Stampede Clearing out auger tube

Hamp

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I want to run my 590 dry of pellets to clean dust out of hopper and auger tube. Proper procedure please. I think I know but want to be sure I’m doing it right

Thanks!

I’ll wait until some folks share with you how they do it before I share why I think ’running the auger empty to clean out the dust’ is the dumbest idea recteq has come up with.
I don’t really see the reason for it but recteq recommends doing it and I’m a new guy so who am I to argue? lol

They promote it hard! Here’s why I think it’s a dumb idea. I had a long career in ag crop production, mostly corn, soybeans, and wheat. These grains are frequently moved on farms and at the grain elevators by… augers. In this process there are times when they don’t want the next batch of grains contaminated by grains still in the bottom of the auger from the prior batch. What they would do would be to add a small amount of a larger item (corn cobs) to flush the auger flight clean. In other words, they added pellets to clean the dust out of the auger!

I never worry about dust in the auger tube. I just run the pellets down until the auger isn't quite uncovered, push the dust off the slopes into the vertical portion and refill. It's also the time I change out the drip pan foil, vac all the ash out of the firebox and scrub the bottom side of the grate. I also clean out the grease trough and grease tube before replacing the drip pan.

I was cleaning my RT-700 yesterday after running through a load of pellets. There wasn't more than a handful left between the hopper and firepot, so for the heck of it, I ran the auger in test mode. Then used my Buckethead vac to suction both ends of the auger tube. For good measure, I also switched the hose to the exhaust side of the vac to blow from the hopper end. Almost no additional material came out. It was all probably overkill, but it's been a while since I let the hopper run empty.

They promote it hard! Here’s why I think it’s a dumb idea. I had a long career in ag crop production, mostly corn, soybeans, and wheat. These grains are frequently moved on farms and at the grain elevators by… augers. In this process there are times when they don’t want the next batch of grains contaminated by grains still in the bottom of the auger from the prior batch. What they would do would be to add a small amount of a larger item (corn cobs) to flush the auger flight clean. In other words, they added pellets to clean the dust out of the auger!
My question would be why would those last few pellets clean out the tube any better than the previous ones? Only advantage I see is letting pellets get low so you can wipe down the hopper wall. I try not to push the dust into the remaining pellets.

Reactions: jhn
My question would be why would those last few pellets clean out the tube any better than the previous ones? Only advantage I see is letting pellets get low so you can wipe down the hopper wall. I try not to push the dust into the remaining pellets.
Exactly. Or turn the grill upside down!

I can't understand why a little dust in the hopper and or auger tube will effect anything and have never noticed any issues because of it. People tend to overthink things, if a little dust in there causes problems, I'd like to know what issues it causes since I sure haven't noticed any.
Sometimes the bottom of the bag of pellets will have some excess dust in it. If it does, I have an old aluminum colander that fits perfectly into a 5 gal bucket. I just pour the pellets from the bottom of the bag in the colander and sift out the excess dust.

Last edited:
My hopper stays pretty full all the time and I never think what it looks like down there cause it just runs fine. Maybe if I started having issues I would go for it but I think the dust works it way out like the pellets. Not likely it would ever accumulate to a point of trouble. That is like tossing some of the fuel away to me. Dust or pellets it's all gonna burn and come out.

I want to run my 590 dry of pellets to clean dust out of hopper and auger tube. Proper procedure please. I think I know but want to be sure I’m doing it right

Thanks!
  1. Remove all pellets from the hopper, many people use a shop vac.
  2. Put unit in test mode, run auger test until all pellets in the auger have come out into the firepot.
  3. Done.
    BTW, I have never cleaned any dust out of the hopper or auger since I've never felt it's needed.

I have never heard of clearing the auger tube. Nor have I done this in 3 years. I just pour the pellets in, burn pellets and repeat.

I just searched my RT700 and the RT590 manual and it says nothing about this...

but recteq recommends doing it
Where???

I have never heard of clearing the auger tube. Nor have I done this in 3 years. I just pour the pellets in, burn pellets and repeat.

I just searched my RT700 and the RT590 manual and it says nothing about this...

Where???
On their social media pages and especially on their video shows. They are like a stuck record on those platforms.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back