Cast Iron Suggestions

Smoker4

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I'm interested in getting some cast iron pieces to use on my Bull. Anyone have experience with the Lodge cast iron? Any other recommendations? I have a recipe for a Dutch oven, so will start with that piece. What else do you recommend getting?

Lodge is a great option, good quality and all made In Tennessee (except for the enameled stuff, which is imported from China). In addition to a Dutch oven, I use a skillet a lot in the Bull-they have larger ones that have dual loop handles to save space in your grill. I use this one a lot, only $20 on Amazon.
https://www.lodgemfg.com/product/dual-handled-pan?sku=L10SKL

Once you go cast you'll never go back. I've been using ones that were grandmothers for years.

Lodge is definitely one of the better ones around for modern manufacturing. Otherwise if you want a true vintage look for ones made by Griswold.

Sikellts in a couple different sizes would be my recommendation. And then maybe add a deep skillet and then a pan.

Make sure you do a good cleaning and seasoning if you get a vintage one. Otherwise if you get new, off the shelf they will already be seasoned.

The old wives tale that you can't use soap is just that, a wives tale. While you dont want to soak your iron in water and soap; a couple drops wont hurt the pan or seasoning. Just make sure you dry the pan really good. If the iron wont be used for some time it's good to rub it down with some olive oil or a light coat of pam.

Plenty of information on the internet to help guide you.

I use CI all of the time. They are great for anything cooked and or baked. Get a nice sized skillet for pizzas and other assortments. I have a smaller Dutch oven that I stick in the RT with beans all of the time. Ndfan hit the nail on the head as far as maintenance goes. I always will put the pan back in the oven, or on the stove for a little bit after cleaning it. Dryness is the key.

@Smoker4 If you're looking for new, then Lodge is probably going to be your best bet.

Otherwise, and I prefer, to use older cast iron. You can usually find them at yard sales or auctions. Many times they are dirty and rusty but will clean up with a little effort. The older cast iron just seems to be better stuff - but they also tend to cost more as well.

Gotta get those older models that won't have any radiation exposure... those will be worth more and more as time goes on...

yes, yes and yes. I dont or should i say havent yet used cast iron on the bull, but we do use it heavily in the kitchen and i have some cast iron searing grates i use on the kamado. We recently picked up some thick carbon steel pans (almost as heavy as cast iron) the wife loves them. They also need to be treated with love as they rust up with a drop of water left on them but they are a dream to cook with.

I also want to try one from lodge but a couple of these are what we just picked up: https://www.amazon.com/Buyer-5610-26A-Mineral-Frying-Silver-Grey/dp/B00462QP0W

A really nice cast iron pan heirloom quality will set you back around $200, which gets you a super smooth surface. Great if you really need non stick properties, but if not, I would buy the Lodge for around $20 without hesitation.

if you want to drop the coin, then look up Smithey and Finex brands.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back