Cooking Naked Tomorrow

Pops

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Ribs, that is.....So I have only done the ribs with a modified 3-2-1 as mentioned in this forum multiple times and they have been awesome for BB ribs, St. Louis etc.
So with encouragement from the brethren in this forum, I am cooking a rack of spares naked tomorrow.

I think 225 until they pass the bend test spritzing every hour or so.

Any last words???

Ribs, that is.....So I have only done the ribs with a modified 3-2-1 as mentioned in this forum multiple times and they have been awesome for BB ribs, St. Louis etc.
So with encouragement from the brethren in this forum, I am cooking a rack of spares naked tomorrow.

Any last words???
Looking forward to the results Pops.
So many different variables with ribs, I have had my ups and downs, but it’s bbq and it’s a learning curve for sure.

I don't sprits either as it is another way to just cool them down but no harm if you choose to do so. Just one way to see what works for you.

What I have done in addition is put on smoke for 1 hour before going to 225.

As @MikeyB says, ribs vary so much. Just try a few ways until you get what dials it in for you. Sticking with the bend test is a smart move. It doesn't hurt just to probe them and see where they are temp wise also.

Whew, @Pops; you had me going there for a minute. I had visions of you grillin’ ribs sans duds. Glad to hear this is still a “family” forum. :ROFLMAO: The “naked” ribs will turn out fine; I frequently do them that way—with duds on, of course!

Any last words???
Wear an apron when cooking naked.

Any last words???
I have never done the 3-2-1 method. I have spritz once or twice but not normally. I let the smoke and our personal rub do the work. They have always gotten rave reviews. Just watch the temps and time, not peeking until you think they are getting close. Good luck and I bet they will be great!

Ok, the results are in.
I started with a spare rib, I did not trim, only pulled the silver skin. Mustard and Screaming Pig rub.
Set grill to 225, which I must say my 590 is a rockstar, it held temp all day, I am amazed by this grill.
So my thoughts...
I was surprised it took 6 hours, but it did.
The bark was phenomenal.
The smoke ring was throughout, never had that before .
It was different than the wrapped, but I must say I enjoyed them.
Not as moist as wrapped, but not dry, just different.
If I did again, I would trim to St Louis Style.
Not sure I would do Baby backs naked as they may dry, but interested to hear others.

Had Corn and Collard Greens with the Ribs, nothing better!

All in all, no matter what I cook on my RecTeq it is good. Even if I make a mistake still good.

Next up looking to cook some burnt ends.
Smoking.jpg

Finished.png
Plated.png

Ok, the results are in.
I started with a spare rib, I did not trim, only pulled the silver skin. Mustard and Screaming Pig rub.
Set grill to 225, which I must say my 590 is a rockstar, it held temp all day, I am amazed by this grill.
So my thoughts...
I was surprised it took 6 hours, but it did.
The bark was phenomenal.
The smoke ring was throughout, never had that before .
It was different than the wrapped, but I must say I enjoyed them.
Not as moist as wrapped, but not dry, just different.
If I did again, I would trim to St Louis Style.
Not sure I would do Baby backs naked as they may dry, but interested to hear others.

Had Corn and Collard Greens with the Ribs, nothing better!

All in all, no matter what I cook on my RecTeq it is good. Even if I make a mistake still good.

Next up looking to cook some burnt ends.
View attachment 15805

View attachment 15806View attachment 15807
That looks really good. And, I’m a big fan of collard greens; love ‘em. Well done, @Pops! Even with being done “naked”…ahhh…let’s not go there.

Those look great.
Now you know you have another option to meet your taste.
Heck, you can even do one wrapped, and one not at the same time.
I'm happy with my RecTeq results as well.

@Pops …Thanks for sharing your experience with that “project”. I’ve been wanting to try that as well because my ribs are moist but falling off the bone tender when I wrap them.

I've found not wrapping always ends up drier. Maybe an unwrapped experiment with adding a water pan? Hit that sweet spot. After watching a YouTube video with Henry Soo, don't think I'll ever do 321 method again.

Looking forward to the results Pops.
So many different variables with ribs, I have had my ups and downs, but it’s bbq and it’s a learning curve for sure.
I haven’t ventured into the spares just yet. I stay in the BB and St. Louis backyard. I’ll be curious to see the results. My dad swears by 3hrs of smoke and a finish in the oven. I may try that this weekend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back