Burnt End Substitute Cuts/Meats?

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I really love the real deal burnt ends from brisket point. But, I'm just sorta ok with the flat. Frankly, I prefer my tritip to the flat cut slices. If I could find brisket point alone, I'd be buying that every week and making burnt ends. But given the meat shortages/hoarding and the lack of great butchers in my area, finding brisket, let alone only the point cut, is hit or miss.

So, please share your ideas and experiences on substitute cuts for burnt ends. I'm really thinking I need to make some today.

I want some more of these...
20200311_153429.jpg

beefdiagram.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really craving some beef. What about something off the short plate like boneless short ribs? Or maybe up high on the shoulder, like chuck ribs?

Hopefully, on my way to some great beef treats.
Seasoned with my favorite brisket rub and onto the Bull. 1hr @ 180F, 2hrs @ 250F, 1/2 hr @ 350F, some are tender, some are just on the edge. So, into a covered tray with a dash of water.

20200525_175944.jpg

You didn't say what they are.

They are great!
20200525_211042.jpg

Don't laugh.....

They are "stew meat". I looked thru all the meat at Sam's Club and saw Angus Beef stew meat. I looked thru all of it to find the most marbled package.

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you it's as good as the point off a prime brisket. But the best bites are about 80% and the worst are crunchy, smoky, savory, bark, with a dry beef core, coated in the tangy, sweet sauce are probably 1/2 as good as prime point. But I also had these done in 4 or 5 hours. The biggest negative is the inconsistent sized cubes/scraps. That caused inconsistent cooking and dry little parts.
20200525_211042.jpg

I really love the real deal burnt ends from brisket point. But, I'm just sorta ok with the flat. Frankly, I prefer my tritip to the flat cut slices. If I could find brisket point alone, I'd be buying that every week and making burnt ends. But given the meat shortages/hoarding and the lack of great butchers in my area, finding brisket, let alone only the point cut, is hit or miss.

So, please share your ideas and experiences on substitute cuts for burnt ends. I'm really thinking I need to make some today.

I want some more of these...
View attachment 4212
View attachment 4213
Chuck roast does really well for that. But, I would talk to your local butcher and see what they have available on sale. I've tried it with a couple different cuts and had it turn out tasty.

They are great!
View attachment 4245

Don't laugh.....

They are "stew meat". I looked thru all the meat at Sam's Club and saw Angus Beef stew meat. I looked thru all of it to find the most marbled package.

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you it's as good as the point off a prime brisket. But the best bites are about 80% and the worst are crunchy, smoky, savory, bark, with a dry beef core, coated in the tangy, sweet sauce are probably 1/2 as good as prime point. But I also had these done in 4 or 5 hours. The biggest negative is the inconsistent sized cubes/scraps. That caused inconsistent cooking and dry little parts. View attachment 4245
Hey you never know till you try....looks great to me, thanks for sharing!

well believe it or not..... I smoked some cut up andoille sausage put in tray with sauce and it really turned out good.

I've yet to have brisket burnt ends but over the past year I've made poor man's burnt ends 4-5 times using--as referenced above--chuck roast. To us, they taste awesome but I obviously have no comparison.

I've yet to have brisket burnt ends but over the past year I've made poor man's burnt ends 4-5 times using--as referenced above--chuck roast. To us, they taste awesome but I obviously have no comparison.
Agree...chuck burnt ends are great. While brisket ends are better, chuck will hold its own.

well believe it or not..... I smoked some cut up andoille sausage put in tray with sauce and it really turned out good.

One of the requested appetizers at our extended family gatherings is just some Hillshire Kielbasa smoked for a few hours, sliced and served with some Beaver Hot Sweet Mustard.

I take a whole choice brisket and separate the point and the flat. I brine the flat and make pastrami or corned beef. Take the point and make burnt ends. I did the chuck roast thing into burnt ends a week ago and they are not even close to the real thing. I ended up making chopped beef out of the CR burnt ends. I guess you could even do a whole brisket into burnt ends.
https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/chuck-roast-burnt-ends.2749/

I recently made burnt ends with short ribs. They were very good but I left too much fat on them. Will do them again but I will trim more fat off next time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back