Cold Smoker

timelinex

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I am getting ready to buy a RT-700 this month and can't decide on whether I want to get the cold smoker attachment. I've seen a few very old threads on the subject, but nothing new. I know there were some complaint about the temperature not getting low enough to be useful. Is this still true?

I'm guessing I won't be cold smoking too many things, but a feature I really liked is using it as a warmer. Keeping things warm while other things are still cooking.

Any input on these questions and how useful your attachment as been?

I believe recteq stopped calling it a cold smoke box, as customers complained it was too hot to smoke fish and most cheeses. I smoke in mine a lot, but not always cold smoking. I’m smoking garlic cloves and kosher salt in mine today while cooking Chex Mix in the grill set to 250* With temps here today in the 50s, I don’t expect the top shelf of the s over to get above 90-100*.

If I wanted to do a true cold smoke, I’d light my smoke tube and turn the fan only on, which works really well. However, you really don’t need the box to do that. I like mine, and I use it enough to not be disappointed that I have it.

I believe recteq stopped calling it a cold smoke box, as customers complained it was too hot to smoke fish and most cheeses. I smoke in mine a lot, but not always cold smoking. I’m smoking garlic cloves and kosher salt in mine today while cooking Chex Mix in the grill set to 250* With temps here today in the 50s, I don’t expect the top shelf of the s over to get above 90-100*.

If I wanted to do a true cold smoke, I’d light my smoke tube and turn the fan only on, which works really well. However, you really don’t need the box to do that. I like mine, and I use it enough to not be disappointed that I have it.
I understand.

I think I will probably not get it and just hope they come out with an improved version sometime. There seems to be alot of complaints overall.

It is a bit disappointing that they only post the 4 and 5 star reviews on their products. It makes it hard to gauge what the disadvantages are of all the accessories and/or grills.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back