Chuck Overnight Smoke

sicktght311

Having a get together tomorrow, and i was going to do an overnight brisket, but my local Costco's selection has been horribly sub par lately. So i decided to do the next best thing to feed a crowd, Chucks! I've done PLENTY of chucks both on my RT590, and on my upright chip smoker prior to buying my RecTeq, but i've typically always smoked them around 8-9 hours targeting dinnertime.

For this party however, i'm trying to shoot for 3pm to have the meat finished, rested, and ready to slice. I'm also not looking to get up at like 4am, or babysit this through the night. My thought is to pop it in the smoker at midnight tonight set at LO, let it run for about 3 hours absorbing all that delightful smoke, then bump temp to 200-210 from the comfort of my bed on the app, go back to sleep, and then around 8am I would likely pull them, wrap in butcher paper, and finish out in the oven at 275 while i pop the ribs in the smoker. If i can get them done by noon, then i'll rest them and get ready for slicing. Anyone see any flaws in this logic? I figure at LO and 200, i'll probably be around 150-160 degrees internal by 8am. If i tried to do it at 225 all night, i'd probably be above my typical wrap temp and too close to finish, making them done way too early.

Agree, sounds good. I prefer cooking Chucks over brisket (even though I have a brisket ready for this weekend), and have done pretty much the same approach on Chucks as you outlined, with tasty good success.

That’s a solid plan. I think I’ll use that for Labor Day. I’d like to hear the results. Thanks!

I've been SVing chuck @145 for 24 hours, then sear. Comes out juicy and super tender plus the timing is much more forgiving. That's the only way I do them now. If you want more smoke flavor smoke 4 hours prior to SV.

Having a get together tomorrow, and i was going to do an overnight brisket, but my local Costco's selection has been horribly sub par lately. So i decided to do the next best thing to feed a crowd, Chucks! I've done PLENTY of chucks both on my RT590, and on my upright chip smoker prior to buying my RecTeq, but i've typically always smoked them around 8-9 hours targeting dinnertime.

For this party however, i'm trying to shoot for 3pm to have the meat finished, rested, and ready to slice. I'm also not looking to get up at like 4am, or babysit this through the night. My thought is to pop it in the smoker at midnight tonight set at LO, let it run for about 3 hours absorbing all that delightful smoke, then bump temp to 200-210 from the comfort of my bed on the app, go back to sleep, and then around 8am I would likely pull them, wrap in butcher paper, and finish out in the oven at 275 while i pop the ribs in the smoker. If i can get them done by noon, then i'll rest them and get ready for slicing. Anyone see any flaws in this logic? I figure at LO and 200, i'll probably be around 150-160 degrees internal by 8am. If i tried to do it at 225 all night, i'd probably be above my typical wrap temp and too close to finish, making them done way too early.
Sounds OK to me. I will say I have only done a few briskets and never done a chuck roast.

How many pounds? The 12-14 lb briskets I've done on the Bull have taken a lot longer in the butcher paper wrap than I thought they would. 6-8 hours when wrapping at 152-162 IT, temp set at 250-275. I wonder if I'm not wrapping tightly enough, or what else could be affecting things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back