Cleaning Drip Tray

jzelwin

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
What’s the best way to clean the drip tray if you don’t use foil?

What’s the best way to clean the drip tray if you don’t use foil?
20200606_115939.jpg

Foil is a big waste of time for me. A false sense of security. Like a rubber with holes in it. The pan doesn't need to be spotless to work. If you are anal a generic oven cleaner and a brown 3M pad will make it like new in 15 minutes.

My experience with foil has not been good. I first tried a single layer, and it leaked and stuck to the drip tray. So I tried double foil, and it still leaked even though it did not stick. I had to soak it in a bath tub and scrub with Spic and Span to get it clean. Maybe the foil keeps some of the crud off, but I'm not sure it reduces scrubbing.

My experience with foil has not been good. I first tried a single layer, and it leaked and stuck to the drip tray. So I tried double foil, and it still leaked even though it did not stick. I had to soak it in a bath tub and scrub with Spic and Span to get it clean. Maybe the foil keeps some of the crud off, but I'm not sure it reduces scrubbing.
If my wife saw me soaking the drip pan in the bath tub it would be divorce court or at least some couch time for sleeping arraignments for a while. I gave up using foil after a few cooks, I now save and use the foil to wrap the food that gets placed in the cooler to keep it warm until it's time to eat. My Bull's drip pan is now always naked and I just scrape it to clean the crud off.

If my wife saw me soaking the drip pan in the bath tub it would be divorce court or at least some couch time for sleeping arraignments for a while. I gave up using foil after a few cooks, I now save and use the foil to wrap the food that gets placed in the cooler to keep it warm until it's time to eat. My Bull's drip pan is now always naked and I just scrape it to clean the crud off.

I guess I am a lucky guy. My wife suggested using the bath tub. She recommends dry Spic n' Span, which is available only online.

I guess I am a lucky guy. My wife suggested using the bath tub. She recommends dry Spic n' Span, which is available only online.
LOL, been marred coming up on 37 years but dogs, auto parts and greasy grills parts are not to be cleaned in the bath tub, her words and like a good husband I honor and obey it. ?

LOL, been marred coming up on 37 years but dogs, auto parts and greasy grills parts are not to be cleaned in the bath tub, her words and like a good husband I honor and obey it. ?
Friend of mine said he and his father got into trouble when his mom came in and found them with one end of an automobile drive shaft in the oven and the other in the refrigerator. They were trying to separate a press fit joint.

Friend of mine said he and his father got into trouble when his mom came in and found them with one end of an automobile drive shaft in the oven and the other in the refrigerator. They were trying to separate a press fit joint.
The things you got to do to get things done, as long as no one else sees them your good to go. ?

Agree with @Mimurrah. I have been using foil and noticed that it wrinkled and caused fat to pool. I’ve decided to go foil-less from now on.
Are you using regular foil or the heavy duty stuff?

I use HD foil and had it melt when using the temp for high heat. The foil worked well for low heat cooks although some grease seems to sneak around it. I've now given up on foil and scrap with a paint scraper. I do need to start removing the drip tray when doing so, it's probably not a good idea to expect the crud to go thru the grease tube.

I remember long time ago Reynolds use to have a real thick extra heavy duty version foil. Then they did away with it and came out with the super strength extra heavy duty version but it was not as thick. Now I don't think they have that version anymore. I think it has been replaced with the Pitmaster's Choice version. Haven't tried it out yet. In my SS charcoal grill I use to fit the ash tray drawer with two foil oven liners. It is nice and thick.

1595253618726.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back