Bullseye Bullseye Temps Measuring 50-75 Degrees Above Set Point - Not Fixable?

takeluck

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Received a new bullseye and did the burn in procedure and then tested the grill at 225 using 4 different probes at 4 different spots in the grill (at the grate) and was getting readings from 260-290, but consistent across the 4 probes (meaning the heat was evenly distributed - good!). Ran it then at "Lo" and was getting readings of 240-270 and tried an overnight cook of a brisket that went a bit faster than desired. Probe temps reflect the grill at that same 240-270 range all night/morning, ambient temps in the 60s-70s, no direct sun. I called support to inquire about this and they said I can't possibly measure the temp of the grill using an external thermometer because my thermometer wasn't calibrated like the built-in sensor and I should just "trust it" (the reading on the PID). I can understand a few degrees difference in the readings explained by calibration, but not what I'm seeing. I am new to pellet smoking, but not new to the simple concept of measuring the temperature of something. What am I missing here?

Did try wiring one probe directly to the RTD? And did you test the same probe in boiling water?

Call and ask to talk to Cole. He is very helpful and knowledgeable

Thanks for the tip. Also I checked all 4 probes in boiling water and they measure 211, so I don’t think using wildly inaccurate probes to measure the expected cooking temp.
I mean using some small wire to tie the probe alongside the RTD so it's measuring the exact same air as the RTD
Ah, yes I had the two within 1cm of each other. At least the grill gets blazing hot. I’m still hoping I can use it for low and slow so hopefully someone else in support can help find a solution (or replacement part).

having the same problem, did you find a fix? rectec sent me a new temp probe and that didn't fix it!!

I slowed the auger down to the minimum and did something with the temp offset through the service menu and now it’s around 25 degrees hotter than set which I can deal with. You’ll have to google how to get into the menu as I can’t remember the button combination.

I \cooked some Ribs Sunday and had it set to low and when I went to spritz them an hour into the cook and noticed the bark was already dark and when I finally pulled them they were way over done ao I ran a test and I am seeing an 80 deg difference so I contacted support and they said there is no way of calibrating but they will go through the settings with me when I have time

Attachments

• temp diff.jpg
    temp diff.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 69
Set auger rate to 30 and probe offset to +20. That will get it closer. The type of pellets you use can make a difference. The Bear Mountain pellets I use are some what long and temp to cause higher temps.

Set auger rate to 30 and probe offset to +20. That will get it closer. The type of pellets you use can make a difference. The Bear Mountain pellets I use are some what long and temp to cause higher temps.
What is the procedure for changing the feed rate

Go to RT website and download the latest manual for the Bullseye. It has all that info now. Its on the support page.

Received a new bullseye and did the burn in procedure and then tested the grill at 225 using 4 different probes at 4 different spots in the grill (at the grate) and was getting readings from 260-290, but consistent across the 4 probes (meaning the heat was evenly distributed - good!). Ran it then at "Lo" and was getting readings of 240-270 and tried an overnight cook of a brisket that went a bit faster than desired. Probe temps reflect the grill at that same 240-270 range all night/morning, ambient temps in the 60s-70s, no direct sun. I called support to inquire about this and they said I can't possibly measure the temp of the grill using an external thermometer because my thermometer wasn't calibrated like the built-in sensor and I should just "trust it" (the reading on the PID). I can understand a few degrees difference in the readings explained by calibration, but not what I'm seeing. I am new to pellet smoking, but not new to the simple concept of measuring the temperature of something. What am I missing here?
I just got a new Bullseye today and had the same issue but mine was off almost 100 degrees. My two probes and the meat probe were all within a few degrees, it was only the "actual temp" probe that was off. Major bummer as I had a brisket all ready to go and then the grill didn't work. Sent pics to customer service and they said they would get back to me. Agree that customer service was great but I feel if they had a little better quality control, customer service wouldn't have to deal with so many customers. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back