Can the 340 handle the elements?

uncle-roger

New member here,
I've never owned a pellet grill and come from a propane/charcoal mentality. The pellet grill seems like the right move but I'm concerned about how this grill will handle the weather with all of the components (electronics, fan, etc.) this thing has in it. My other grills have held up fine - I live in CO and do not cover my grills due to near constant use. We just had a spell of cold (-10 to 5 highs) and snow to give you an idea of the conditions.
Will this thing be reliable in an environment like this?

Thanks,
Concerned buyer

I have a mini, predecessor of the 340, and it has always been scored in the open. I do have the factory cover that has worked well. We have had monsoon rain storms, wind storms, freezing temps, a little snow, and days of 100+ temps. I have had no problems with it. Always starts up, never had a pellet jam. I don’t think I would want to leave it out uncovered in the rain or snow. Only issue I’ve had was a grease fire that was entirely my fault. Caused som bubbling in the paint, but nothing else.

I do not have a 340, I have a 680, but the principle of how the operate are pretty similar with electronics etc. I used to cover my RT but do to laziness have not covered it for a few years now. I use it in all kinds of weather, I just make sure I do not open the hopper while raining or snowing.

The attached pictures are from a few weeks ago after 24 inches of snow hit us here in NJ. Including the drifts, you can see the 680 is almost completely covered. The second pic is two days after the snow, with pork belly burnt ends getting goodness in the pit. These pits are not as delicate with the electronics. Mine has always started right up, and the pellets have always stayed dry....so far.

Attachments

• 680.jpg
    680.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 77
  • All Clean.jpg
    All Clean.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 71
I keep mine covered, when not in use. It just takes a few seconds to put on/remove and it really keeps things dry. I cover all of my outdoor equipment and use them all very often. With that said however, I have used it numerous times in the rain and even in a few unexpected downpours. I have used it in some snow, but nothing close to what you would be experiencing.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm glad to see that these grills can survive w/o a cover which is what I was hoping to verify. Ideally I would use a cover but my cover experience has been disappointing, every cover I have ever used eventually cracked and fell apart after a couple seasons - ended up being a waste of money. Maybe the RecTeq covers don't fall into this category.

Thanks again!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back