Bull Controller problem? Not so sure.

Bama BBQ

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Yesterday was a super busy cleaning day on the Bull after it went haywire & overloaded the firebox with pellets, smoke & heavy smut.
It smoldered & bellowed heavy smoke so thick I could barely see the grill under my carport to turn it off. Of course when I did hit the OFF button the fan kept running & then the lid popped up about 8 inches high when the raw pellet gas ignited with a low boom. Got it unplugged, the lid raised & found what little grease that was on the drip pan in flames (foil had just been changed before the cook) and had maybe 30 minutes of cook time on some ribs when this happened.
I literally had to scrub & rinse the entire cabinet inside with steel wool & stainless cleaner to get rid of the soot & smut, this means emptying the pellets, flushing everything a little at a time with water & using a shop vac to suck it up until it's clean, (no drian on the bottom of the barrel) drying everything out with forced air & a heat gun & clearing the auger tube of pellets that didn't come out. It wore my old azz out but I did get it clean.
It has been getting more & more unpredictable since I was told to change the auger rate from 30 to 65 because it was having a hard time hitting high temps & various temp swings during some cooks.
More than once it would come up to set temp, stabilize & run solid for 30 minutes or so & then start losing temp by 5 - 1 5 degrees at a time & not recover, keeps going down until I would have to unplug & start all over again & then it might or might not run as intended to finish the cook. Other times the temps would increase & keep going up into oblivion until it was shutdown to restart again. Yes, I've had some solid cooks too, it seems if it's something like burgers or chicken cooking for 30-45 minute at 375 -400 degrees it doesn't mess up as often, however; 3 big meals have been totally ruined in the last 2 weeks & I use it a lot. In my mind, ruining $150 or so in groceries is unacceptable unless it's something stupid like running out of pellets or a power outage etc.
Today I talked with a couple of RT customer service reps, one of them asked me for pics & I sent them, another rep ran me thru the test screens & it passed on all of them.
They first thought it was the fan, then maybe my pellets. They were admittedly perplexed & said they would talk it over & call me back.
There's been a few times when the controller screen is lit up appearing normal but the fan or the auger would quit working later into the cook, I unplug it & start over & everything runs fine again. I simply can't trust it to run all the way through a cook without watching it every second for it to have a controller brain fart !
Got the call back & they have decided the PID controller has or is gone bad & have one on the way, these guys do have good customer service & for that I'm thankful.
Hopefully this will fix it & I can relax & not have to watch it like a stick burner on steroids :)

Last edited:
Yesterday was a super busy cleaning day on the Bull after it went haywire & overloaded the firebox with pellets, smoke & heavy smut.
It smoldered & bellowed heavy smoke so thick I could barely see the grill under my carport to turn it off. Of course when I did hit the OFF button the fan kept running & then the lid popped up about 8 inches high when the raw pellet gas ignited with a low boom. Got it unplugged, the lid raised & found what little grease that was on the drip pan in flames (foil had just been changed before the cook) and had maybe 30 minutes of cook time on some ribs when this happened.
I literally had to scrub & rinse the entire cabinet inside with steel wool & stainless cleaner to get rid of the soot & smut, this means emptying the pellets, flushing everything a little at a time with water & using a shop vac to suck it up until it's clean, (no drian on the bottom of the barrel) drying everything out with forced air & a heat gun & clearing the auger tube of pellets that didn't come out. It wore my old azz out but I did get it clean.
It has been getting more & more unpredictable since I was told to change the auger rate from 30 to 65 because it was having a hard time hitting high temps & various temp swings during some cooks.
More than once it would come up to set temp, stabilize & run solid for 30 minutes or so & then start losing temp by 5 - 1 5 degrees at a time & not recover, keeps going down until I would have to unplug & start all over again & then it might or might not run as intended to finish the cook. Other times the temps would increase & keep going up into oblivion until it was shutdown to restart again. Yes, I've had some solid cooks too, it seems if it's something like burgers or chicken cooking for 30-45 minute at 375 -400 degrees it doesn't mess up as often, however; 3 big meals have been totally ruined in the last 2 weeks & I use it a lot. In my mind, ruining $150 or so in groceries is unacceptable unless it's something stupid like running out of pellets or a power outage etc.
Today I talked with a couple of RT customer service reps, one of them asked me for pics & I sent them, another rep ran me thru the test screens & it passed on all of them.
They first thought it was the fan, then maybe my pellets. They were admittedly perplexed & said they would talk it over & call me back.
There's been a few times when the controller screen is lit up appearing normal but the fan or the auger would working quit later into the cook, I unplug it & start over & everything runs fine again. I simply can't trust it to run all the way through a cook without watching it every second for it to have a controller brain fart !
Got the call back & they have decided the PID controller has or is gone bad & have one on the way, these guys do have good customer service & for that I'm thankful.
Hopefully this will fix it & I can relax & not have to watch it like a stick burner on steroids :)
I hope you get the issue resolved. Seems like pellets is always the first suspect and then not using the controller default settings.

I hope you get this all sorted out. I'm sure REC TEQ will get you through it but I know it's frustrating. BTW, I was in your neck of the woods over the weekend at a youth basketball tournament at SMPA in Albertville.

There's been a few times when the controller screen is lit up appearing normal but the fan or the auger would working quit later into the cook, I unplug it & start over & everything runs fine again. I simply can't trust it to run all the way through a cook without watching it every second for it to have a controller brain fart !
I don't think that I would adjust the auger rate to 65 on low temp cooks, I would keep it at 30. If you need high temps for a cook, I would use the app and adjust it accordingly per the cook. It sounds like it was pushing way too many pellets into the firebox for a low temp cook and therefore the boom.

I hope you get the issue resolved. Seems like pellets is always the first suspect and then not using the controller default settings.
I hope you get this all sorted out. I'm sure REC TEQ will get you through it but I know it's frustrating. BTW, I was in your neck of the woods over the weekend at a youth basketball tournament at SMPA in Albertville.
Thanks, hope you & yours enjoyed your visit, that's quite a complex.

Thanks .... I'm sure CS simply tries to rule out common problems first, funny how one will say if it's not on 65 to set it there & others higher up the chain say "in your case put it back down to 30.

I don't think that I would adjust the auger rate to 65 on low temp cooks, I would keep it at 30. If you need high temps for a cook, I would use the app and adjust it accordingly per the cook. It sounds like it was pushing way too many pellets into the firebox for a low temp cook and therefore the boom.
I agree 100% & I do use the app for adjustments per cook & in small steps; it seems this PID is doing one thing at a time well but becomes corrupt later into the cook when trying to maintain temps, fan & auger feed control.

As for the explosions, leave the lid open until the flame is established.
Yeah, kinda common sense. I always make sure ignition is good & temp is climbing before walking away to prep meat. In this case the "explosion" didn't happen until well into the cook, the controller started dumping more pellets than it could burn, causing the flame out with embers igniting the gas build up.

My 340 did that recently on startup. I waited and waited for smoke and finally shut it down and removed everything and found a pile of pellets in the pot. Cleaned it out and left some pellets over the ignitor and started it back up so I could watch and it worked fine. Hasn't done it since so I guess that will remain a mystery.

I spoke live with RT and the guy I spoke with insisted that the lid be closed at start up. Hmmmm.
Same here. I'm new to pellet grills but saw a few Youtubers mention this method with other pellet grills and Traeger having it as part of their start-up with some of their grills.

My 340 did that recently on startup. I waited and waited for smoke and finally shut it down and removed everything and found a pile of pellets in the pot. Cleaned it out and left some pellets over the ignitor and started it back up so I could watch and it worked fine. Hasn't done it since so I guess that will remain a mystery.
PID controllers are usually very consistent in how they work but when they glitch out it pays to keep an eye out for sure. As with any grill/smoker you can't take anything for granted, gas, electric pellet or otherwise. My Bull resides under a mostly closed in 30 X 30 carport close to where my bass boat & John Deere also sit, can't have them destroyed either. From now on I'm gonna roll it out away them 10m-12 feet just incase there's another problem.

Last edited:
Mine is parked in the garage during the winter months and gets rolled outside to grill. Twice it's reignited the pellets dropped in at the end of the shut down cycle due to,I guess coals left over, filling the garage with smoke. Now I leave it outside for 1/2 hr before rolling it back inside. I think I'll find out if I can lengthen the fan duration in the shutdown cycle.

Mine is parked in the garage during the winter months and gets rolled outside to grill. Twice it's reignited the pellets dropped in at the end of the shut down cycle due to,I guess coals left over, filling the garage with smoke. Now I leave it outside for 1/2 hr before rolling it back inside. I think I'll find out if I can lengthen the fan duration in the shutdown cycle.
I saw the potential of that happening, you just confirmed it.

I saw the potential of that happening, you just confirmed it.
I’ve experienced it twice now, but only when shutting down after a hot cook. Now if I’ve been cooking at 375* or above, when I’m done I turn the grill down to low and then let it run another 5-10 minutes. After that, a regular shutdown has always worked.

Hopefully the controller resolves the issue.. the main point of the RecTeq is consistency.. if that is gone honestly it is just like the others. I have had minor temp swings and one start up issue (overfill) following cleaning the pot and I'm almost convinced the pot should not be touched and will self clean. Not sure how long I want to test this theory but on more than one occasion I have seen others with the same. I know yours was not this situation since it was mid cook. I have also never done anything other than turn it on and use it for settings. Never adjusted anything.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back