested to see the replies for this.

The only time I have tried corn on the Bull I did not get a char
Welcome to the the darkside of pellet grills. The bull is a great machine, in the larger picture i am a recent convert to pellet grills. However with that said, it will never take the place of all others or be the sole unit i own. For many reasons but for the simple fact there is no direct flame. You have your sear grate advocates, i do own sear grates (long before i owned a pellet grill) and they are great. But nothing and i mean nothing can reproduce what direct flame does to anything it touches. Before i run off on 14 different tangents, depending what i am cooking, I may use charcoal, pellet or a combination of both. If something needs direct flame, i simply fire up the flame when needed and use it as desired. And if the bull is now all you own, get a charcoal chimney and use it for any searing or flame that you need. Small form factor and charcoal is cheap.

That is why I still have and always will have my weber gas along side of my Bull. I got the sear plates with the package when I got my Bull, but do not use them very often. Still no direct flame, takes too long to get up to temp, etc. If I need flame, I fire up the weber, if I need smoke it is on the Bull. I love my Bull, but to me it is a more of a pellet smoker than grill. I almost never get the temp above 350 on the Bull.

That is why I still have and always will have my weber gas along side of my Bull. I got the sear plates with the package when I got my Bull, but do not use them very often. Still no direct flame, takes too long to get up to temp, etc. If I need flame, I fire up the weber, if I need smoke it is on the Bull. I love my Bull, but to me it is a more of a pellet smoker than grill. I almost never get the temp above 350 on the Bull.

I'm hoping to replace my Weber Gas grill with the Bullseye - I'll wait to list it though until I can confirm... I really like the idea of not having tanks of propane around the garage...

This ^^^^^ I've probably said it a hundred times. A pellet grill is nothing more than a pellet fired convection oven that puts a little smoke on the food. They have their place but will never replace gas and charcoal cookers!

I have been cooking corn on the cob for years on charcoal and gas grills. I like to cook it until it chars slightly. The only time I have tried corn on the Bull I did not get a char, and we may be forced to fire up the gas grill for corn. Any ideas on how to get a char on corn on the cobb on a Rec Tec?
What temp are you cooking the corn on the cob at? I've done corn on the cob more times than I can recall on my Rec Tec Bull without any issues as well. They have always come off chard and delicious.

Please tell us how you do it.
Sure.

We leave the corn in the shuck, but before we put it on the RecTec we will peel back the shuck to cover the corn in butter, then pepper and salt and then push the shuck back like normal.

Turn the grill up to 500 and let them cook for a few minutes on the normal RecTec grill grate (wire). The other half, as normal, is my Grill Grates (sear grates) that I'll then place hamburgs, etc. Cook the burgers for about 3-4 minutes each side then pull the burgers and corn both off.

If I had to guess, I'd say the corn is probably on the grill at 500 for about 15-20 minutes or so?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back