Dressed to Kill
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
  4. RT-680
I'm going to brine a butt and thinking about trying my Bullseye for the smoke. Has anyone successfully used the Bullseye for a low and slow cook??

Frankenstein is on the standby if needed :)

As always, thank you for the assistance.

Yeah, this is the same response I got on the firmware. Poor underrated RT-380.

I have the Bullseye warming up and my brined pork butt getting close to room temperature. If the grill is stable I will attempt a 15 hour cook.

I use my Bullseye almost every day, but I haven’t done any really long cooks on it-that’s what the Bull is for. The longest cooks I‘ve done have been chuck roasts, pork loin, whole chickens, etc. so my max time on the Bullseye for a single cook is probably 3.5 hours.

I don’t see any reason why the Bullseye won’t do just fine, but I‘d want to make sure I had a plan to keep pellets in it. For a 15-hour cook, I would expect it would need pellets added at least twice. It just doesn’t have the heat holding mass of the larger grills, and only a 15 pound hopper.

I use my Bullseye almost every day, but I haven’t done any really long cooks on it-that’s what the Bull is for. The longest cooks I‘ve done have been chuck roasts, pork loin, whole chickens, etc. so my max time on the Bullseye for a single cook is probably 3.5 hours.

I don’t see any reason why the Bullseye won’t do just fine, but I‘d want to make sure I had a plan to keep pellets in it. For a 15-hour cook, I would expect it would need pellets added at least twice. It just doesn’t have the heat holding mass of the larger grills, and only a 15 pound hopper.
Hi Greg and thanks for the response.

I'm actually writing a post now and sad to say don't try a long, low and slow cook..... It's been a long night.

Sorry to hear that. Like Greg, I only use it for fast cooks, stuff you would do on a gas grill. In my case my bullseye does not hold low temps well.

Sorry to hear that. Like Greg, I only use it for fast cooks, stuff you would do on a gas grill. In my case my bullseye does not hold low temps well.
I absolutely unequivocally agree with the both of you (y)

I was thinking of selling "Frankenstein" but the Bullseye may the next to go.

If I could only have one grill and one grill only, it would be a trailblazer or stampede. My bullseye is more of a niche. But I do like the Bullseye for burgers and chicken.

If I could only have one grill and one grill only, it would be a trailblazer or stampede. My bullseye is more of a niche. But I do like the Bullseye for burgers and chicken.
Yeah, I understand. Perhaps my expectations were a bit high for the Bullseye.

I made a joke on a thread a few weeks ago that RT bought reject Traeger controllers to put into the Bullseye 😀. No one seemed to appreciate the poor attempt at humor.

I really think that to get to riot mode the auger is probably larger. Because of that it cannot react fast enough on temp swings. This really shows on lower temps. I think Charles does a lot of ribs and things on his. So he may have some advise. If you put a water pan under the grate would it help stabilize temps by acting as an insulator???

I made a joke on a thread a few weeks ago that RT bought reject Traeger controllers to put into the Bullseye 😀. No one seemed to appreciate the poor attempt at humor.

I really think that to get to riot mode the auger is probably larger. Because of that it cannot react fast enough on temp swings. This really shows on lower temps. I think Charles does a lot of ribs and things on his. So he may have some advise. If you put a water pan under the grate would it help stabilize temps by acting as an insulator???
Actually I was trying to find my Traeger controller picture to share with you and can't find it. I think it's on here somewhere. Found it:
traeger.jpg

The Traeger controller that I mention is burned from a electrical type fire. This happened while the grill was covered and un-attended. Lucky for me my son went out on the deck and smelled something burning and the auger running. That's is why I went with the Recteq controller.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back