Bullseye Bullseye Getting hotter than set point

GrillorBeGrilled

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Hey all,
Was just wondering if this is normal. This happened during my initial burn in but is now happening with my first cook. I have set the temperature to 225. It is about 100° outside. The grill heated up to over 400 degrees and is now intermittently running the fan and slowly cooling down. To ate it along I've opened up the grill. Is this normal for the unit?

Why would a PID need to settle in? Just curious.

Why would a PID need to settle in? Just curious.
The only explanation that I can offer, that makes reasonable sense, is that the controllers do ‘learn’ and adjust the algorithm automatically. My personal experience with five of their controllers plus many, many, posts here suggest that the grills have wild temp swings on the first few cooks, then stabilize.

My experience with the Bullseye is wild temp swings are just something you have to live with. On the low end you get spikes upwards of a 100-200 degrees, then when cooking hot you can get dips of 100-200 degrees. The controller they use in the Bullseye IMO does not live up to the reputation the RT-700/590/340 built; it almost seems as if controller rejects from those lines get stuck in the Bullseye.

My experience with the Bullseye is wild temp swings are just something you have to live with. On the low end you get spikes upwards of a 100-200 degrees, then when cooking hot you can get dips of 100-200 degrees. The controller they use in the Bullseye IMO does not live up to the reputation the RT-700/590/340 built; it almost seems as if controller rejects from those lines get stuck in the Bullseye.
I

I did the burn in at 400 for an hour and internal temp was 575.... I proceeded to grill chicken thighs with temp set at 350. My oven thermometers both stayed around 450 and a massive flare up happened! There's nothing quite like learning to use a new grill...

I regret to say that I agree with your assessment.
I have noticed that when the grill gets stuck moving the set point seems to help. As mentioned it appears that the controller is locked up for some reason, it's not "set it and forget it" like the other RT products.

I regret to say that I agree with your assessment.
I have noticed that when the grill gets stuck moving the set point seems to help. As mentioned it appears that the controller is locked up for some reason, it's not "set it and forget it" like the other RT products.
I wish it weren't so as the Bullseye has some great potential and is just about perfect in concept for what I want.

Hey all,
Was just wondering if this is normal. This happened during my initial burn in but is now happening with my first cook. I have set the temperature to 225. It is about 100° outside. The grill heated up to over 400 degrees and is now intermittently running the fan and slowly cooling down. To ate it along I've opened up the grill. Is this normal for the unit?
I have had it happen to me before. Currently, I am about five degrees hotter, than my set-point.

I found my Bullseye ran hot. I would set it to a temp, the actual indicated by the controller was showing it had hit the set temp, but a separate grill thermometer was showing 75 degrees higher. I calibrated it by setting the offset to 18 on the controller and this brought the temp down to indicated. Since then the set temp and actual temp on the controller were equal to the temp measured by a separate thermometer.

I have had to put my offset to +20 and its now usually within 5-25 degrees of my Thermoworks grill temp probe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back