Chamber Vacuum Sealer

Edthebook

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Is there any advantage of having a chamber food saver? I am thinking of buying one.

What brand and model do you recommend?

i trust peoples open on their forum as they own a Recteq.

Is any advantage over a vac sealer? If not what would you recommend ?

thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
I couldn't justify having one myself because of our cooking style. With the exception of steaks every Friday night I cook in multiples of 4-6 meals. My wife still works so we eat out of the freezer 3-5 nights a week. I guess what I am saying is... Nothing stays in our freezer long enough to degrade in regular zip-lock bags.

I just have a simple foodsaver brand unit and it does the job. We use it several times a month for the past 2 years with no issues.

The chamber sealer is nice because you can seal liquids inside the bag. The equal vacuum inside and outside the bag make that possible. They are a little slower to cycle, so lot's of use will take a little longer time. They are big heavy suckers too. Chamber size limits you too. A regular sealer you can run a bag for a side of ribs if you need.
I have one and use it a lot less than I thought I would. I sorta wish I wouldn't have spent the $500 on it now. I use my regular vacuum sealer weekly.

Know exactly what you're planning to do with it before buying.

Pros: Liquids can be sealed. Bag prices generally cheaper.

Cons: Expensive. Large and heavy. Slow cycling. Chamber size can limit what you vacuum.

What brand of Vac sealer do you have?

i do think that a chamber type would be over kill. There really aren’t many things that I would actually seal.

smoked cheese yesterday and they recommend a vac sealer. Don’t know if it is worth having one.
Am wondering if people actually use them a lot

My chamber sealer is the vacmaster vp112. I think it's been discontinued now, but still readily available.
My regular vacuum sealer is a vacmaster pro350.

Both are nice machines, I just find that the chamber sealer doesn't get used much. I use the 350 several times a week for packaging homemade bacon, sausage, bulk meat buying, sous vide, ect.

The chamber sealer only advantage to me is that you can do juicy things or liquids. A regular sealer doesn't work when juices get pulled up into the seal zone.

After having the typical Foodsaver machines for many years I got tired of the newer (roughly last 10-15 years) ones dying what I considered early. My first machine lasted over 10 years, the last 3 less than three years each. Done! I ended up with a chamber vac because it does a better job more reliably and the bags are crazy cheaper. If you're young enough and vigilant about using one the bag cost will mostly, if not completely, offset the higher cost. If you're going to get one, get the oil style vacuum pump, not the dry, they last longer and are quieter. The bulk/weight is a real issue. I have a second pantry off the laundry room and put my machine on a rolling cart. The cart removes any reluctance because of the handling concerns. As mentioned, the best known advantage is the liquid thing. If you get one with a high enough dome in the lid you can seal containers that fit as well, not just bags. The ability to "make your own" bag is sometimes stated as an advantage for the external suction devices (e.g. foodsaver) but many of the chamber vacs will do that too if you have roll material (losing the cost advantage to convenience) and place it from the outside of the lid. You lose the full in/out vac advantage, but it works like the normal exterior machines. I use it every week for something, small jobs, big jobs, it's there, use it. I'll even do refrigerated deli items, like some cheeses that grow fur quickly, which extends their storage life and helps retain more flavor. It should go without saying, but, in more normal times, when meats go on sale you can stock up if you also have the freezer space. Added savings and convenience. It's like a lot of things if you have the correct mindset............when you've got one you find more uses for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back