Bullseye temperature issues

I used my Bullseye for the first time last night. Three racks of St. Louis ribs done at 225 for 90 minutes. Yep, that’s it. And I should have pulled them at 75 minutes. Mine is running way too hot.

I used my Bullseye for the first time last night. Three racks of St. Louis ribs done at 225 for 90 minutes. Yep, that’s it. And I should have pulled them at 75 minutes. Mine is running way too hot.
I just calibrated mine, I was about 30 degrees hotter than setpoint. Calibration is easy thanks to @charlesrshell

Help. I’ve read in a few places about issues with the Bullseye running much hotter than the setting. I really want to use it for low/slow cooks. I reached out to Rec Tec, and they assured the grills run at 225. That’s conflicting with what I’ve read from a few users. Anyone have success with low/slow cooks on theirs?

I found that my B380 ran 60 to 70 degrees hotter when set at 225, and 50-60 hotter when set to 500. I called service and was told that the control was designed to give average temp throughout the cooking chamber and that it was correct. Nonsense. I measured all over the spaces and found consistently higher temps by enough to cook anything at lower set temps, too fast. I used two different individual probes to confirm all this. So I went to the control as per in the manual, and reset the control as directed. You actually add +numbers to correct over heating. The units are supposed to represent % points. I ended up with +18 (from factory setting of 0.). Now when I set at 225* , I get 224*average (moves up and down 5 or 10*). When I set control to 500* I get 530+-. Now be advised that when the temp is climbing to the set point, it will often go 50-60* above initially, but with patience and a few minutes, it will adjust to where it is set and pretty much stay there. When I set it on "riot" it went up to 810* initially and then settled right at 750 or so. I do not know why service goes to such trouble to discourage using this adjustment, or admitting that the control was not correctly programmed at the zero setting. Meanwhile I really like this unit for hot cooks, searing (direct flame). While I don't really plan to use it for low/slow (I have a 590 for that), I know I can do so without fear of making cinders. Fair warning: You still need to keep a close eye on what you do with this unit. If you plan to do low/slow cooks of fatty meats, be sure and put a foil pan with water under the grates to catch the fat and avoid grease fires.

I found that my B380 ran 60 to 70 degrees hotter when set at 225, and 50-60 hotter when set to 500. I called service and was told that the control was designed to give average temp throughout the cooking chamber and that it was correct. Nonsense. I measured all over the spaces and found consistently higher temps by enough to cook anything at lower set temps, too fast. I used two different individual probes to confirm all this. So I went to the control as per in the manual, and reset the control as directed. You actually add +numbers to correct over heating. The units are supposed to represent % points. I ended up with +18 (from factory setting of 0.). Now when I set at 225* , I get 224*average (moves up and down 5 or 10*). When I set control to 500* I get 530+-. Now be advised that when the temp is climbing to the set point, it will often go 50-60* above initially, but with patience and a few minutes, it will adjust to where it is set and pretty much stay there. When I set it on "riot" it went up to 810* initially and then settled right at 750 or so. I do not know why service goes to such trouble to discourage using this adjustment, or admitting that the control was not correctly programmed at the zero setting. Meanwhile I really like this unit for hot cooks, searing (direct flame). While I don't really plan to use it for low/slow (I have a 590 for that), I know I can do so without fear of making cinders. Fair warning: You still need to keep a close eye on what you do with this unit. If you plan to do low/slow cooks of fatty meats, be sure and put a foil pan with water under the grates to catch the fat and avoid grease fires.
I had the exact same experience.

To calibrate, did you just run through the Test Mode and Settings instructions on Page 13 of the owner’s manual?
Yes, page 13 and I think I ended up at 17 offset. I did the calibrating at 250 since that's low and slow range.

Yes, page 13 and I think I ended up at 17 offset. I did the calibrating at 250 since that's low and slow range.
Thanks. Working on it now.

I now know why I was able to finish 3 racks of St. Louis ribs in 90 mins when I had temp set at 225. When it’s set at 250, temp is actually 395! Yikes! That’s a 58% difference. I don’t think that is even available. I guess I’ll just max it out to 20. Ugh.

I now know why I was able to finish 3 racks of St. Louis ribs in 90 mins when I had temp set at 225. When it’s set at 250, temp is actually 395! Yikes! That’s a 58% difference. I don’t think that is even available. I guess I’ll just max it out to 20. Ugh.
I noticed temps were not linear but 250 was on point. Glad you got it figured out. Merry Christmas!

Don't be surprised if you get it right at lower than +20. I don't think each point is 1%. Let us know how it works out. And remember--give it 20 minutes or so to reach a steady endpoint.

I found that my B380 ran 60 to 70 degrees hotter when set at 225, and 50-60 hotter when set to 500. I called service and was told that the control was designed to give average temp throughout the cooking chamber and that it was correct. Nonsense. I measured all over the spaces and found consistently higher temps by enough to cook anything at lower set temps, too fast. I used two different individual probes to confirm all this. So I went to the control as per in the manual, and reset the control as directed. You actually add +numbers to correct over heating. The units are supposed to represent % points. I ended up with +18 (from factory setting of 0.). Now when I set at 225* , I get 224*average (moves up and down 5 or 10*). When I set control to 500* I get 530+-. Now be advised that when the temp is climbing to the set point, it will often go 50-60* above initially, but with patience and a few minutes, it will adjust to where it is set and pretty much stay there. When I set it on "riot" it went up to 810* initially and then settled right at 750 or so. I do not know why service goes to such trouble to discourage using this adjustment, or admitting that the control was not correctly programmed at the zero setting. Meanwhile I really like this unit for hot cooks, searing (direct flame). While I don't really plan to use it for low/slow (I have a 590 for that), I know I can do so without fear of making cinders. Fair warning: You still need to keep a close eye on what you do with this unit. If you plan to do low/slow cooks of fatty meats, be sure and put a foil pan with water under the grates to catch the fat and avoid grease fires.ngthe same thig

the same happened to me. Mine was over the temp, so I did an offset of +5. Also I have a separate problem of the right side temperature being hotter than the left side temperature by 30 degrees at 250 temp, and was able to see this for over an hour. Working with tech support to see if we can root-cause.

the same happened to me. Mine was over the temp, so I did an offset of +5. Also I have a separate problem of the right side temperature being hotter than the left side temperature by 30 degrees at 250 temp, and was able to see this for over an hour. Working with tech support to see if we can root-cause.

I was able to even surface temps on my Blaz'n by moving the deflector toward the hot side; thus allowing more flame and heat on the cool side and evened it up nicely. When the B380 deflector is centered, there is about 1/2" of open space around the barrel. Perhaps moving the deflector toward the hot side might do the same for you??? Just a thought. Good luck and let us know how you work it out.

Don't be surprised if you get it right at lower than +20. I don't think each point is 1%. Let us know how it works out. And remember--give it 20 minutes or so to reach a steady endpoint.
It’s not working out at all. Set at 225, it’s running up at 300. Pretty bummed. Have owned a 680 for 8-10 years with little to no issues. I’ll keep playing with it but just wished it had worked out of the box.

It’s not working out at all. Set at 225, it’s running up at 300. Pretty bummed. Have owned a 680 for 8-10 years with little to no issues. I’ll keep playing with it but just wished it had worked out of the box.
Sorry to hear that. It did not come down after waiting longer? I would call RT service. See if they can offer some assist. Also, while it should not matter, you might try adjusting minimum pellet rate from 65 to 30--and see if any help there. (usually that is done in the summer but who knows?) One thing I note for sure is that initially it will overshoot, even after resetting the "OFFSET". Example, I set it for 225* and it went on up to 275 +- initially but when watched over the next 10=15 minutes it went back down to 220's area. So now I start it up about 30 minutes before I plan to use it. Fortunately that is working for me. For steaks and chops I don't worry about that since I can work with the temps I get. If you have GrillGrates for it, you will always get higher temps off of them. So I do not do any testing with them in place. They are made to retain heat and sear well. They seem to be about 60++ degrees hotter when tested with my infrared sensor.

Sorry to hear that. It did not come down after waiting longer? I would call RT service. See if they can offer some assist. Also, while it should not matter, you might try adjusting minimum pellet rate from 65 to 30--and see if any help there. (usually that is done in the summer but who knows?) One thing I note for sure is that initially it will overshoot, even after resetting the "OFFSET". Example, I set it for 225* and it went on up to 275 +- initially but when watched over the next 10=15 minutes it went back down to 220's area. So now I start it up about 30 minutes before I plan to use it. Fortunately that is working for me. For steaks and chops I don't worry about that since I can work with the temps I get. If you have GrillGrates for it, you will always get higher temps off of them. So I do not do any testing with them in place. They are made to retain heat and sear well. They seem to be about 60++ degrees hotter when tested with my infrared sensor.
I should clarify that the “Actual Temp” is showing 225 degrees which matches the “Set Temp.” But when I measure the temp, I get something much higher. The higher temps are also evident in my cook times. No “slow and low” here. I may just have to get over it but was hoping to have a smaller unit on my upper deck for both grilling and smoking. Thanks for all of the feedback everyone.

I should clarify that the “Actual Temp” is showing 225 degrees which matches the “Set Temp.” But when I measure the temp, I get something much higher. The higher temps are also evident in my cook times. No “slow and low” here. I may just have to get over it but was hoping to have a smaller unit on my upper deck for both grilling and smoking. Thanks for all of the feedback everyone.
I just got the Bullseye last week. On mine, when using the ‘LO’ mode or ‘225’ setting it seems to hold those temps. I put a manual thermometer in the temp probe hole so it sits right at grill level where the food is. However, when I set it to 250, the actual temp is right at 300 on the manual thermometer. I cooked baby back ribs at ‘lo’ and 225 for 4.5 hrs and they came out great. They came off the bone very easy which means I cooked them a little too long, so next time, I’ll keep it in ‘lo’ the whole time.
I cooked steaks last night and riot mode brings it to 650 on my manual thermometer. I definitely need to learn the grill a bit more to do steaks, they didn’t come out great. I’m just not used to the grill yet, that’s all.
To answer the ultimate question though, when the set temp is over 225, I noticed the actual temps are 40-60 degrees hotter than what the actual temp display says it is. Not sure where that temp is measured though. Like I said though, I’m measuring with a manual dial thermometer at the grill level.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back