Chuck's Christmas Eve RecTec Ham

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have been smoking hams for about a dozen or more years. It has evolved over the years, finally settling on smoking on one of my komado type smokers using apple/cherry and injecting with a mix of maple syrup, John Henry's Sugar Maple Rub and either water or chicken broth to thin it. Apple juice works too. I steep the rub into the liquid on the stovetop for just a bit, then cool it before injecting. Then crisscross score it and baste it with the same liquid. I smoke at over 350F on the komado.

But this year, I am going with the RT700. I put Cherry and Apply Lumberjack in the hopper and smoked for a couple hours at 225F then ramped up to 350F, basted again and rubbed heavily with the John Henry's Sugar Maple rub. Once that carmelizes, I'll do it again to build a candy like bark.

Part way done...
20201224_131645.jpg
20201224_131738.jpg

Nice! I wish I had found this thread sooner though. My local Safeway had bone-in shank portion hams for $0.97/lb and I just don't know enough about ham to buy one. The price caught my eye though as that's pretty cheap for some ham. I thought about grabbing one and then researching second but I just don't have the fridge space right now. In addition to the normal nearly full fridge I have a 10lb Boston Butt in there thawing ($0.97/lb sale so I bought several and threw them in the freezer) to smoke tonight for the weekend as well as a 15lb prime rib roast ($4.77/lb annual sale!) that's dry-ageing for a month. As you can see, I'm pretty driven by good prices. lol Making room for one of those massive hams would have been challenging and we're going to have plenty of meat for the next several days anyway. After seeing your pics I've got new inspiration though and the next time a sale comes up I'll probably grab one to try. That looks incredible and my mouth is watering just thinking of the sweet and smoky profile and how good that probably is. Bonus points if you can post up some sliced up photos once you get to that stage... if there's time before it's gobbled down. Haha

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back