Stampede Chicken wings help

Dan99

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi All I'm going to give chicken wings another try on my 590..What I'm after is crispy skin. I have a 12" smoke tube for smoke, IF needed
This is what I was thinking 1/2 to 1 hr @ 180 then 400 till done. Should I just skip the 180 and get the smoke flavor from the some tube??
Thanks Dan
PS Is there a special forum for chicken?

Just did some drumsticks this weekend. Similar set up as well, 250 until internal temp 160. Increased temp to 400 and maybe 6 min, then flipped for another 6 min. Crispy, but a "complete" bite of the drum upon eating.
I did a dry rub/coating before, no wet sauce, etc.
Hope this helps!

Hey Dan. That is how I do my wings. 180-190 (on extreme smoke) for 1 to 1.5 hours. Then crank to 400 until done. Great flavor and skin is always very good bite through texture.

When I do thighs or wings, I usually do about the same. low for 30 minutes, then crank it up to 400 until a little overdone. The skin is not as crispy as deep fry, but usually turn out very good to our taste.

The wings are turning in to a disaster...Cooked @ 400 after twenty minutes they were reading 200..Couldn't get the smoke tube to stay lit. Now I'm trying extreme smoke, because the wings look anemic.
😲
👎
See pic.. I'm hoping the ones in the air fryer come out better.

Attachments

• IMG_20201005_174458858[1].jpg
    IMG_20201005_174458858[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 166
They don’t look even close to being done to me. Personally, I’ve never tried to use a temp probe on cuts of meat like ribs or chicken wings, because with placement there is no room for error. A fraction off direction one way and the probe tip hits bone, a fraction the other direction and it’s just under the surface of the skin. Both will indicate a higher temp than what is the internal temp.

FWIW, at some point one needs to forget about probes and an obsession with smoke and instead focus with cooking food that is cooked properly and tastes great.

Hi I doubled check the wings with my Thermapen and Fireboard. I did put half of the smoke wings in an Airfryer, to crips them up.
Thanks Dan

This is my go to and it’s bulletproof

Chicken Wings (drummettes preferably but works for wings and drums)

• Pat dry with towel
  • Toss with 2tbs of baking powder // 2 tbs of AP rub, coat evenly (this makes about 20-22 drums comfortably)
  • 250F for 30 mins, then flip
  • 400F for 40-45 mins until crispy
  • Toss in sauce, devour

I’ve always pulled things from the smoker when I go from low temp to a higher temp. When you go from 250 to 400 do you just leave the wings in the smoker or pull them till you get to 400?

I’ve always pulled things from the smoker when I go from low temp to a higher temp. When you go from 250 to 400 do you just leave the wings in the smoker or pull them till you get to 400?
I leave them on when I crank up the heat. This is what works for me.
Wings
250 -2 hours
350 - 30 min

Attachments

• FDB08D54-88EE-40A4-B9C9-6EA5DDE38DC2.jpeg
    FDB08D54-88EE-40A4-B9C9-6EA5DDE38DC2.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 127
When making wings, or spatchcocked chicken, I will pat dry and add between 1/4 to 1/2 tsp baking powder to my rub. The alkalinity of the powder will make the skin extra crispy. You just have to be careful of not adding too much of it or salt. Works great

This is my go to and it’s bulletproof

Chicken Wings (drummettes preferably but works for wings and drums)

• Pat dry with towel
  • Toss with 2tbs of baking powder // 2 tbs of AP rub, coat evenly (this makes about 20-22 drums comfortably)
  • 250F for 30 mins, then flip
  • 400F for 40-45 mins until crispy
  • Toss in sauce, devour

To confirm, you're doing a 50-50 ratio of the baking powder and rub?

Try salting the wings, then put them uncovered in the refrigerator for 24 hours. This will help dry out the skin. Possibly combine this with Bytor's method with the baking powder.

For my rub, I use John Henry's Pecan rub as it is on the slightly sweet side. My sauce is 50/50 Tapatio and melted butter. This gives me wings that are sweet, spicy, and rich.

I always run smoke at 180 til I reach
155 IT. Maybe 2 hrs Then pull off and put them in the air fryer for 10 mins on high or until crispy . They come out juicy and super simple. Light toss in red hot and butter .You will never do them any other way...

When making wings, or spatchcocked chicken, I will pat dry and add between 1/4 to 1/2 tsp baking powder to my rub. The alkalinity of the powder will make the skin extra crispy. You just have to be careful of not adding too much of it or salt. Works great

I prefer to use corn starch vs baking powder as I was finding a slight aluminum aftertaste with the baking powder. Other than that my method is very similar. The wings come out crispy every time and have been one of our go to meals for game day!

I prefer to use corn starch vs baking powder as I was finding a slight aluminum aftertaste with the baking powder. Other than that my method is very similar. The wings come out crispy every time and have been one of our go to meals for game day!
I will have to try the cornstarch method, as I have read about it before. You are correct about aftertaste. If you go over just a bit, it can go from tasting like your licking aluminum foil to a bar of soap and in the trash it goes...

Thanks!

I do 2hrs on the smoker and crisp them up on med/high on the gas Weber. They turn out very good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back