Central PA - Possible RT 700 Purchase coming

Dr. Jones

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So I have been researching this stuff for a couple years now. My wife about 5 years ago bought me one of those small fridge looking electric chip smokers and I'm ready to go to college now.

I've looked at Yoder but was scared of rust here in CPA. Also looked at Camp Chef woodwinds with the sear box but these things seem to be on perpetual back order.

Now I am at the bull. Can't wait to convince my wife to spend $1,200. haha

Nice to virtually "meat" all of you. Next round is on me.

The Bull is a lot of fun.
And Worth every penny.
if you can sell your other smoker use the money for the new one.

IMHO The Bull is a great place to start. Add the Grillgrates and cooking mats and it's pretty versatile.

I have one of those box type smokers and I can't give it away. I took it to work in hopes someone would steal it and it's still there :(

IMHO The Bull is a great place to start. Add the Grillgrates and cooking mats and it's pretty versatile.

I have one of those box type smokers and I can't give it away. I took it to work in hopes someone would steal it and it's still there :(
Ha! I may throw it on the Fbook marketplace for some random price but your right....... They are so cheap and so available now.

Honestly..... it does great with chicken. I just cant fit full racks of ribs in the chamber unless I slice them down more. And personally....... that's almost like abandoning your pets in the woods.

#SomethingOnlyAMurdererWouldDo.

I started on an electric box smoker. Great entry point to see if it's for you. I miss the cleanness of the lack of pellet dust with the electric unit and mine had as much capacity as my Bull. However, the things I really like about the pellet experience is top open with excellent access to the food, front shelf for wrapping, re-arranging, etc. Plus my electric box was a pain to clean up after a messy drippy smoke.

Enjoy! You may want to spin your message differently on why you want to upgrade when you present it to your wife. 🤔

Had a Camp Chef w/sear box. Fit wasn't great - had to tweak the lid to get a near fit/seal. Other complaint was that I had to bend over somewhat to cook on it as the cooking surface is pretty low for me. I'm no giant, but am about 6'2". I then went to a Oklahoma Joe's Rider DLX. Massive improvement in cooking area and height of surface but had some awful swings in temps. Up to 67 degrees. Ruined a couple of cooks I had going. Called and got new controller and internal temp probe, but am not keeping it.

Had a Camp Chef w/sear box. Fit wasn't great - had to tweak the lid to get a near fit/seal. Other complaint was that I had to bend over somewhat to cook on it as the cooking surface is pretty low for me. I'm no giant, but am about 6'2". I then went to a Oklahoma Joe's Rider DLX. Massive improvement in cooking area and height of surface but had some awful swings in temps. Up to 67 degrees. Ruined a couple of cooks I had going. Called and got new controller and internal temp probe, but am not keeping it.
Interesting. I'm 6'3" and never thought it may be short for me. Thanks for that feedback.

Interesting. I'm 6'3" and never thought it may be short for me. Thanks for that feedback.

I am 6'4" and I have read that the competition cart raises the grill a bit compared to the basic legs. I just got mine today and part way through assembling and it would be nice if it was a bit taller for me. Though in the end it probably doesn't matter all that much. If you are looking you are not cooking after all. Stick the probes in it and monitor it that way.

I'm also thinking about the front shelf but have noticed that it really sits lower than the chamber (for obvious reasons). i may just buy a 6ft folding table to sit next to it. that may make more sense at my height.

I'm also thinking about the front shelf but have noticed that it really sits lower than the chamber (for obvious reasons). i may just buy a 6ft folding table to sit next to it. that may make more sense at my height.
That’s what I’m going to do, I’m 6’1 and Did not get the folding shelf with my Bull.
Don’t think I’ll need it right now. Will utilize a folding table and/or the shelves on my Blackstone 36 griddle.

Yeah that is the plan for me as well. Separate table that is. However, I also have seen some neat builds where people that got the competition cart used the original legs to build a cart. Since I have set of legs that would be easy to pull off. Build it as tall as you want. Added plus is that it is on wheels and it would be useful for my Blackstone as well.

I'm 6'1" and use the front shelf almost every time I use my bull. Folds up with one hand and down with two. Would not be without it.

I got the comp cart with my 700, and may still do the toolbox mod to raise it up even further.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back