Cool down cycle....lid open or closed?

FTRecTec

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
What’s the consensus on shutting down your grill with the lid open or closed? I’ve always turned it off and just left it closed but wondering if I’d be better off leaving it open to cool down faster.

What’s the consensus on shutting down your grill with the lid open or closed? I’ve always turned it off and just left it closed but wondering if I’d be better off leaving it open to cool down faster.
I think turn it down a little for a little while and then hit the off button with lid down. Can a grease fire happen with the lid up?

I shut the grill off lid closed, I really don't think it matters except for having to go out later to close it you do the opposite. I do set the controller to LO before shutting it off so it's ready for the next cook.

Well, lets say you hit the shutdown button, raise the lid, grab your beer and head in. I think if a grease fire was to start it would be better with the lid down. So I vote lid down @FTRecTec.

Its really not a "cool down". That cycle with the fan running continuously is to help effectively put out the fire by burning off the pellets in the pot.

After I shut mine down, I noticed that there were still un-burned pellets in the pot when I was cleaning the grill. Does the auger come back on after the fire is put out, to bring fresh pellets in for the next cook?

After I shut mine down, I noticed that there were still un-burned pellets in the pot when I was cleaning the grill. Does the auger come back on after the fire is put out, to bring fresh pellets in for the next cook?
The grill does add pellets to the fire pot after the 5 minute fan running cycle when the grill is shut off, I'm thinking this is more to prevent burn back in the auger tube than priming the fire pot for the next cook, at times you may notice these pellets smoldering for awhile or completely burned up when cleaning the fire pot. When you turn on the grill it also adds pellets to the fire pot before the igniter starts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back