Bullseye Bullseye temperature issues

During my initial burn in at 400 on the display, my oven thermometer showed 440 to 450.
Did the offset adjustment and seems to have solved the problem. I usually cook between the 225 and 350 for most things, and it is accurate in that range.

Also did the Auger adjustment.

During my initial burn in at 400 on the display, my oven thermometer showed 440 to 450.
Did the offset adjustment and seems to have solved the problem. I usually cook between the 225 and 350 for most things, and it is accurate in that range.

Also did the Auger adjustment.
What setting for the auger, and did it have any effect on temp control?

Can't find the thread where I read it, but 30 was what was the recommended setting.
The usual setting was 65 mild and cold weather, so that enough pellets fell into the pot to keep the fire from going out when set on low. However, in the summer time in hot climates, the ambient temp could be 90-100 and the lowest temps could not be achieved at 65 pellets per hour. So they made this setting to lower the minimum to 30, which would still maintain a fire and low temp. They told me repeatedly that it would not affect the mid and higher temps, since the PID would keep those controlled. So theoretically, it does not adjust the higher temps up or down. However, I wonder if that is so. Did you notice any difference??

They told me repeatedly that it would not affect the mid and higher temps, since the PID would keep those controlled. So theoretically, it does not adjust the higher temps up or down...
Not a theory, what they told you is correct. Changing the feed rate up or down does not change anything other that the minimum temp setting of the grill, and preventing flame-out if the pellet quality is low.

Not a theory, what they told you is correct. Changing the feed rate up or down does not change anything other that the minimum temp setting of the grill, and preventing flame-out if the pellet quality is low.
Ok, I agree. When adjusting the low feed setting on my 590( in hot summer),I have not seen any change at higher temps. However, I am able to get the lower temps promised without flameout.

After all the comments on the temp response of the B380, I decided to run my tests again. With the "Offset" set at +18, I found that when setting to the lower temps from LO to 300 for smoking, that the actual temps were erratic, with wide swings above and below the set temp. No adjustments made any difference. I had to wait at least 20 minutes after the temp arrived at the set temp, and then it would fluctuate down as much as 25* or up as much as 50*. But the result did not even out, with more to the high side than too low. I used two extra thermometers placed at center area of grill grates. While the "Actual" temp readings were less erratic on the control, they were not proportional to the external thermos at all. SO--I tested at higher temp levels (with the Offset still at 18) and got much more stable measures. With the "Set" at 400* I got an "Actual" of from 400 to 408, and the personal thermos were at 440* to 460* but was more steady than at the lower levels. At 500* set temp the results were similar. My conclusions are;
1.Since the high temps and erratic behavior is not confined to my smoker, then I think the controls are not programmed correctly, or are of poor quality compared to those in RT's other products. I have no such troubles with my 590. I suspect that it is the quality, since program errors would have been solved by now.
Thus I do not think the 380 is reliable for any low/slow cooking.
2. I have no problem using the 380 for high temp cooks as I had originally planned. So it will become my "Charbroiler" from this point. One advantage over a charcoal Weber is that it is very fast heating up with far less cleanup after.
Sorry I was unable to find a "formula" for better control at the lower temps.

I just got a new bullseye along with a Thermoworks Signal thermometer. In two separate cookings the grill wa running +40° than what it is reading while running at 225°. In the attached picture it was a 60° difference. I set it to low setting. The bullseye thermometer read 200-205°. The Signals thermometer read 227-248°and the cool thing is I have the session recorded. Hoping to call recteq this week and see what their thoughts are.
Did you do any resetting of the "Offset" control? I was able to get higher temps more accurate and stable but was unable to get any stability to the real temps at LO and 225 setting. I have seen some folks on YouTube that have been able to do lo/slo cooks, but I think the times were shorter than usual. (not sure about that). The end result looked ok for a pork butt cook, but not sure how a brisket turned out. My recent conclusion was that the control is not up to par with their other controls. But I am not an engineer, SWTHDIK? Please let us know what RT says this time.
Just saw two cooks on YouTube. Actually they both looked good to me. Bower's cooks looks really good. I don't believe he had adjusted his control when I communicated with him on this. I can't download them here. Sorry, but they are easy to find.

Last edited:
Mine was 75 degrees hotter than the RecTeq showed. Called RecTeq and he suggested I not adjust the offset because their PID thermometer was reading temps at 100 different places inside the grill. I then asked how can a thermometer mounted on the side of the bowl read temps all over the grill? He answered the question with a lot of BS coming out of his mouth. So I adjusted mine to 20% offset and now the grill is cooking as it should. I mainly use the Bullseye for burgers and reverse searing, but when I'm camping I'd like to do some low and slow cooks.

Mine was 75 degrees hotter than the RecTeq showed. Called RecTeq and he suggested I not adjust the offset because their PID thermometer was reading temps at 100 different places inside the grill. I then asked how can a thermometer mounted on the side of the bowl read temps all over the grill? He answered the question with a lot of BS coming out of his mouth. So I adjusted mine to 20% offset and now the grill is cooking as it should. I mainly use the Bullseye for burgers and reverse searing, but when I'm camping I'd like to do some low and slow cooks.
I got the same type of answers. I was asked to return the offset and feed rates to default values and leave them there. It was suggested change my brand of pellets. Funny, the same pellets works fine in Frankenstein.

I saw similar issues.

On my initial 400d burn, I used two probes at grate height and temps went out of probe range (>572d).

I notified recteq support and was told my probes were made for meat and that the grill was functioning properly. They also mentioned similar comments about their probe taking an average temp across the entire grill.

So, I later ran a more thorough test.

I used 3 independent probes, 2 of which were logged. I used a water pan to simulate meat placed a probe at grate level, a probe above the water and a probe at about 5" above grate.

With the grill control set to 375, all three probes registered a consistent 540 to 560d for ~1hr.

I presented data and photos to recteq support and was basically told, very strongly, I didn't know what I was doing. Their grill was right and I was wrong.

So, I packed the grill up and returned it. I really wanted to like this grill and would actually love to have one of the larger units since reports on the forum say they don't have this issue.

But, given the response from support, I won't be purchasing recteq.

I also find it interesting there's not one single grill review on their site below 5 stars.

I saw similar issues.

On my initial 400d burn, I used two probes at grate height and temps went out of probe range (>572d).

I notified recteq support and was told my probes were made for meat and that the grill was functioning properly. They also mentioned similar comments about their probe taking an average temp across the entire grill.

I used 3 independent probes, 2 of which were logged. I used a water pan to simulate meat placed a probe at grate level, a probe above the water and a probe at about 5" above grate.

With the grill control set to 375, all three probes registered a consistent 540 to 560d for ~1hr.

I presented data and photos to recteq support and was basically told, very strongly, I didn't know what I was doing. Their grill was right and I was wrong.

So, I packed the grill up and returned it. I really wanted to like this grill and would actually love to have one of the larger units since reports on the forum say they don't have this issue.

I also find it interesting there's not one single grill review on their site below 5 stars.
Yep, that's the story I got. I actually think there was mention of RT having 28 temp sensors in place during their testing phase. I will be happy when the buyer takes the Bullseye off my hands.

RT will NOT post anything less than 5 stars, I tried.

I saw similar issues.

I’m having similar problems with my grill. I have tried changing offset temp to plus 20 but temp is still very erratic set at 225. Did recteq let you return it without any issues?

I saw similar issues.

Did they let you return it without any issues? I am still have erratic temps even after setting offset temp to plus 20.

Did they let you return it without any issues? I am still have erratic temps even after setting offset temp to plus 20.
RT will tell you to put grill back to default. Keep calling RT to resolve the issue. Something is wrong and RT needs to accept that fact.

Haven't been able to test it on the Bullseye yet, but my ThermoWorks IRK-2 showed up the other day and has been handy finding cold air leaks in the mean time.

Folks -

Im not an authority on this, but just some observations.

The grill runs hot out of the box. Mine was VERY hot. Like 100 degrees too hot. 3-2-1 ribs were done at 5 hours or earlier. No one could taste the difference. Amazing food, but if you really want the full slow cooked capability, you should simply do the offset.

I went to +17 as folks recommend, and I cooked bone in beef short ribs over the course of 7hrs up to 185F (probably should have left them on longer, but the natives were hungry) at 225F. I don’t know if there were temp swings at that low level, but frankly I don’t care. It took the proper amount of time to cook, had an amazing smoke ring, and tasted great.

To me, once you figure out the offset, it’s the perfect grill.

Bill

Attachments

• F15719E7-31A3-404F-A4C2-CE7F5C60E1B2.jpeg
    F15719E7-31A3-404F-A4C2-CE7F5C60E1B2.jpeg
    944 KB · Views: 73
Tried the foil trick to gap the lid about 1/4" and I don't know if it was that or the new cast iron grates but tonight was the most consistent it has held a temp. I don't know if it was accurate or not, but per the built-in probe it stayed between 497-507 for the entire 45min time after it came up to temp (set at 500) even with multiple lid openings.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back