Bullseye Bullseye modifications

One of the mods that I have been playing with is a combination of a primary heat deflector and a secondary deflector with a grease tray above and a traditional drain through the unit with grease catch bucket. Right now it is in its third prototype (mild carbon steel). The only Modification to the Bullseye is a 3/4" hole in the side for the drain and a 3/16" hole for the mounting hook for the bucket. This should make the Bullseye a perfect smoker and grill. Has anyone else here tried anything similar.
I have not, but I am VERY interested!! Please keep us informed!

I will try to get some pics up soon on it, worth a thousand words. With that said I will still try to describe it. Basically you have a new deflector that replaces the original one and attached to it and below it is a smaller deflector. A little air space between the two. They operate as one. The round grease tray rest on post (bolts)mounted on the top defector. Again a little air space between them. The post are used to elevate the grease tray (20") and to give it a slight pitch for draining. The upper deflector still has holes drilled in the outer edge except where the drain travels to the outside. Then the grates go on and business as usual. Grease tray can be easily removed for normal use or you could just swap out deflectors depending on what you are doing......Then you can recalibrate controls or leave it alone depends on your thoughts on the original set up.

One of the mods that I have been playing with is a combination of a primary heat deflector and a secondary deflector with a grease tray above and a traditional drain through the unit with grease catch bucket. Right now it is in its third prototype (mild carbon steel). The only Modification to the Bullseye is a 3/4" hole in the side for the drain and a 3/16" hole for the mounting hook for the bucket. This should make the Bullseye a perfect smoker and grill. Has anyone else here tried anything similar.
I have been trying something less aggressive but hopefully the same outcome.

Playing with pegboard hangers to elevate a catch pan above the heat deflector. Thought is to prevent grease in the pan from boiling therefore, reducing chances for a fire.

I have been trying something less aggressive but hopefully the same outcome.

Playing with pegboard hangers to elevate a catch pan above the heat deflector. Thought is to prevent grease in the pan from boiling therefore, reducing chances for a fire.
Have you had any luck? I had originally tried just using a elevated grease pan with a drain but ran into a few issues. the addition of the small lower deflector and the lack of holes on the large deflector near the grease drain seems to be in the right direction, but still tinkering with it. The main thing to me is to be able to get the grease/animal fats out of the grill, no grease build up or puddles of animal fats limits or greatly reduces the chance of a fire. I think animal fats can ignite around 350-375. The grease catch pan that I use is a 20" round pan with a 3/4" pipe cut in half long ways welded to the bottom edge of the pan that extends outside the bullseye.

Have you had any luck? I had originally tried just using a elevated grease pan with a drain but ran into a few issues. the addition of the small lower deflector and the lack of holes on the large deflector near the grease drain seems to be in the right direction, but still tinkering with it. The main thing to me is to be able to get the grease/animal fats out of the grill, no grease build up or puddles of animal fats limits or greatly reduces the chance of a fire. I think animal fats can ignite around 350-375. The grease catch pan that I use is a 20" round pan with a 3/4" pipe cut in half long ways welded to the bottom edge of the pan that extends outside the bullseye.
The pegboard hooks can be forced in to the heat deflector holes. I will need to TIG the hooks to form a cradle for the drip pan. Too lazy to drag out TIG.

For those who did the Weber cart mod, what cover did you go with??

I just wanted to raise the height of the Bullseye because I already have a SS cart that sits next to it during cooks. I intended to put 10 inch wheels on this, but HF only had 8 inch wheels in stock. The mod consists of extending the existing wheel axle brackets and drilling the end holes to accomodate a 1/2" axle plus extending the two legs that sit on the ground.

I ride my recumbent trike around the neighborhood and pick up misc. hardware laying on the road. So I already had a long enough length of 1/2" copper grounding rod for the new wheel axle and a chunk of steel channel to form the two extensions for the existing forks. I used a 3" cutoff tool to trim the existing forks so the channel pieces would fit over them. I drilled the appropriate holes in the channel - 3/8" on the top end (to slip over the existing axle ends) and 1/2" on the bottom (for the wheel axle). I welded these extensions on, but you could also bolt or pop-rivet them in place if you have a drill and the appropriate hardware. You cut off the excess 3/8" axle ends after your new extensions are in place. The wheels are held in place by a washer and a cotter pin or spring clip, so you have to drill holes in the axle for this purpose.

For the two legs that simply sit on the ground, I found that 1" PVC plumbing pipe slips perfectly over them so I cut appropriate lengths and capped them accordingly after drilling holes and through-bolting the extensions in place.

I raised my Bullseye about 3 inches, but if you use this method, you are limited within reason only by your creativity and access to tools and parts.

This cost me a cash outlay of $15 for the mod - wheels at HF. I also had to use up some spray paint and a few welding rods. The other stuff I found laying on the road, which is a story for another day.

Attachments

• IMG_20220610_111822715_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220610_111822715_HDR.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20220610_161329891_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220610_161329891_HDR.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20220610_161303033.jpg
    IMG_20220610_161303033.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20220610_161235734.jpg
    IMG_20220610_161235734.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20220610_161155841_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220610_161155841_HDR.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20220610_123550462_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220610_123550462_HDR.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20220610_123544532_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220610_123544532_HDR.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20220610_111832664_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220610_111832664_HDR.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 239
Nice clean mod. Looks good.

Nice modification! When I made breakfast on my Bullseye this morning, I again was reminded how I dislike bending over and trying to flip bacon and eggs.

For a grease tray I bought a 16 inch pizza pan from Walmart. It has a handle on each side and when placed in the Bullseye the handles keep the pan about midway between the heat deflector and the grill. There is about 2 inches of clearance around the pan and the kettle to allow heat and smoke come up to the grill, of course except where the handles are located. Good for slow cooking.

For a grease tray I bought a 16 inch pizza pan from Walmart. It has a handle on each side and when placed in the Bullseye the handles keep the pan about midway between the heat deflector and the grill. There is about 2 inches of clearance around the pan and the kettle to allow heat and smoke come up to the grill, of course except where the handles are located. Good for slow cooking.
Do you have a photo?

Great idea! This seems like the perfect replacement for rusted diffusers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back