Dressed to Kill
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
  4. RT-680
Following my Weber heritage I was thinking of installing a thermometer in the lid of my Bullseye.
Appears that RT installed the thermometer on earlier models but currently sold out.

Anyone else done this or is it just a bad idea in general??

Here is what I'm looking at may be to accurate for this purpose thermometer
Looks good to me. Just be sure of the stem length you want. I think it would be nice to have another tool to cook with. But it could just add confusion. At least you would have a quick indicator if you had a grease fire.

Looks good to me. Just be sure of the stem length you want. I think it would be nice to have another tool to cook with. But it could just add confusion. At least you would have a quick indicator if you had a grease fire.
That was the shortest stem I saw. I didn't want to go to long on length so food like a turkey would get in the way. I have used these thermometer and the price is less.

The issue with lid thermos is your not getting accurate cooking temps. Cooking temps your worried about are at grill level. Secondly those types arent quite accurate to begin with.

But again to each it's own.

Just purchased a grill surface temp thermo from Amazon. Analog, just lay it on the surface where you want to check temp. Brand: Acurite, $12. I tested it against my ThermoPro and it was right on at 350.(+-) Range up to 600F (320 C). Easier to use than having to hook up for testing. Can pick it up or move around with grill tools. It is slow to respond compared to the probes, but adequate.
IMG_0872.jpeg

Just purchased a grill surface temp thermo from Amazon. Analog, just lay it on the surface where you want to check temp. Brand: Acurite, $12. I tested it against my ThermoPro and it was right on at 350.(+-) Range up to 600F (320 C). Easier to use than having to hook up for testing. Can pick it up or move around with grill tools. It is slow to respond compared to the probes, but adequate.
View attachment 8218
Now that's a better idea, thanks.
Would you be kind enough to provide a link?? All I see is the 3118 for $15

I have the original Bullseye model. It came with a thermometer installed on the lid. It's not one that can be calibrated, so it is off a little in my testing, and can't be calibrated like many of these can be. If you do go with a top thermometer installation, be sure and spend the extra $0.25 on a thermometer that can be calibrated with a little screw on the bottom side.

I have the original Bullseye model. It came with a thermometer installed on the lid. It's not one that can be calibrated, so it is off a little in my testing, and can't be calibrated like many of these can be. If you do go with a top thermometer installation, be sure and spend the extra $0.25 on a thermometer that can be calibrated with a little screw on the bottom side.
Good point, thanks (y)

Used it again yesterday for grilling salmon on a griddle in my 380. Set 380 control to 400*. Placed the thermometer on the griddle surface. Ended up with actual control temp of 406* and griddle temp of 400*+-. Got a perfect result IMO. Took wet rag with detergent to clean the spattered grease spots off the thermometer. Nice to be able to move it around when needed and know that it is accurate. However, it still is slow to respond. Not often needed for hot and sear work but nice when you want lower controlled temps. i.e. for spatchcocked chicken, drumsticks, wings.

For those interested.

I found the Accurite 3118 on Amazon for $15 and $10 on eBay. I figured for $10 I would give it a try before drilling a hole.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back