Bullseye Heat Deflector Seasoning

I’ve used more of the RT competition blend than anything, over 280# in the past year. It’s a very nice pellet, very clean, low ash, not overbearing, and for the pellet that fuels my grills, I like it best. I supplement often with apple pellets in a smoke tube or actually cherry hardwood placed on the top of the diffuser (I’m a woodworker that works often with cherry, so I have plenty of free scraps to do this).
OK, thanks. I think I will try out the competition pellets for my Bullseye when she comes.

OK, thanks. I think I will try out the competition pellets for my Bullseye when she comes.
Note that I changed my original reply to you on the Competition pellets. What I intended to say is that I like the RT Ultimate pellets best, but Ive had good results with the LJ Competition as well.

Frankly, with some exceptions, I find pellet smoke preference to be similar to what I experience with people describing the taste of different bourbons (a hint of oak, mint, with pepper overtones...). I really prefer pellets with low ash and high energy (fuel efficient) to any minor nuisances of flavor. Then I add flavor with the smoke tube and/or wood on the diffuser.

Note that I changed my original reply to you on the Competition pellets. What I intended to say is that I like the RT Ultimate pellets best, but Ive had good results with the LJ Competition as well.

Frankly, with some exceptions, I find pellet smoke preference to be similar to what I experience with people describing the taste of different bourbons (a hint of oak, mint, with pepper overtones...). I really prefer pellets with low ash and high energy (fuel efficient) to any minor nuisances of flavor. Then I add flavor with the smoke tube and/or wood on the diffuser.
Gotcha, I knew you met the RT Ultimate pellets. So you think the LJ competition will be a little milder than the hickory? Did you take the AS protector grate out of your Bullseye's pellet hopper? I tried to take the one out of my Stampede but the screws are tighter than hell. I may have to drill them out.

Nope, protector grate still intact here.
My shop vac is the old large hose model. Are there shop vacs with a smaller hose that can get down pass the protector grate openings? I want to suck out them there hickory pellets out of my Stampede.

I use the Home Depot Bucket Boss. Perfect for this, and not pricey.
@Greg Jones is this the bucket boss?

1597100445088.png

That’s it. You need to supply your own 5 gal bucket. I use mine only for this task, so the pellets don’t get contaminated with other crap.
So that hose is small enough to go thru the protector grate?

@Greg Jones check out this Bullseye custom stainless steel heat deflector and grill grate this guy had made in the FB group. I wonder if the food taste any different with a SS deflector plate versus the original plate! What do you think? Pretty cool I think. Wouldn't have any rust issues.

Attachments

• SS Defector Plate.jpg
    SS Defector Plate.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 87
@Greg Jones check out this Bullseye custom stainless steel heat deflector and grill grate this guy had made in the FB group. I wonder if the food taste any different with a SS deflector plate versus the original plate! What do you think? Pretty cool I think. Wouldn't have any rust issues.
On the grates, I think they look awesome when new, but I don’t know how i would feel about them after they are used and all those tight corners of the custom logos start filling up with food crud that nothing short of a toothbrush will get into. I actually bought this grate recently, and it’s the beefiest grate I’ve ever seen on any grill. Interesting that it cost $39.95 when I bought mine, up to $59.95 now.
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/beefy-stainless-steel-grill-grate

I have reservations about the stainless deflectors. I’m sure that they would last a long time, but the stock Bullseye deflector has raised ribs that keep the drippings in the center on the deflector, where they can burn off rather than running off the edge and landing in the bottom of the grill. It would be interesting to hear from someone that has a SS deflector to see if grease runoff is a problem.

I have an old baking steel that I haven’t used in years that I’m going to experiment with. It’s the same diameter of the deflector, is I believe 5/16 or 3/8 thick, weighs over 20#, and years ago I warped it a little using it over a 60,000 BTU propane burner. The warp is very slight, but it might just keep all the drippings on the steel and not running off the edge.

On the grates, I think they look awesome when new, but I don’t know how i would feel about them after they are used and all those tight corners of the custom logos start filling up with food crud that nothing short of a toothbrush will get into. I actually bought this grate recently, and it’s the beefiest grate I’ve ever seen on any grill. Interesting that it cost $39.95 when I bought mine, up to $59.95 now.
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/beefy-stainless-steel-grill-grate

I have reservations about the stainless deflectors. I’m sure that they would last a long time, but the stock Bullseye deflector has raised ribs that keep the drippings in the center on the deflector, where they can burn off rather than running off the edge and landing in the bottom of the grill. It would be interesting to hear from someone that has a SS deflector to see if grease runoff is a problem.

I have an old baking steel that I haven’t used in years that I’m going to experiment with. It’s the same diameter of the deflector, is I believe 5/16 or 3/8 thick, weighs over 20#, and years ago I warped it a little using it over a 60,000 BTU propane burner. The warp is very slight, but it might just keep all the drippings on the steel and not running off the edge.
Thanks @Greg Jones. You bring up all good points. I am going to leave well enough alone. I really like the Bullseye grill grate is ceramic coated I still keep thinking of that video where that guy had lava rocks on top of his deflector plate. Wonder why he did that and if it makes a difference in food taste with all them there juices dripping on the hot lava rocks!

Last edited:
Check this video out @Greg Jones. This guy talks some about the meat juices hitting the defector plate.

Another neat video on the Bullseye.

Yes, fruitwood is milder, 100% hickory and especially mesquite are going to give you the strongest flavors. Cherry is my favorite for more delicate meats like poultry and fish.
On my first cook of chicken thighs I put some cherry chunks on top of the heat deflector. I use cherry all the time for chicken in my stick burner and prefer that flavor. Both my wife and I could taste the cherry mixed in with the smoke flavor from the Recteq competition blend in the chicken cooked on the RT-700. It was very tasty.

My shop vac is the old large hose model. Are there shop vacs with a smaller hose that can get down pass the protector grate openings? I want to suck out them there hickory pellets out of my Stampede.
Home Depot sells a kit designed for cleaning a car interior. It’s small diameter, but includes an adapter so it can be used with a large diameter vacuum port.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back