Cooking advice needed.

Sully1546

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So I need to know what time and temp for this? Haven't seen them in 17 years and won't for another 17 so want to take advantage while I can.
cicada.jpg

i like to give them a dry rub of 7 dust and smoke them slow to brake down the shell. 225 for 1.5hr per oz live weight and make sure you let it rest when done for about 2hrs. i usually just put them in my pocket to rest and go about my day for the next two hours until its lunch time. good luck and let us know how it goes

i like to give them a dry rub of 7 dust and smoke them slow to brake down the shell. 225 for 1.5hr per oz live weight and make sure you let it rest when done for about 2hrs. i usually just put them in my pocket to rest and go about my day for the next two hours until its lunch time. good luck and let us know how it goes
@chadinsc What should the internal temp be before the final resting place?

I would use the bend test.. you want to make sure they are done and given the variances in the breed along with their diet, time & temp are not always the best way to go.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm at a loss here.

I wrapped my cicadas in butcher paper. I let them rest with the lights off only to find that they disappeared. Did I under cook them? Should I have used foil instead of butcher paper?

hard to say without more details chris but it sounds like it could have been severely undercooked or incinerated. however to answer your question foil double wrapped is the only way bud. i like this thread lol

hard to say without more details chris but it sounds like it could have been severely undercooked or incinerated. however to answer your question foil double wrapped is the only way bud. i like this thread lol
Thanks @chadinsc for your help.

I agree with double wrapped foil, it's clear the butcher paper doesn't work. I think @mooncusser2k may have a point. I should have used the Wagyu cicadas to avoid this issue.

Practice makes perfect, back to the pit!

Do not skip the important probe tender test with your micro-needle instant read thermometer. Also beach towel and cooler for the two hour rest. This will also prevent escapes by any undercooked ones.

Where do you guys in California find them? We’ve got tri tip coming out our ears but I can’t find Cicadas and I’ve looked everywhere.

they like to eat leaves and vegetables. but are easy to spook. so if you load the grill with veggies and wait them out they will actually climb in. and thanks to our smart grill technology you can turn the grill on without spooking them. aslong as the app is working

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back