Cold Smoking Cheese

Mlmurrah

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Cold smoking cheese sounds intriguing. What kind of cheese do I need and how do I do it?

Start with cheddar for sure then maybe provolone or Swiss.

If you don’t have the cold smoker attachment get you one of the pellet tubes or amaz n pellets and set it in on one side of the grill.

I put my cheese on an oven cooling rack and set it over an aluminum pan filled with ice. This is absolutely necessary during the summer as the heat alone from the grill sitting outside will melt your cheese.

I usually smoke it with a mild wood like cherry, apple, or pecan pellets for 45 min to an hour. Remove and place in zip loc bags for at least 2 days. A week is better. Throw some almonds on a sheet of aluminum foil while you at it.

I mainly smoke cheddars using a smoke tube with the milder flavored pellets mentioned earlier but not at this time of the year, it's too hot out and the cheese starts to melt and make a mess.

Hey Master, one thing I have never done is smoke any cheese and the summer is not really a good time to start. If I had ambient temps around 70, used your method with the amazin tube, sheet of ice, and conducted the process at night (usually the 70 ambient around here), would that still be too hot to smoke the cheese? I am probably going to answer my own question as I would assume we would want an ambient closer to 50 or lower?

You would most likely be fine at that temp. Lot of people do put ice bottles or jugs inside just to make sure. I usually do in fall or winter .

I just smoked a batch about a week or so ago. I tried a few different types in the past and have settled on just doing a mild cheddar with apple and cherry pellets. I smoke for about 6 hours.

I buy the Tillamook Medium Cheddar blocks at Costco and cut them into 5 equal pieces (about 1 3/8") to ensure good smoke penetration. I set the blocks on a non-stick "grill mat" (the kind with 1/4" square weave) to help keep it from sagging thru the grates. It gets very close to melting.

Just finished cold smoking some almonds, gouda, and pepper jack in the BFG with a smokedaddy cold smoker mod!
CBCF95A2-F3E8-418B-8143-D86CBC4CA67E.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back