Cleaning off your grates

Infantryman

Military Veteran
Looking for some tips on how to clean my grill grates off my new RT-700?

I'm currently using a bristle free brush I picked up but it's not removing everything very effectively even when warm on the cool down cycle.

I use a ball of foil or steel wool. As long as the grates are warm it works fairly well.

I use a ball of foil or steel wool. As long as the grates are warm it works fairly well.
Do any of the shreds of steel wood rub off and stay on the grates? I saw the concern in an article on a BBQ website. ??

I have not had that issue as far as I can tell. I do wipe them down before I put them back on, so that could be helping...

This particular brush works well for me. Got it on Amazon

Kona 360 Clean Grill Brush, 18 inch Best BBQ Grill Brush - Stainless Steel 3-in-1 Grill Cleaner for Effortless Cleaning

This particular brush works well for me. Got it on Amazon

Kona 360 Clean Grill Brush, 18 inch Best BBQ Grill Brush - Stainless Steel 3-in-1 Grill Cleaner for Effortless Cleaning
Looks good, just ordered it on Amazon. Thanks ??

Y'all probably think I'm nuts, but I put mine in the dishwasher for normal cycle. Pull it out and hit any remaining food with a scrub bud. Return to grill.

I use a ball of foil along with the sear grates brush.
Hey that ball of aluminum foil idea works great. I took off the heavy bits and such with my bristle less grill brush then finished with foil for whatever else needed to come off my grates after my cook today...........clean and ready for next time. Perfect!

After each smoke I remove the grate and soak it in the laundry sink in hot water and Dawn. Then use a Brillo pad. Rinse, dry & reinstall. Bit of a pain, but wonderfully clean for the next smoke.

I use a grill cleaning wire brush after each cook while the grates are warm. It works perfectly.

I'm currently using a bristle free brush I picked up but it's not removing everything very effectively even when warm on the cool down cycle.
I don’t normally hawk products, but I am really happy using Dawn Power Wash on my grates. I let it sit a few minutes, then go over the grates with a copper scrubber that you can buy at most grocery stores. I had a serious grease fire in my previous grill, and have gotten a bit fanatical about keeping my Stampede clean.

Does anyone use the half-onion tip that is in the manual?

Just wondering if that is worth doing -

I'll use the foil ball trick, and I spray the grates of my smoker with pam before cooking, which seemed to help with cleanup. (this on my previous smoker).

best

mqqn

Does anyone use the half-onion tip that is in the manual?

Just wondering if that is worth doing -

I'll use the foil ball trick, and I spray the grates of my smoker with pam before cooking, which seemed to help with cleanup. (this on my previous smoker).

best

mqqn
I've done it but didn't really notice any difference.

I remove them spray with Simple Green BBQ Cleaner, then scrub with a Scotch Brite Industrial Strength pad. Once I get my new patio done with a sink, I'll install a large enough sink to soak them.

20200513_125802.jpg

I bought that wooden “spatula” that is supposed to work, NOT. I now use a bristle brush when the grates are warm. Takes almost all of the left over off. Every 4th or 5th cook, I soak them in the sink and use a Brillo pad. So far so good. ??

Haven't done the one on the RT yet as I have yet to use it, but I do clean the ones from my Charcoal and propane grills all the time. I use Member's Mark oven cleaner. slice one side of a plastic bag big enough for the grate, put the grate in and spray it down with the cleaner. Cover with the top sheet of plastic and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes. Spray it off,scrubbing where needed with a SS scrubby pad, it comes right off.

Does anyone use a plastic bin for soaking their grates? If so, where did you get it? I cannot find one big enough.

don't know how big there come, but I've heard of folks using hot water tank trays from HD or Lowes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back