Bullseye Cook Turkey cold weather?

JohnT60451

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Hi. I have a RT-B380 and a GIANT Thanksgiving this year. I have to get two BIG turkeys cooked. I live in a cold area and the high on thanksgiving day will be in the 30s-40s. No prediction of rain or snow.

I’ve never used the grill that cold. If I spatchcock a 22 pound turkey and toss her on the grill will I run into any challenges aside from keeping the pellets coming?

So, you say you need to cook two,~ 22# turkeys but you don’t say that you want to smoke both of them? I’ll say that planning on a project this ambitious project and expecting success is the ultimate expression of optimism! No way that two spatchcocked turkeys will even fit on a Bullseye at the same time. Perhaps plan on one in the kitchen, the other on the Bullseye.From experience, not everyone will like a smoked turkey, so this addresses both challenges in your plan.

So, you say you need to cook two,~ 22# turkeys but you don’t say that you want to smoke both of them? I’ll say that planning on a project this ambitious project and expecting success is the ultimate expression of optimism! No way that two spatchcocked turkeys will even fit on a Bullseye at the same time. Perhaps plan on one in the kitchen, the other on the Bullseye.From experience, not everyone will like a smoked turkey, so this addresses both challenges in your plan.
Thanks! I apologize that my message was ambiguous; my plan was to cook one in the oven and spatchcock the second one and put it onto the grill. Based on your comment, I am assuming that that is not any kind of a problem, even with the cold weather. So I’m feeling somewhat relieved. Thanks so much for responding!

Too late to change your plan for this year, but I’d rather cook multiple 12-14# birds than two-22# birds. The bigger birds, chicken-or turkey, are just now as flavorable.
So, I posted again before reading your response. I think you are spot-on for cooking one on the Bullseye. Good luck!

I’m a big fan of spatchcocked turkey (and chicken). Don’t know that I will do either on my Bullseye this year, but I absolutely plan on doing my 14# turkey this year, spatchcocked r on a pellet grill.

I have seen posts about spatchcocked turkeys and chickens but never done it. Is it easy to do? Also, if you are looking for a good smoked turkey recipe I follow the recteq turkey video and have not had a complaint. In fact my mom asked if I was doing it again this year which says I must be doing it right.

I have seen posts about spatchcocked turkeys and chickens but never done it. Is it easy to do? Also, if you are looking for a good smoked turkey recipe I follow the recteq turkey video and have not had a complaint. In fact my mom asked if I was doing it again this year which says I must be doing it right.
Yes it is easy to spatchcock the birds. There are lots of You Tube demos. Be sure to invest in a good poultry shear. That is all you need to do it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back