RT-1250 Considering a 1250 but have questions

Steve4tw

First time posting on the forums so hello everyone. I have been contemplating a pellet grill for some time and stumbled onto RT. From what I gather they have great CS and make a grill that's higher quality than anything I have bought from Walmart or Home Depot in the past. So despite the fact that I have never smoked before our used a pellet grill, my big propane grill died and so here I am. I am sure the 1250 does great on slow cooking, but my main curiosity is how quickly the grill can come to temp for fast/hot cooks (say 400 to 500)?

I want to learn how to smoke and am excited for those cooks, but I would also like to be able to fire it up and quickly make some burgers, hotdogs/links, or chicken thighs/drums. I am also curious how long it would take to get the grill from 200 or so to a searing temperature between 500-700 depending on if I had the add-on grates for a reverse sear. I know I saw somewhere that the 3rm auger helps heating up a good bit, but I am curious about real-world experience. I live in southern oregon so the climate is pretty mild.

My original thought was to get a bullseye or another brand grill for fast/hot and then get a 590 or 340 for slow, but I would prefer just 1 unit if possible. The advertised up to 700 temp gave me hope the 1250 might do that. Thanks for the help. This is a big purchase for us and I want to make the best choice. the 1250 is a lot and I can only justify it if it does what I need and if RT's reputation is true and the grill is going to last me at least 8 years or so. Thanks for any help/advice!

The 1250 gets to higher temps and faster than 700. For an all in one buy the 1250 and searing plates. Ive heard it's 80f to 500f in less than 20 minutes. My 700 is more than twice that long to 450f so they did make improvement.

I haven't heard anyone reqretting either pit and doubt you'll be the first.

More than 8 years... It's a solid ss tank. It'll live a lot longer than that.

I will check the exact times tonight when I reverse sear steaks but if I remember correctly it's about 10-15 minutes to get to 400. My original plan was to get a 700 and a Bullseye but I just got the 1250 instead of both. I got the 1250 from 333 to 640 in 18 minutes after grilling today. I also got the sear grates from Recteq in place of the missing and damaged bags of pellets. I'm honestly happy that I went with the 1250 with and without sear grates over the 700 and the Bullseye combo since the 1250 sears good enough for me but everyone's opinion is different.

Hi Steve. I was in the same position. My gasser died and I was on the fence also. My Nephew has the 700 and I was able to partake in some of his and my Nieces cooks. (pizza, stuffed Hungarian peppers, and regular grill stuff) I really didn't want to buy another gasser and a pellet smoker. I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on the 700 when I got an email from Recteq about the 1250. Long story short, I'm not getting a gasser. The 1250 does everything I used the gasser for and tastes a heck of a lot better. Heats up super fast when you want Hot and cooks low and slow with not problem. I'm extremely happy with what I can do with this thing. Good luck.

For what it's worth, I did some Yakitori Chicken skewers directly on the grill at 400. No grill marks to speak of, but the product came out excellent. Normally I'd cook these directly over mesquite charcoal. Sure a lot less work than cooking on charcoal and a nice kiss of mellow smoke. I have a set of Grill Grates, but they're still in the box. I'll try those out soon. I'm pleased at how the RT-1250 works as a "grill" in addition to a smoker.

Another goofy experiment...

I'm sure this isn't ground breaking to folks that have been here for a while, but I saw another post where people talked about pulling their meat, wrapping it, then cranking up the heat for a reverse sear once the RT came up to temperature..

I have been paying attention to my experiments and the 1250 seems to come to temperature really fast so I tried to test the "Lazy Guy Reverse Sear" and did 250 on a tri tip until I hit 115 internal temperature, then cranked up to 400 which took less than 4 minutes from 250. It ran about another 10 - 12 minutes at 400 to get the internal temp up to 130 when I pulled and wrapped for 20 minutes where internal temp was at around 138.

My results for a simple meat and relatively short cook have been very impressive so far. Trying to build the courage to do a prime rib on the 1250. I figure a few more sacrificial tri tips will help me get there. I have found a rekindled love for steak sandwiches.

So far the 1250 is the best of both worlds as far as a grill or smoker. Between the RT app and my Thermoworks Signals app, this is so easy compared to olden times with a stick burner + Weber kettle = aggravation.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum Steve
We LOVE our RT700 , BUT ....
Considering the added cost, of all the Accessories, that come standard on the RT1250, I'd be hard-pressed NOT to spend the extra $400, and buy the 1250, if buying our first Grill today

Good luck in your adventure :)

Sorry I have not been able to get back sooner but wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experiences with the 1250. I really liked what I heard and it sounds like the 1250 will be the grill to get! Thanks again, everyone.

I would do lots of research before handing over your heard-earned money if the app is a feature that is of any importance to you at all.

It's basically been broken for about a year now and it's nothing but "we're aware of the issue and are working on it" from RecTeq. You will likely not get any notifications of any sort which is the primary function of the app. Some here will try to act like it's no big deal but let's be real, if you are treat this device as if the app isn't functional you will likely find it overpriced and go elsewhere for the same functionality for less money.

Don't take my word for it though, do some searching and you will find lots of complaints from many otherwise-proud owners and zero resolution. It's infuriating how we're being ignored.

Even though I sent LOTS of friends and family their way prior to this, I can't in good conscience recommend RecTeq products anymore, sadly. They need to resolve this immediately if not sooner because their previous good name has come into question. Rightly so.

I have seen complaints about using the app on holidays, but didn't know there was a wider issue. I will take a look and see if I can find more information. Thanks for the info. I know I would want everything to be working considering the grill is about 2k. I know notifications would be very important to me, but I am curious of others having issues with this or not. Thanks again.

I have seen complaints about using the app on holidays, but didn't know there was a wider issue. I will take a look and see if I can find more information. Thanks for the info. I know I would want everything to be working considering the grill is about 2k. I know notifications would be very important to me, but I am curious of others having issues with this or not. Thanks again.
It's most prevalent on holidays and busier weekends which indicates a capacity/server issue. It's only a matter of time until that extends to most days and then all days the way they keep selling grills and not investing in their infrastructure. I assure you, others are most definitely having this same issue. The only ones who don't seem to care don't use the app at all and rely on 3rd party probes and what not. TBH I can't see myself spending this kind of money for one of these when you can buy something for a fraction of the price that will provide the same functionality if they're not going to use the app.

I use the app all the time. I just know when I have a cook going I need to check my temps every now and then. I just open the app, check the temps and I know how my cook is coming along. I don’t really utilize the notifications as I can judge how much longer I have based on what temp I saw last. I can still see all my temps and make changes if I need to using the app so I don’t find it totally useless at all.

I agree with Waterboy! I personally have had no issues with the app, but then again I didn't buy the RT for the App! I bought it because of the quality of materials, its warranty, customer support, but the most important factor was how closely it holds temperature settings!!! I have friends with Traegers and other pellet smokers and they have told me they feel fortunate if their grills hold the selected temperature within +- 20 degrees. There is not such thing as a perfect product, but you need to look at the big picture and overall the RecTeq grills are an awesome product that is well built, has a great warranty, and fantastic customer support!

This summer I was able to be on the boat at the lake, and fire my grill up to have the griddle
preheated by the time I came back.

That’s pretty close to heaven in my book.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back