Burn In Concerns

RJ_BBQ

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Received my 1250 today. I have some questions about temperature variations,

The RT-1250 went together as expected. (The video was perfect as well as the manual). Also, this is my first experience with a pellet grill.

Here are my questions:

1. I brought the temperature to 400 degrees, the temperature went up to 436 degrees before it started to come down. (I expected a little increase but not 36 degrees over) Is this normal?
  2. After the burn in, I kept the temperature at 400, then put 15 chicken thighs on. The temperature dropped to 274 (I expected a drop), then went up to 436 again before it started to drop to 400. I checked the chicken after 30 minutes, and it was done. (not the 45 to 60 minutes as on the Youtube videos. Is thistemperature swing normal, going 36 degrees higher than the setting?
I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you,

I don't know about the 1250 but my 590 is insanely stable. Cooked ribs this weekend, stayed at 225 +-2 degrees for 6 hours!

Depending on the outside temp and how long it took you to put the wings on, the drop and increase are probably normal. I wish RT would put a button on the app that tells it you are opening the grill up so that it knows the temp is going to drop and won't increase the feed speed and cause a spike.

Received my 1250 today. I have some questions about temperature variations,

The RT-1250 went together as expected. (The video was perfect as well as the manual). Also, this is my first experience with a pellet grill.

Here are my questions:

1. I brought the temperature to 400 degrees, the temperature went up to 436 degrees before it started to come down. (I expected a little increase but not 36 degrees over) Is this normal?
  2. After the burn in, I kept the temperature at 400, then put 15 chicken thighs on. The temperature dropped to 274 (I expected a drop), then went up to 436 again before it started to drop to 400. I checked the chicken after 30 minutes, and it was done. (not the 45 to 60 minutes as on the Youtube videos. Is thistemperature swing normal, going 36 degrees higher than the setting?
I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you,

RT will tell you it's normal but they could have fine tuned things if they wanted to during the 1250 design. They will blame you that you opened the lid LOL.

Anyway.. you can try & turn down the temps when opening to compensate for the dump of pellets that happen when temps drop & the controller is still set at a higher temp. It might help slightly but your results may vary.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back