Bull Cooking in the Rain

BradBQ

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I apologize if this was discussed elsewhere, I was only able to find one thread on this and didnt contain the info I was looking for. I am doing a 12# after trim packer and a 8.5# pork shoulder for a friends get together tomorrow. I checked the radar and it is now saying it may rain towards the end of my cook. After I wrap I know I can move to the oven, but would like to avoid that if possible. Has anyone had issues with their 700 cooking in the rain or has anyone had issues having to shut down and move your 700 midcook in the instance it starts raining hard pre-wrap?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I apologize if this was discussed elsewhere, I was only able to find one thread on this and didnt contain the info I was looking for. I am doing a 12# after trim packer and a 8.5# pork shoulder for a friends get together tomorrow. I checked the radar and it is now saying it may rain towards the end of my cook. After I wrap I know I can move to the oven, but would like to avoid that if possible. Has anyone had issues with their 700 cooking in the rain or has anyone had issues having to shut down and move your 700 midcook in the instance it starts raining hard pre-wrap?

no issues in the couple I've done here. The first time it started raining (biblical monsoon even for SoCal), I panicked and put up an ez-up. It kept me dry, and the bull mostly dry. The next time, I didn't have room for the ez-up, so she cooked in the rain, and I had great bbq, and a story.

Short story: You should be fine. As another forum member has helpfully suggested in the past, turning a half sheet pan/cookie sheet upside down and placing it over the controller for protection is a great idea.

Long story: By pure accident, I had a brisket 12 hours into a cook on my bull when an unexpected severe thunderstorm rolled through at 3 am.

I followed the other forum member’s recommendation and did the cookie sheet maneuver.

I had 4 hours and 4 inches of pouring rain, 60 mph winds, hail, patio furniture scattered a across my lawn, and the demise of my patio heater as it blew over a wall. My neighbor’s trampoline ended up upside down, over a fence, and on top of another neighbor’s tree.

The grill? It was like nothing happened. Temps stayed as steady as they were before, there was no damage, and there was no water in the hopper or anywhere else it shouldn’t be.

The “disaster brisket” turned out pretty decently, too!

Short story: You should be fine. As another forum member has helpfully suggested in the past, turning a half sheet pan/cookie sheet upside down and placing it over the controller for protection is a great idea.

Long story: By pure accident, I had a brisket 12 hours into a cook on my bull when an unexpected severe thunderstorm rolled through at 3 am.

I followed the other forum member’s recommendation and did the cookie sheet maneuver.

I had 4 hours and 4 inches of pouring rain, 60 mph winds, hail, patio furniture scattered a across my lawn, and the demise of my patio heater as it blew over a wall. My neighbor’s trampoline ended up upside down, over a fence, and on top of another neighbor’s tree.

The grill? It was like nothing happened. Temps stayed as steady as they were before, there was no damage, and there was no water in the hopper or anywhere else it shouldn’t be.

The “disaster brisket” turned out pretty decently, too!
If this story isnt a vote of confidence for the bulls ability to handle the elements I dont know what is. Ill have a sheet pan on hand and will let her roll without concern! Thanks everyone for the replies!

D6BD8B5D-49D6-4111-8360-AD6F52987754.jpeg

Get one of these, works great. I bought this one at Harbor Freight for about $50.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back