RT-1250 Cast Iron Deflector from RT 1250

Mattypz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So I just called customer support to ask if RT would be selling the cast iron deflector from the recently dropped 1250 as I wanted to purchase it as an upgrade for my 700. The representative told me that it would only be available for purchase exclusively under the warranty for new 1250 purchases. He suggested I buy the new grill...ha, I just bought the 700 a few months ago.

I'm hoping I can ask a new owner of the 1250 to help me out on this forum.

So I just called customer support to ask if RT would be selling the cast iron deflector from the recently dropped 1250 as I wanted to purchase it as an upgrade for my 700. The representative told me that it would only be available for purchase exclusively under the warranty for new 1250 purchases. He suggested I buy the new grill...ha, I just bought the 700 a few months ago.

All you need is a serial number 😁

Thank you! The serial number of the deflector shield right? I didn't see it on the website yet but I'll keep an eye out.

Just do the steel plate mod. Works great, likely cheaper.

I guess that means the drip shield isn't going to be for sale either.

In a way, the recteq response....this makes zero sense. Why wouldn't they want folks to buy more stuff to upgrade the grill?

Just do the steel plate mod. Works great, likely cheaper.

I guess that means the drip shield isn't going to be for sale either.

In a way, the recteq response....this makes zero sense. Why wouldn't they want folks to buy more stuff to upgrade the grill?
What is the steel plate mod?

This will make me hesitant on recommending a RecTeq to friends and family. Not crazy about this mentality of a company to be honest. It is not customer centric proving the path they plan to ride out. Selfish and greed will be their demise.

I have to wonder if they are only taking this stance to ensure they have enough parts for warranty issues. It's new stuff.....I don't know what kind of in stock % inventory they have.

The little upgrades are nice, but I will be honest.....IF this grill was available when I ordered my RT-700....I probably would have passed. I don't think the upgrades are worth $400 since most of us can do something similar for less than $100 (other than the 2.4 and 5.0 wifi).

I am currently thinking of doing a sheet metal type drip tray (as opposed to the drip shield that goes inside) for the the front that just hooks on to the bottom of the grill (kind of like the Grilla Grills drip tray). Cheap, fairly easy I think, and will do the job. I suspect it's a $20 or less project.

Last edited:
This will make me hesitant on recommending a RecTeq to friends and family. Not crazy about this mentality of a company to be honest. It is not customer centric proving the path they plan to ride out. Selfish and greed will be their demise.
Especially with respect to the deflector. That’s been an ongoing problem with the grills since day 1 and it’s a quality issue-not an enhancement to the grill that adds functionality like the second shelf or hold-downs, etc. do.

Especially with respect to the deflector. That’s been an ongoing problem with the grills since day 1 and it’s a quality issue-not an enhancement to the grill that adds functionality like the second shelf or hold-downs, etc. do.
Maybe for all warranty parts going forward they will upgrade people to the heavy duty deflector. That would be the nice thing to do since they aren't letting people buy the parts.

Personally I’d like to see a pellet dump and/or ash clean out upgrade than tie downs and a drip shield.
Those options to me would avoid breaking out the shop vac ever time I clean.
I honestly almost got a Camp Chef today instead of the 1250 because of the pellet dump, ash clean out, lower smoking temp (160 vs 180) and direct flame cooking, but ultimately I went with the 1250. It was a tough decision though.

I wouldn’t get myself too worried about not being able to get the parts to upgrade the 700 right away.
The 1250 is hardly out and it doesn’t have any parts section on the recteq site yet either. all the accessories advertised for it are just for the 700 too.
soon enough and we’ll be able to get everything

I honestly almost got a Camp Chef today instead of the 1250 because of the pellet dump, ash clean out, lower smoking temp (160 vs 180) and direct flame cooking, but ultimately I went with the 1250. It was a tough decision though.

I agree with @MikeyB I think you made the right decision for sure. A pellet dump in my opinion is not needed. If you're dumping 40 pounds of pellets in the hopper to cook burgers today and know you're going to smoke a brisket the next day using different pellets - then you're doing this entirely all wrong. There is ZERO need to fill the hopper up to full capacity.

Dump in what you think you need and then either leave the rest to be cycled through or use a shop vac to clean it out. But that's my opinion.

I wouldn’t get myself too worried about not being able to get the parts to upgrade the 700 right away.
The 1250 is hardly out and it doesn’t have any parts section on the recteq site yet either. all the accessories advertised for it are just for the 700 too.
soon enough and we’ll be able to get everything

I'm not so sure RecTeq would change on this stance, but if they did then I would also say it wouldn't be until the RT-1250 has been out for a while. It wouldn't make sense for them to start selling parts for a brand new grill they literally just released yesterday to owners of other models.

Give them time or use alternative parts. The nice thing about the RecTeq community is that it's a large community and there are plenty of people making all kinds of parts and upgrades for all models of their grills. :)

I agree with @MikeyB I think you made the right decision for sure. A pellet dump in my opinion is not needed. If you're dumping 40 pounds of pellets in the hopper to cook burgers today and know you're going to smoke a brisket the next day using different pellets - then you're doing this entirely all wrong. There is ZERO need to fill the hopper up to full capacity.

Dump in what you think you need and then either leave the rest to be cycled through or use a shop vac to clean it out. But that's my opinion.
Yeah the pellet dump was really far down on my list and I agree about loading the hopper up. I'll most likely find one pellet I like and just use that for everything but we will as time goes on. I don't really care that much about the pellet dump. It was more the other features that made me question it.

I have found that many people, like you and myself, recently purchased their RT-700 and are really interested in the cast iron deflector.

I'm not so sure RecTeq would change on this stance, but if they did then I would also say it wouldn't be until the RT-1250 has been out for a while. It wouldn't make sense for them to start selling parts for a brand new grill they literally just released yesterday to owners of other models.

Give them time or use alternative parts. The nice thing about the RecTeq community is that it's a large community and there are plenty of people making all kinds of parts and upgrades for all models of their grills. :)
hi it definitely wouldn’t be happening right away if they do start selling those parts since I’m sure they don’t have such huge stock of everything currently but given a little time i think you’ll be able to get at least some of the stuff

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back