Can you use the RT Small Interior Shelf to smoke a brisket?

Rectechie

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I was watching a Mad Scientist YT video on how to smoke a brisket on a pellet grill. Jeremy Yoder recommends smoking the brisket on the upper shelf to improve air flow and better bark.

Would the small interior shelf support a 11-12 lb packer brisket or would I require 2 small shelf’s?

I prefer not to add a 3rd party shelf for this that would require modifying the 590.

If you have that rack, I guess I would measure it and measure some briskets.

I have 2 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Tebery-Stain...stainless+steel+rack+for+grill,aps,102&sr=8-4

I got these when I got my Bull. I use these for racks. When I'm only doing one brisket, I like to elevate the brisket/meat also like Jermey Yoder says. I think you no doubt get better air flow which should improve smoke coming in contact with the meat.

I’ve never tried a brisket on a small shelf as i use a large shelf for that on the 700. But this Image may help you. Here’s a small shelf inside the 20x14 sheet pan that I use to prep a brisket.

6B48D98B-5121-422C-B3E8-280F3159F97F.jpeg

I prefer not to add a 3rd party shelf for this that would require modifying the 590.
The modification to add the additional upper shelf only requires drilling a few small holes to mount the brackets which takes ~15 minutes. It uses the included rivets to mount the brackets, but I used some stainless steel fasteners I had laying around. I'd go with the one from Gene Gauger which is made from heavy duty T304 stainless steel solid rods that will outlast the grill. Someone else sells one, but it's made from thin inexpensive expanded steel (not stainless) which is prone to rusting and is kinda cheap looking.

upper shelf 2.jpg

The modification to add the additional upper shelf only requires drilling a few small holes to mount the brackets which takes ~15 minutes. It uses the included rivets to mount the brackets, but I used some stainless steel fasteners I had laying around. I'd go with the one from Gene Gauger which is made from heavy duty T304 stainless steel solid rods that will outlast the grill. Someone else sells one, but it's made from thin inexpensive expanded steel (not stainless) which is prone to rusting and is kinda cheap looking.

View attachment 17624
I have to ask, how do you get the Deflection pan out with that additional brackets installed. It seems it would interfere with that?
Also could you provide the link to this Gene Gauger / Brackets, etc?

I picked up this second rack from Grillparts.com

SDSCSWarming Rack (Secondary Cooking Surface), Holland and Phoenix (Replaces OEM BHA3002)

This has fixed legs and is 24" x 8" longer but 2" narrower than the recteq second rack.

In all reality for ribs the space taken up by the legs negates the extra area provided by these shelves.

A small brisket might fit on one of these racks.

I have to ask, how do you get the Deflection pan out with that additional brackets installed. It seems it would interfere with that?
Also could you provide the link to this Gene Gauger / Brackets, etc?
I thought the same thing, but anyone with any sense wouldn't make an accessories that prevents the drip tray from being removed. It's close, but still easy to remove the drip try in a few seconds.

Gene is in several rec teq groups on facebook, just DM him with your model grill and zipcode for pricing.

The rack even came with installation instructions and temporary wooden spacer blocks to set correct bracket height so you don't even have to measure anything to install it. I have no affiliation with Gene, just a satisfied customer.

FB link Gene Gauger

Last edited:
I've watched the same video you're referring to and honestly it's not needed at all and in my opinion he's doing it all wrong on a pellet grill.

Put the brisket fat side down, towards the heat source. You've got a heat deflector and a drip pan, the majority of the heat is coming via convection type cooking not from directly under the brisket so putting it on the rack at low temps like 225 would actually be hotter on the unprotected bark if it's on a rack.

My main reasons for fat side down are to not ruin the bark and presentation and easy access to spritz the unprotected side. If it's fat side up on a tray the bark will dry out too fast imo.

I thought the same thing, but anyone with any sense wouldn't make an accessories that prevents the drip tray from being removed. It's close, but still easy to remove the drip try in a few seconds.

Gene is in several rec teq groups on facebook, just DM him with your model grill and zipcode for pricing.

The rack even came with installation instructions and temporary wooden spacer blocks to set correct bracket height so you don't even have to measure anything to install it. I have no affiliation with Gene, just a satisfied customer.

FB link Gene Gauger
Appreciate it.
However I keep a small footprint online, and facebook is definitely not one of them LOL

Appreciate it.
However I keep a small footprint online, and facebook is definitely not one of them LOL
I concur with keeping small footprint online as well, that's why I use a fake name on facebook. Unfortunately, facebook has become the preferred method for discussions and to share information, I prefer the forum format for this, but I guess many others don't.

I concur with keeping small footprint online as well, that's why I use a fake name on facebook. Unfortunately, facebook has become the preferred method for discussions and to share information, I prefer the forum format for this, but I guess many others don't.
Three years ago on September first I decided to take a 30-day break from Facebook and put my account on sabbatical, or whatever Facebook calls it when you won’t get messages, notices, etc. One year later I still had not logged back in, so I closed my account.

FB link Gene Gauger
Does Gene have another contact method?
Some of Us don't use FB.

Thanks

Contacted Gene, had the shelf 3 days later. Just installed it yesterday. Will get some pics as there are 2 pork shoulders on at the moment.

Just installed a slide-out shelf from PCS Rack Works. Seasoned it up with spraying it with avacado oil then ran it for 45 mins at 400. Pic is pre-seasoning...Sunday I'll throw some thick cut bacon on the shelf to break it in and for more seasoning. It's not SS, btw.
20221118_133728.jpg

Looks good, the extra space comes in handy. Smart to keep it well seasoned with oil to prevent rusting since it's not stainless steel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back