Bull cleaning up after grease fire

Thanks @hallsofmontezuma for this grease fire thread. Good info. I plan on cleaning out my hot pot and bottom of the barrel after every use. I still want to use the foil for now. I will make sure it is nice and flat and will change it after each use. Also will make sure the sear grates are turned sideways if I do use them any. I will make sure no food is laid too close to the grate edges so the grease won't go down into the barrel bottom. I don't have my RT-590 yet so I am a newbie. So how did you know you had a grease fire? Does the internal temp probe temp not go down? I think this is another reason the lid should have a temp gauge on it like other grills have. The gauge would be another clue the temp isn't going down. Edited: I think it is a good idea to turn the grill to Lo for a few minutes just right before you turn her off.

Last edited:
@charlesrshell I do a lot greasy stuff like bacon, ribs, burgers and chicken. I stopped using foil because it was always greasy under and the foil gets stuck down sometimes. My drip tray is seasoned like a skillet now that things don’t stick. It is always good to keep it clean on the inside though

@charlesrshell I do a lot greasy stuff like bacon, ribs, burgers and chicken. I stopped using foil because it was always greasy under and the foil gets stuck down sometimes. My drip tray is seasoned like a skillet now that things don’t stick. It is always good to keep it clean on the inside though
Understand, thanks. I just really feel that the foil will have the majority of the mess on it and then wad up and throw away. I plan on using Reynolds Pitmaster's Choice (re-named Super Strength) heavy duty foil. I will keep an eye on it and be very careful using it. Will make sure it is laying as flat as possible, don't fold over the edges, and make sure the grill is level, etc.

@charlesrshell your right, with foil you can fold it up and toss it. I just put the end in a grocery bag and scrape it in. There is no right or wrong. It’s all preference

Understand, thanks. I just really feel that the foil will have the majority of the mess on it and then wad up and throw away. I plan on using Reynolds Pitmaster's Choice (re-named Super Strength) heavy duty foil. I will keep an eye on it and be very careful using it. Will make sure it is laying as flat as possible, don't fold over the edges, and make sure the grill is level, etc.
We will talk about this foiling the drip pan vs just scraping after you get the grill fired up and start using it for several cooks. ?

Last edited:
OK @Mastertech59, sounds good. I am basically a lazy A--. Just want to speed up the process as much and safely as I can. LOL.
I'm right there with you as far as being lazy. Generally only use one grate to cook when it's only the two of us so sliding it left and right to scrape the drip pan is very easy and just push the burnt up drippings into the grease trough and then into the grease bucket lined with a pickle jar or large sour cream container. For the major cleanings I scrape it into the trash barrel while it's sitting on top of the recycle barrel, did mention I'm very lazy when it's comes to BBQ. :rolleyes::LOL:

I'm right there with you as far as being lazy. Generally only use one grate to cook when it's only the two of us so sliding it left and right to scrape the drip pan is very easy and just push the burnt up drippings into the grease trough and then into the grease bucket lined with a pickle jar or large sour cream container. For the major cleanings I scrape it into the trash barrel while it's sitting on top of the recycle barrel, did mention I'm very lazy when it's comes to BBQ. :rolleyes::LOL:
Gotcha, you have it all figured out. I have gotten lots of good ideas from you. I think I will be able to get going now when she arrives. Now cooking is another story. LOL. Getting ready to start another thread about something I am still unsure about. Stay tuned for your input.

Gotcha, you have it all figured out. I have gotten lots of good ideas from you. I think I will be able to get going now when she arrives. Now cooking is another story. LOL. Getting ready to start another thread about something I am still unsure about. Stay tuned for your input.
The cooking part always a shoot from the hip for us. Some of the crazy things the wife dreams up and cooks have never been able to be duplicated. A little bit of this, some more of that, if some is good more has to be better, all of these shoot from the hip recipes are great in my lazy don't want to cook and don't complain attitude but thankfully we have a stock pile of toilet paper when things go wrong.. o_O:rolleyes:?

Last edited:
I cut my sear plates with a side grinder so that they are shorter than the width of the drip pan so that I can use them either running front to back or side to side. This helps conserve room to cook other foods at the same time.

interesting you say that. I noticed mine fit, but man is it tight and obviously are over the drip pan. Did you use a standard cutting wheel on that grinder? I wonder if a carbide tipped metal cutting saw would work as well? I’d prob be able to make a much straight cut with that.

I just ordered. Wow this would be nice. I am perpetually messing with the foil when i clean my drip pan. I have done both. With and without. Would be great to have some perfect fit covers like this! Fingers crossed they fit well. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks @hallsofmontezuma for this grease fire thread. Good info. I plan on cleaning out my hot pot and bottom of the barrel after every use. I still want to use the foil for now. I will make sure it is nice and flat and will change it after each use. Also will make sure the sear grates are turned sideways if I do use them any. I will make sure no food is laid too close to the grate edges so the grease won't go down into the barrel bottom. I don't have my RT-590 yet so I am a newbie. So how did you know you had a grease fire? Does the internal temp probe temp not go down? I think this is another reason the lid should have a temp gauge on it like other grills have. The gauge would be another clue the temp isn't going down. Edited: I think it is a good idea to turn the grill to Lo for a few minutes just right before you turn her off.
Cleaning every cook may be overkill. If you just did a Couple pork butts, yes clean out the grease or change the foil. I make ribs and don’t clean it. Chicken at 400 after smoking and dont clean it. I just did 10 large chicken thighs this past weekend and it was about ready to change. Grease fires happens when you have standing grease and cook t high temps, not low and slows...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back