Chicken Breasts- I think I am being set up-SUCCESS!!!!

Pops

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I have had 4 successful cooks on my 590, shared them all, great feedback.

For Easter, I am climbing the Mt Everest of beef by cooking a Beef Tenderloin, any recipes or ides would be appreciated. (I am terrified)

That being said I have to cook Saturday too and my wife said oh we have alot of chicken breast from Costso! They are good and huge, but I am scared to death of the chicken breast. It is the landmine of grilling.

Any ideas?

Good luck on the tenderloin. I have not done one so interested what other say.

I have followed this similar for chicken.. you can't go wrong with this one. I have it bookmarked. If the wife doesn't like this then something is wrong. You can change it up as desired for ingredients.

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads...-chicken-breasts-monday-11-january-2021.3104/
Thanks! You are always helpful and positive! I will give it a shot!
Yea on tenderloin, family coming in, confident with RecteQ, but still a tall order.

Thanks! You are always helpful and positive! I will give it a shot!
Yea on tenderloin, family coming in, confident with RecteQ, but still a tall order.

My pleasure.. We have to share the awesomeness from everyone here :) .. Wish it was my idea, LOL

When I can get beef tenderloin on sale, after trimming, I will start from the center and work my way outwards. Now, the tenderloins I typically get at Kroger are about 12"-16" long maybe, give or take as I never have measured them. I will cut fillets about 2" thick or so and season usually with salt/pepper, place on a rack inside a sheet uncovered for at least overnight in the fridge.

The next day, about an hour or so before dinner, I will toss them on the RT @ 250 for about 30-45 minutes to just around 130 IT. I prefer not to have too much smoke flavor on these, so if you like more smoke then go at 225. After this, it's up to you on how to sear them. I usually have three options. 1). CI if I have one that's large enough to hold the meat, 2). Sear on my gasser, or 3). Sear on a charcoal grill.

I know many use their RT for searing, but my 340 isn't the best for that. If your Stampede can get good and hot for a sear, then that's another option. CI, with some clarified butter and garlic is really my favorite though.

If you have smaller pieces of tenderloin after cutting your fillets, they are great for stew meat or similar cooks and my favorite tenderloin chili.

For Easter, I am climbing the Mt Everest of beef by cooking a Beef Tenderloin, any recipes or ides would be appreciated. (I am terrified)

That being said I have to cook Saturday too and my wife said oh we have alot of chicken breast from Costso! They are good and huge, but I am scared to death of the chicken breast. It is the landmine of grilling.

Any ideas?
Cooked one xmas eve
I set my bull on 450 with sear kit, one she was at temp I seared for 3 mins per side and pulled. Lowered temp to 325 and placed back directly on grates til the tenderloin hit 135 because some folks like it more medium. Make sure you tie it evenly. i lightly salted mine the night before and set it in the fridge overnight on a raised rack. good luck buddy

Any ideas?
For the chicken breast thaw them, then make a slit or pocket and stuff them with high temp cheddar cheese. I get my cheese from any local butcher. Then I wrap them in bacon usually 2 slices per breast and baste with bbq or honey mustard. Grill at 375 until thickest part of the chicken is 165 degrees. You will not be disappointed.

Cooked one xmas eve
I set my bull on 450 with sear kit, one she was at temp I seared for 3 mins per side and pulled. Lowered temp to 325 and placed back directly on grates til the tenderloin hit 135 because some folks like it more medium. Make sure you tie it evenly. i lightly salted mine the night before and set it in the fridge overnight on a raised rack. good luck buddy

Tomorrow is the day! I have seen 2 methods, 1 cook first sear last and I think you are saying sear first then cook last?
Any comments or thoughts here?

FYI, chicken breasts tonight will post results!

Ok, here we go! I did chicken breasts and first let me start out with they were good.

They were the best I have ever cooked, maybe not he best I have ever had, but they were good. I am really enjoying learning and trying new things.
This is what I did.

I took 2 quarts of water, 1/2 cup of kosher salt and 1/2 cup of sugar and brined the breasts for 4 hours. (Never brined before but will in the future)

Took them out of the brine, patted them dry, put a little EVOO on them and then rubbed them in the Asian Persuasion, which has a little more kick that I anticipated, but all loved it.

Cooked on 420 for 35 minutes. After 35 checked temp, most were at 165, pulled left a couple on for a few minutes and then all done. These breasts came from Costco and are the ones in the packages that are HUGE!

The result was a good chicken breast, they weren't so juicy that when you cut juice flowed out, but they were tender flavorful and NOT dry.

I would like them a bit juicer, but not sure how to accomplish. Again, not disappointing, as they were good and family ate them up! Family gave them an 8/9 out of 10. I will take it! Just always tweaking and looking for that perfect cook!

The biggest question I have is that I saw recipes from 250 for an hour to 500 for 30 minutes. Basic question on chicken is low and slow or hot and fast? I understand breasts are very difficult.

Once again, thanks to all who gave advice. I think next time I am doing stuffed breasts!

Tomorrow the beef tenderloin!

Happy Easter to all!

Attachments

• IMG_3360.JPG
    IMG_3360.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
I would have used the probes in the two smallest breasts. Pulled those wrapped and rested in medium warming drawer immediately when they reached temp. Reuse the probes or an insta-read thermometer on the last two, pull and rest when they get to temp. Serve after resting. Resting, wrapped in foil, is important. 3-5 min minimum for breasts.

Tomorrow is the day! I have seen 2 methods, 1 cook first sear last and I think you are saying sear first then cook last?
Any comments or thoughts here?
Sorry for delayed response- yes I seared first.

Thanks for the advice, the breast were different sizes and that was a little more challenging and I do forget how important resting is. I will definitely do that next time. I did notice when I placed on the pan after cooking quite a bite of juice came out. There were 8 but we were hungary and ate, I forgot pics and got up during dinner. Wife thinks I am crazy!!!
The good news is they were still very good and I will tweak the recipe and improve!

Thanks for all of your advice!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back