Bullseye Bullseye Leaks Grease

Actually I said I don’t know what they call it, and I made an uneducated guess that it may be only leaking on the outside. I don’t know if it is or is not totally enclosed.
@Greg Jones RT said in an email that the airbox is completely enclosed. I was letting you know for your info. Wonder how it could be completely enclosed since the firepot is mounted in it! What do you think of the foil pans? I think much better fit. The distance from grill to deflector plate is about 3 inches.

Ah, I see now! I thought you were responding to someone that is what I had said. Sorry for the confusion.

The pans are perfect, although you don’t need to pay more for the lids. Here is my hotel pan of the same size to give you an idea. Note the hotel pan will look a little larger as it has a big lip.

Attachments

• FBD69715-7043-4F0C-A91A-B9683433FF66.jpeg
    FBD69715-7043-4F0C-A91A-B9683433FF66.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 141
@Greg Jones thanks. So I am going to order the foil pans and lids. They are Half Size Deep Foil Pans - Depth = 2 9/16 Inches, Top Length = 12 3/4 Inches, Top Width = 10 3/8 Inches. You know me Greg, I don't like to clean anything if I don't half too. LOL. I want the lids too to help prevent a mess if tip the pan too much and grease might fall out. Then I will just throw the pan and lid away.

Now, with the pans figured out I still don't like the idea of taking off the hot grill to remove the grease pan, put the grill back on, then turn up to riot mode to clean out the body, deflector plate, and cooking grill. I may still try out leaving the grease pan in the grill and going to riot mode for the cleaning. Do you think I might cause a grease fire?

Sounds like a good opportunity for something to go wrong. A thin foil pan, with nothing separating it from a flame thrower other than the deflector... Melting point of aluminum is 1,220*F, but it still could get hot enough to ignite the grease. Plus the pan is going to insulate the grate somewhat, so riot mode might not be as effective at cleaning.

You could invest in one of the hotel pans like I pictured, then use the foil pans as a liner. At the end of your cook, lift up one side of the grate with one hand and lift out the hotel pan and liner with another.

Sounds like a good opportunity for something to go wrong. A thin foil pan, with nothing separating it from a flame thrower other than the deflector... Melting point of aluminum is 1,220*F, but it still could get hot enough to ignite the grease. Plus the pan is going to insulate the grate somewhat, so riot mode might not be as effective at cleaning.

You could invest in one of the hotel pans like I pictured, then use the foil pans as a liner. At the end of your cook, lift up one side of the grate with one hand and lift out the hotel pan and liner with another.
Excellent idea @Greg Jones. Thanks. I was thinking of letting the wife hold the grill up with my grill grate lifter while I took out the grease pan. But your way with the hotel pan I could do it all by myself. RT wanted pics of the inside bottom of my Bullseye body for some reason. I don't know what they can do. It is what it is. I guess I could use the hi temp RTV and seal up everything like Grilltreats did. Is that your new SS grill on your Bullseye?

I’d send them all the good pics you can get. Don’t seal up anything until you hear back from them. Who knows how they might make it up to you? Perhaps even a new grill.

Yes, that’s my SS grate-I’ve never used the factory grate yet.

@Greg Jones I heard back from RT. They are now concerned that grease may have gotten down into the airbox. They want me to remove the firepot and clean up any grease that might have gotten down into the airbox. Then reinstall the firepot with hi temp RTV. This sounds like lots of fun.

We did a prime rib for 3 hours, I found a lot of drippings on my deck floor after. I was wondering what caused it.
Look it over good to see if you can tell where the leaks came from. Next time for a cook like that I would use a drip pan.

Look it over good to see if you can tell where the leaks came from. Next time for a cook like that I would use a drip pan.
Hey Folks,
I watched the Bullseye video from Smokin' Steve above.
A couple of note worthy items:
1) Appears to me that Smokin' Steve had his heat diffuser installed upside down.
2) The Bullseye that Steve is using is different from the last released grills. If you look closely Smokin Steve has 6 nuts/bolts in the grill bowl area where the newer grills doesn't have those penetrations.
3) Re-sealing that firebox looks worse than the RTD I replaced.

Actually I said I don’t know what they call it, and I made an uneducated guess that it may be only leaking on the outside. I don’t know if it is or is not totally enclosed.

My Bullseye is leaking grease from the bottom of the body onto the bottom shelf. Anyone else having this issue? What is RT’s fix for grease leaks?

I hope it is not just a tube of High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket. That would be a PITA to clean the body so the silicone can be applied.

View attachment 6784View attachment 6785View attachment 6786View attachment 6787
Mine is leaking just like yours. I called rec tech and they said they was having a issue about that. He told me to tip it up and let the grease run out and then clean around the fire pot with some sand paper and put more high temp silicone around the fire box they sent me. Myself I am trying to find a way to take the fire box out if not to hard or I am just going to drill a hole at the end where it starts to curve. Mine is making a mess

Mine is leaking just like yours. I called rec tech and they said they was having a issue about that. He told me to tip it up and let the grease run out and then clean around the fire pot with some sand paper and put more high temp silicone around the fire box they sent me. Myself I am trying to find a way to take the fire box out if not to hard or I am just going to drill a hole at the end where it starts to curve. Mine is making a mess
The old style leg screws penetrate the bowl assembly where the grease collects. The newer version doesn't have the screw penetration.

I made a PaPa Murphy's deep dish pizza on the 380 that comes with an alum. pan and now I have the perfect sized drip pan that I use over and over. I always use a drip pan and never have had a grease fire. I also run it on riot mode for cleaning, it turns it all to ash for easy cleanup. There is no grease in my 380 and ya i clean it after every cook :rolleyes:.

I don't own a Bullseye, but on my komado, I put a common disposable "turkey" tray (found in markets) under the grate on the diffuser. It captures more grease drip area than those restaurant 1/2 trays the guys posting last year in this thread were using. The trays I've been using are oval and about 18" long.

But, I don't just put the tray in there. First, I line the turkey tray with heavy duty (wide roll) aluminum foil. The foil isn't quite wide enough to allow it to fully go from side to side with full contact on the bottom. This creates an air gap between the foil and tray, which reduces the temperature of the captured grease. When it gets dirty enough or catches enough grease, I simply replace the foil and toss the old grease with the foil. My disposable turkey tray will last many cooks before It gets bent up and nasty enough to replace.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back