charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
My Bullseye is leaking grease from the bottom of the body onto the bottom shelf. Anyone else having this issue? What is RT’s fix for grease leaks?

I hope it is not just a tube of High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket. That would be a PITA to clean the body so the silicone can be applied.

Bullseye Leak Back.jpg
Bullseye Leak Bottom Shelf.jpg
Bullseye Leak Front.jpg
Bullseye Leak Side.jpg

Mine has never accumulated much grease. It all pretty much burns off the deflector plate while cooking. I would say my grill gets about 50/50 use for hi-temp and smoking. And if it starts looking especially dirty; I run it through the "RIOT" mode.

Mine has never accumulated much grease. It all pretty much burns off the deflector plate while cooking. I would say my grill gets about 50/50 use for hi-temp and smoking. And if it starts looking especially dirty; I run it through the "RIOT" mode.
I cooked ribs so it was a four hour cook. I use the riot mode after each use to clean the deflector plate and grill.

Mine is showing no signs of leaking. However I only use it for fast and hot cooks like chicken wings, legs, steaks ECT. The long cooks at low temp I do on my Trailblazer which has a large drip tray and grease bucket.

My guess is since the ribs are long and fatty, the grease was dripping through the holes in the deflector plate. Since it was a 4 hour cook it had a chance to accumulate and really no way to burn off.

Here is response from Recteq. Might as well use my Stampede.

I recommend putting a foil pan on the heat deflector if you are doing lower temp/greasy cooks, because the barrels are not air tight and there is no drip pan like our other models have. That’s how we do here at Recteq!

Can you help @Greg Jones? What is the cover called that goes over the firepot and auger tube? In the pics the grease is coming out over the edges of the cover that is against the body. Is this cover full of grease now? Do you think I should take the cover off and clean out the grease?

Attachments

• Bullseye Leak Back.jpg
    Bullseye Leak Back.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 109
  • Bullseye Leak Front.jpg
    Bullseye Leak Front.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • Bullseye Leak Side.jpg
    Bullseye Leak Side.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 96
I don’t know what the recteq term is for that cover, but if it were mine I would be reluctant to take it apart to get inside that cover. My uneducated guess is that it is leaking around the outside only. I’d clean the outside, use the drip pan as they suggested, and/or do a high temp burn after a low and slow cook to burn off the grease. Try that and see if the leaks stop.

I don’t know what the recteq term is for that cover, but if it were mine I would be reluctant to take it apart to get inside that cover. My uneducated guess is that it is leaking around the outside only. I’d clean the outside, use the drip pan as they suggested, and/or do a high temp burn after a low and slow cook to burn off the grease. Try that and see if the leaks stop.
Thanks @Greg Jones. After every cook I turn up the temp to riot to burn off everything. Now I have to contend with a drip pan. Do you leave the drip pan in your Bullseye during the hi temp burn?

I don’t think that full size pan will work. It may fit on the grate on the bottom, but the sides flair out at the top. I also don’t like the disposable pans. I use different stainless hotel pans a lot on my smokers. Here is the one I’m using on the Bullseye, a half size stainless pan 2.5” deep and under $11.00.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VZCREA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Thanks @Greg Jones. I didn't think about that. Also I think they might be too deep too to fit between the deflector plate and cooking grill. I would rather use a disposable drip pan so I can throw it away. Do you leave the drip pan in your Bullseye during the hi temp burn?

A 4” pans will just fit between the grate and the deflector, I expect that is intentional.

I do not leave the drip pan in, but then I’m not throwing my pan away. But to ask a question back, why would you need a hi-temp burn if you are collecting all the drippings with a pan?

A 4” pans will just fit between the grate and the deflector, I expect that is intentional.

I do not leave the drip pan in, but then I’m not throwing my pan away. But to ask a question back, why would you need a hi-temp burn if you are collecting all the drippings with a pan?

So does all the drippings go into the grease pan? The hi-temp burn cleans the deflector plate, cooking grill, and anything else inside the body that needs to be cleaned. It has been working out super great for me until this grease dripping on my bottom shelf started. So now when I am done cooking I have to take the hot grill off, take out the grease pan, put the grill back on and then do the riot mode hi burn clean out. What a PITA. I think RT should put something in the operation manual that a grease pan is required. It is the main reason I got a Bullseye is because of no grease pan and grease bucket to contend with.

So does all the drippings go into the grease pan?
Depends on what you are cooking. I can cook a whole spatchcock chicken or a roast, or meatloaf, and it’s perfect. Anything larger like a rack of rib(s), a pork butt, etc. and I’m not using the Bullseye anyway.

The way I approach my recteq tools is the Bull is a smoker that can also double as a grill, and the Bullseye is a grill that can double as a smoker. Neither one is perfect at all things.

Why don't you pull the screws and put some Heat sealant under them? Mine was dripping all over my deck on first use. I did what I am recommending and have never had a leak again in 1.5 years now. Yes. I have the original Bullseye.

@Greg Jones RT says the cover that goes over the firepot and auger tube is called the airbox and it is completely enclosed. So there is no access point for grease to come in the airbox. I suggested to RT that they should mention something in the Bullseye manual about having to use a drip pan for long and slow fatty meats.

What do you think of this size foil pan to set on top the defector plate?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KFN4TG...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

@Greg Jones RT says the cover that goes over the firepot and auger tube is called the airbox and it is completely enclosed. So there is no access point for grease to come in the airbox...
Actually I said I don’t know what they call it, and I made an uneducated guess that it may be only leaking on the outside. I don’t know if it is or is not totally enclosed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back