Poultry Chicken Dumplings

tpack

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
This is non-Recteq related but I still wanted to post. Its the time of year when we start eating those foods that we eat when the weather cools off. This was my first cool weather comfort food of the year. Chicken and Dumplings is one of my favorite.

full-8162-259123-img_1814.jpg

full-8162-259122-img_1821.jpg

full-8162-259121-img_1824.jpg

full-8162-259119-img_1825.jpg

Looks delicious! Share your recipe by chance?
I have been using Paula Dean`s recipe that I got on line several years ago and we really like it. The dumplings are super simple and easy to make. Enjoy.

Ingredients
4 quarts water
1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cream of celery or cream of chicken soup(I add one of each)
1 teaspoon Paula Deen's House Seasoning(salt, pepper and garlic)
2 chicken bouillon cubes(I use Better Than Bouillon chicken base)
2 bay leaves
1 large chopped onion
3 ribs chopped celery
1 2 1/2 lb chicken(I use boneless chicken breast)
2 tablespoons (optional) corn starch

Dumplings
2 cups all purpose flour mixed with 1 teaspoon salt.
3/4 cup ice water

Directions

Chicken:
Cut up chicken, but do not remove skin. The skin and bones can be removed later. Place chicken, celery, onion, bay leaves, bouillon and House Seasoning in water and cook at a low boil for 30 to 45 minutes, until meat begins to fall off the bones. Remove skin and bones at this point, along with bay leaves. Return chicken to pan. Prepare dumplings and set them aside for a few minutes. Add cream soup to chicken and continue to boil. If desired, you can thicken the stock at little by mixing 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and adding it to the stock. Drop dumplings into boiling stock. Never stir dumplings. Shake the pot gently in a circular motion to submerge dumplings in stock. Cook until the dumplings float and are no longer doughy, 3 to 4 minutes. Do not overcook.

Dumplings:
Put flour/salt mixture in a mixing bowl. Beginning in center of flour, dribble a small amount of ice water. Work mixture with fingers from center of bowl to sides of bowl, incorporating small amounts of water at a time. Continue until all flour is used up. Batter will feel as if it is going to be tough. Knead dough and form into ball. Dust a good amount of flour onto dough board and rolling pin. Roll out dough, working from center. Dough will be firm. Roll to 1/8 inch thinness. Let it air-dry for a minute or two while you return your attention to the boiling pot at the point at which you add the canned soup to the chicken mixture. Cut dumplings into 1-inch strips. Working with one strip at a time, hold strip over pot, pull it in half, and drop into the boiling stock. Remember, do not stir after dumplings have been added to pot.

https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/chicken-dumplings/

That sure looks good. Might I make a suggestion of adding self rising flour instead of AP? I have started using self rising over AP several years ago for dumplings and they are great. They tend to be a little fluffier and lighter than using AP. I don't add any additional salt, as the self rising flour already has sodium in it. I can't recall where I saw this modification, but have been using it ever since with great results. It definitely is a good time of year for some good comfort food.

If you don’t want to buy self rising flour you can just add 1-1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt to the AP flour to make it self rise 😉

@tpack - made it and it was a hit! I tweaked a bit and used store bought chicken stock instead of water to add more depth of flavor, but still added 1tsp of chicken base. Followed everything else and everyone loved it.

Thanks for sharing

@tpack - made it and it was a hit! I tweaked a bit and used store bought chicken stock instead of water to add more depth of flavor, but still added 1tsp of chicken base. Followed everything else and everyone loved it.

Thanks for sharing
Great. When you use water like I did you really need to add quite a bit of chicken base(Better Than Bouillon) to get the good flavor of the chicken. Glad you enjoyed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back