Cold Smoking with the BFG

blackleaf1

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
So I have had my BFG for a couple of months and absolutely love it. I am wondering what everyone is doing for cold smoking fish and cheese. I am not seeing a cold smoke box for this unit. All recommendations welcome.

Don’t have a BFG myself, but I’ve seen one and I don’t think the smoke box would work because of the lid hinge locations on the BFG. However, someone here modified their Bull so that the smoke box was disconnected from the main chamber, connected with a dryer vent hose IIRC. Might be worth searching here to take a look, or perhaps the user that made the mod will see this and chime in.

Having said that, I’ve found that the smoke box on the Bull is still too hot to cold smoke with the grill set to its lowest setting. I use a smoke tube with the grill off and get good cold smoke results. You might want to try that before investing in more expensive options.

Don’t have a BFG myself, but I’ve seen one and I don’t think the smoke box would work because of the lid hinge locations on the BFG. However, someone here modified their Bull so that the smoke box was disconnected from the main chamber, connected with a dryer vent hose IIRC. Might be worth searching here to take a look, or perhaps the user that made the mod will see this and chime in.

Having said that, I’ve found that the smoke box on the Bull is still too hot to cold smoke with the grill set to its lowest setting. I use a smoke tube with the grill off and get good cold smoke results. You might want to try that before investing in more expensive options.

Thanks for the feedback! How are you routing your smoke tube? Do you have a picture by chance?

It’s just a third party device that you fill with pellets, light with a butane torch, and place in the cooking chamber. Depending on the size (I use a 12” myself), it will provide 2-4+ hours of smoke. Most people, including myself, use them to enhance the amount of someone flavor in a regular, low-temp cook, but I use it also in the main chamber to cold smoke in my Bull’s smoke box.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=smoke+...prefix=Smoke+tube,aps,157&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_10

So I have had my BFG for a couple of months and absolutely love it. I am wondering what everyone is doing for cold smoking fish and cheese. I am not seeing a cold smoke box for this unit. All recommendations welcome.
I modded my BFG for cold smoking with a smoke daddy cold smoker I bought back in 09. I am going to upgrade though to the Magnum Pig which is bigger with a longer smoke as I run it with almost every smoke to add a little that little extra the pellets miss for me. https://smokedaddyinc.com/
F23A29EA-9BBA-4B50-B849-FD2187F40538.jpeg
51CF91B7-CD3C-4962-8CFC-33C1903FF17D.jpeg
89944122-9DD0-4B89-A760-F55DEEF6F3D8.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back