charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Here is my bottom competition cart bottom shelf invention until I think of something more permanent. It is just a piece of 32 x 22 x 1/2” plywood painted by the Mrs. I had the shelf ready to install when I received the cart. I used the cart size outside dimensions 33.25 x 23" that are in the RT-590 accessories website and guessed cutting the plywood slightly smaller to 32 x 22”. It is not attached, just lying on the cart’s end frames. Inserted the plywood when I put the cart together. I am just going to use the shelf to store small things like the grate brush, gloves, smoke tube, grate lifter tool, grease bucket liners, etc. I think a nice more permanent shelf would be a stainless steel grate.

Cart Bottom Shelf.jpg
Cart Bottom Shelf-1.jpg
SS Grate.jpg

That looks great! Wish I had taken the time while assembling my grill & comp cart to add a bottom shelf like that. Kind of a pain to take it apart now.

That looks great! Wish I had taken the time while assembling my grill & comp cart to add a bottom shelf like that. Kind of a pain to take it apart now.
Yep, I hear ya. I have quit a bit of odds and ends stored there. Would be a nice add from RT.

Nicely done. Might consider that for mine when it arrives. I will miss having the shelf to store pellets, etc.
Thanks. If you are going to do it here are the dimensions for the RT-700 Bull competition cart from RT's cart accessories info. Width: 34.25 x Depth: 26.25 inches. Cut your plywood to what ever you wish so long as it will fit as you assemble the cart. I had mine already made and ready to go before I got the cart.

Thanks. If you are going to do it here are the dimensions for the RT-700 Bull competition cart from RT's cart accessories info. Width: 34.25 x Depth: 26.25 inches. Cut your plywood to what ever you wish so long as it will fit as you assemble the cart. I had mine already made and ready to go before I got the cart.
Thanks. I wonder if 1/4" plywood would be enough. Since it would be small things and not 20# bags of pellets.

Could cut the wood to size
Cut it in half
insert one at a time.

I haven't tried it but seems like it will work.

Another way to have a cart shelf would be to cut the plywood so it would fit into either of the cart ends. Once in the cart slide it over to the side and insert another piece of plywood just wide enough to fill the whole area inside the cart frame. Other words for a RT-590 cart you could cut two pieces of plywood or other wood 32 x 11 inches. Slide them both in either end of the cart openings and then spread them to fit the bottom of the cart.

Here is my bottom competition cart bottom shelf invention until I think of something more permanent. It is just a piece of 32 x 22 x 1/2” plywood painted by the Mrs. I had the shelf ready to install when I received the cart. I used the cart size outside dimensions 33.25 x 23" that are in the RT-590 accessories website and guessed cutting the plywood slightly smaller to 32 x 22”. It is not attached, just lying on the cart’s end frames. Inserted the plywood when I put the cart together. I am just going to use the shelf to store small things like the grate brush, gloves, smoke tube, grate lifter tool, grease bucket liners, etc. I think a nice more permanent shelf would be a stainless steel grate.

View attachment 5832View attachment 5833View attachment 5834
Very nice!
I see that you added your own shelf.
Are those stock brackets or buy them somewhere else?

I installed expanded metal prior to assembling cart. I took 1/4” off the measurement provided above. I also got the idea from the above members. Thanks again. You were very helpful.

Attachments

• 48FFF07B-7B7C-44D8-8A4B-83B14360B5A8.jpeg
    48FFF07B-7B7C-44D8-8A4B-83B14360B5A8.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 164
I installed expanded metal prior to assembling cart. I took 1/4” off the measurement provided above. I also got the idea from the above members. Thanks again. You were very helpful.
Looks nice. Is it stainless steel?

When you swing the front shelf down, does it hit the bottom of the cart that is angled out? I’m curious if the shelf was 12 or 14” deep then would it fold flat against the cart?
@Traveler when the shelf is down both brackets rest on the bottom cart skin. I always lower it slow so it doesn’t slam down. Brackets are 10 inch from Amazon and my shelf measures 32 x 11-1/8 x 1 inch Douglas Fir. These are the only pics I have of the shelf. If you need a better pic let me know. I have my Stampede put away and can get it out and take more pics.

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Brac...l+folding+brackets&qid=1597766010&sr=8-8&th=1

Attachments

• Front Shelf down.jpg
    Front Shelf down.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Cart Bottom Shelf-1.jpg
    Cart Bottom Shelf-1.jpg
    760.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Front Shelf Up.jpg
    Front Shelf Up.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Lid Gasket.jpg
    Lid Gasket.jpg
    967.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Shelf Brackets Side.jpg
    Shelf Brackets Side.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 115
  • Shelf Brackets Underneith-1.jpg
    Shelf Brackets Underneith-1.jpg
    797.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Shelf Brackets Underneith-2.jpg
    Shelf Brackets Underneith-2.jpg
    814.9 KB · Views: 108
Thank you for the reply and pics. Your shelf looks awesome. We’re you able to use the existing holes to mount the brackets or did you have to drill new ones into the cart?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back