cheat river pellet review ($5.98 per 40lbs)

chadinsc

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I noticed a bag of really cheap pellets at lowes that specifically said great for pellet grills. i wanted to try them because they cost 5.98 for 40lbs. the cheat river pellets say they are made with 100 percent hardwood but do not specifically say what kind, probably changes weekly. The pellets are actually good quality with the normal amount of dust and the average length was a bit longer than more expensive pellets. they smoked great at low temperatures and actually produce more smoke than average i would say. they didn’t produce anymore ash than lumberjack, which for me produces more than most brands but it doesn’t bother me. i would guess there most common customer is a pellet heater user and it shows, these pellets produce alot of heat and will get to a hi temp faster than anything i have tried. the btu content of these is impressive. i cooked many things with these pellets and for higher temps like pizza and smash burgers or if you just wanted to sear a steak they are great. however i did a pork butt with them and left it on 180 for 8hrs then finished it off at 225. the grill was smoking like crazy the hole time and held temp perfect but there is absolutely no smoke flavor. i don’t understand how that’s possible but it was true for spatchcocked chicken, reverse sear steaks and that butt. i personally will not buy them again but if you like changing pellets for different cooks they are fantastic for high temp cooking and super cheap. just thought i would pass on my opinion. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Still-River-Pellets/5001965889

Attachments

• D9FA4809-6280-4BD0-A65A-3CBB4D2816C1.jpeg
    D9FA4809-6280-4BD0-A65A-3CBB4D2816C1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 393
  • C78E178E-68B3-441A-B3D6-453526B56ED6.jpeg
    C78E178E-68B3-441A-B3D6-453526B56ED6.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 157
  • 05A96372-0BDF-4B7B-A66A-A50ED8D295A0.jpeg
    05A96372-0BDF-4B7B-A66A-A50ED8D295A0.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 152
I noticed a bag of really cheap pellets at lowes that specifically said great for pellet grills. i wanted to try them because they cost 5.98 for 40lbs. the cheat river pellets say they are made with 100 percent hardwood but do not specifically say what kind, probably changes weekly. The pellets are actually good quality with the normal amount of dust and the average length was a bit longer than more expensive pellets. they smoked great at low temperatures and actually produce more smoke than average i would say. they didn’t produce anymore ash than lumberjack, which for me produces more than most brands but it doesn’t bother me. i would guess there most common customer is a pellet heater user and it shows, these pellets produce alot of heat and will get to a hi temp faster than anything i have tried. the btu content of these is impressive. i cooked many things with these pellets and for higher temps like pizza and smash burgers or if you just wanted to sear a steak they are great. however i did a pork butt with them and left it on 180 for 8hrs then finished it off at 225. the grill was smoking like crazy the hole time and held temp perfect but there is absolutely no smoke flavor. i don’t understand how that’s possible but it was true for spatchcocked chicken, reverse sear steaks and that butt. i personally will not buy them again but if you like changing pellets for different cooks they are fantastic for high temp cooking and super cheap. just thought i would pass on my opinion. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Still-River-Pellets/5001965889
Thank you! I’ve been wondering about those.

That is very strange they produced no smoke flavor.. Honestly I like to reverse sear ribeyes but do not like the added smoke flavor. I much prefer the natural flavor of a ribeye. Might have to keep this in mind. Appreciate the review.. very helpful.

The pellets you linked to are heat fuel pellets - NOT bbq pellets. But what you linked to is not the same pellet as in your pictures. Still, every review of cheat river I find says heater fuel pellets. Buyer beware.

Last edited:
The pellets you linked to are heat fuel pellets - NOT bbq pellets. But what you linked to is not the same pellet as in your pictures. Still, every review of cheat river I find says heater fuel pellets. Buyer beware.
i agree that link doesn’t mention bbq pellets. its the same item number as what i bought that says great for pellet grills though. i gave them the name the impossible pellet, like the meatless meat. how the heck can they produce so much smoke and no flavor. they didn’t make a bad taste, just no taste. i gave the rest of the pork butt to a good dog, she loved it lol
C57CAD66-D216-46E3-9C2A-C876D7E4CEBC.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back