Cold smoked salmon

Gunilla

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Has anyone cold smoked salmon on the Bull & how do you get temp below 100?

Has anyone gone with just a smoke tube in the barrel, with the unit sitting in the shade? How much heat does a smoldering smoke tube put off? How much would it raise the temp over ambient?

Has anyone gone with just a smoke tube in the barrel, with the unit sitting in the shade? How much heat does a smoldering smoke tube put off? How much would it raise the temp over ambient?
I use a smoke tube to cold smoke cheese. I run the fan on test mode to keep it circulating and it does a good job imparting smoke flavor. I’ve only done it on cool days and it haven’t seen it raise the temp much. It probably would affect temps more on warm/hot days.

When I looked into cold smoking salmon for what it’s worth I ran into a lot of warnings that it’s tricky to do to not have a bacterial growth. Something like cheese or even salt or I have tried olive oil and those do fine and at least to my mind were safer. Not trying to discourage you but just thought you should be aware, although you’ve probably tried it by now. I did try cooking salmon last night on the low setting and then finishing at 2:25, it was a large fillet and I think it turned out really nicely but not really what you were asking about. I have a cold smoker ad on for an electric smoker that I do the cold smoking in, but that combination primarily to do cold smoking but occasionally use it for “hot smoking “but having just gotten a bull’s-eye I’m already finding I like things hot smoked on the bull’s-eye better even though you can achieve temperature stability with an electric one. It may just be the recency effect or the fact that I spent money on a new grill. Time will tell

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back