Stampede Comp Cart Mods

Uncle Bob

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
When I bought my 590/Stampede I didn't foresee a need for a Comp Cart, and in reality I probably don't really need one now. I'm storing the 590 over by the shop these days instead of on the patio, so it does get rolled more, but the standard setup has worked well enough. That said, I got the opportunity to buy a new comp cart, still in the sealed box, from a local guy who decided to build his unit in to his outdoor kitchen instead of cart mounting it. How could I resist?

Over the past couple years I'd read the various comments about how wasted the space under the cart was. Some have mounted a shelf under there, but it still appeared to me that the openings at either end were going to be a limiting factor. Once I got the parts out of the box I measured the end openings and thought about the items that might go under there. With the fairly solid sides (or front and back panels if you prefer), access is never going to be "easy". The biggest item I figured I'd put under there would be the drip pan so that became my guide for resizing the end opening. Sure enough, the hole RT designed was just a bit narrow, so I figured I'd open the width and height about 2 1/2". That looked to leave enough structural integrity to not weaken the assembled cart. I decided to only do the drip bucket end as it was much more accessible than the end under the pellet bin, and it was the lighter of the two ends, so less chance of stressing the relieved panel.
rt comp cart mod 01.jpg
The next thing to consider was the shelf. A solid piece may seem to have advantages, but with outdoor equipment I find that expanded metal with holes to allow blown in debris a way to fall through makes maintenance slightly easier. I happened to have a piece large enough to cut to size on hand so fit that up. Expanded metal can be a bit flexible, so needs some edge support to stiffen it up. In my "I may find a use for this someday" pile I had some thin, galvanized, angle bars that worked perfectly.
rt comp cart mod 03.jpg
rt comp cart mod 04.jpg
A little paint and those fabbed pieces looked factory supplied. Once all the mods and fab work were done, and the paint dry, the rest was routine assembly. There is another picture to show how the home made front shelf I did a couple years ago won't quite fold down flat to the front, but I'll happily deal with a little "beer belly" look in trade for the functionality of the 14" deep shelf.
rt comp cart mod 05.jpg
rt comp cart mod 06.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back